Long Iron or Hybrid? Why do you play what you play?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Lets get some more golf talk going.

Title says it all, where do you sit, and why?

Used to go down to 4I and skipped hybos all together. Was never really consistent with either.

Now Ive stopped at 5I and use a 4H and have been hitting it well (and consistent) which is the key since Im not that consistent with any 4I (yet).

I do have a 5H too, Id like to get some numbers with it vs the X forged 6I (for gapping) and the I200 5I

Currently longest traditional Iron I have is a 6I, and even that is a GI club. I then have a SGI 5I, followed by a 4H then into the FW.

Personally I am not a high ball hitter, have limited swing speed and find I need all the help I can getting the ball elevated and from going right to left. So hybrids, or at least SGI irons are usually a better fit for me at that part of the bag.

I'd rather hit a Hybrid or a FW Wood, but I will go through periods where I just lose those clubs and the only thing I feel confidence hitting are long irons. Pretty much takes any chance of a par 5 in 2 off the table though.

I play hybrids because my proximity is better with them. No other reason and I am often putting a 6iron up against my 6 hybrid hoping to kick the 6 hybrid out. Just about to have another 6 iron v 6 hybrid contest with my new irons.

• Staff
I've been a die hard hybrid guy in the 4/5 spot for a bit, but this year the Fli-Hi's have changed that and I've got them in the 4/5/6. They're not true IRONS, so I guess I'm a tweener.

I am a long iron type of guy and haven't put a hybrid in play for almost an entire year. Just feel more comfortable with it.

I play up to the 4 iron and have considered giving the 3 iron-ish utility a shot in the bag once again. I just feel much more comfortable playing irons out of any lie. But with a perfect lie the hybrid is preferred, which is why I still game the 3 hybrid at the top.

I use a 4I, 3H, & 2H. I prefer both to woods.i just hit a more consistent line with an iron type club than I do with a wood.

No hybrids for me, 3,5,&7 woods, I can still hit a 5 iron good enough. Never cared for the heaviness of a hybrid.

I used to be a 2 hybrid player for a while. Not one specifically, but one to fill gaps. For the longest time i would stop at a 6i, but now i'm back to carrying a 5i and looking to add a 4hybrid. For me it boils down to hitting hybrids more consistently than longer irons and the yardage gaps it covers opens up a spot at the bottom of the bag for an extra wedge.

I've played a hybrid in the 4 iron spot for the past couple of years. The Apex seems like a perfect replacement in that spot. However, I'm pretty interested in trying out a Utility Iron in that spot just to see how it works.

I was fit for a 4 iron and a UT in the 3 iron spot.

I'm currently taking advantage of the no-putting during sim league thing and carrying a 3 hybrid too.

Based on what I've seen so far when the season starts I'll probably be playing the hybrid more often than not.

It took a ton of experimentation to find a hybrid I liked, but now that I've got one it's one of my most trusted clubs when I absolutely have to find a fairway.

Always had a 3/4 hybrid.

During my fitting we tried like hell with the 4iron but it just wasn't going that high, more like line drives. Hybrid elevates easily.

I carry a 5 iron then jump up to a 5w. I’m not trying to hit a green from that far out, so I might as well get myself to a playable wedge number and have a better putt. In theory at least.

Have been trying out 3 hybrids in the bag. A 19, 22, and 25 degree Callaway Big Bertha OS. The 25 is taking some getting used to. Hitting it a little too high. I used to choke down on the 22* to get the distance I needed. Irons start at the 6I as of now. I find that I am getting better contact, distance and keeping shots in play a little better with the hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long iron...transition I made recently. I used to really really love hybrids but then started to struggle with dispersion. Initially it started out as finding something I could hit off tee on long par 3's or par 4's/5's when driver isn't needed so went with a 2i. Much to my surprise I could consistently hit it well off the deck so also added the same make/model 3i and 4i.

In summary it's not a distance club for me so mishits is what I'm looking at. Mishits with long irons at least stay mostly straight for me so I find myself seeing less penalty strokes with this setup as compared to hybrids where I could miss both ways with.

I carry a 3 iron and a driving 2 iron. I prefer the look of irons over hybrids and in the past I've played several hybrids and hit massive hooks. I want to take the hook out of play which is a big reason for the long irons.

I’m playing a 3/4 lofted up to 22 degrees but it is the least dependable club in the bag. I’m thinking a graphite shafted GI 4i would serve me best.

Irons go 5 to AW. Carry a 3W, 3H, and 4H. Used to carry a 4-iron, but realized all I used it for was punching out of trees. I tend to cut my 5-iron a tad more than I'd like, but I'm not ready to give that up.....it's still very useful on punch shots.

My hybrids can go sideways on me when the swing gets sloppy. But when I'm swinging well, they're arguably my best clubs in the bag.

I hit my hybrid way better than I hit my 4 iron.

Lowest iron is a 5. Have a 2 and 4 hybrid. So much easier to launch for me. Recently replaced the 5W with the 2H. Right near the top of my favorite clubs already. Loft states it is a 2 iron or 5W replacement. I can't imagine trying to hit a 2 iron. The hybrids are just easy to hit for me. Can make a much less stressed swing from distance.

I go from 6 iron to 5 hybrid. Way more
confident in my hybrid than a 5 or 4 iron. I am able to elevate hybrids 4 or 5 irons not so much

definitely hybo for me, although i do have a 4i in the bag right now.

i made the decision because it's a pretty easy one. i don't launch the ball very high, and i certainly don't spin it very much. i appreciate the designs that help with both.

Hybrid. Why?... Hybrid gives me better flight characteristics with less effort than a comparable long iron. Additionally, I can put a little more into a hybrid swing, and get a bit more distance (still with better flight characteristics) than I can going after a long iron.

Back