Thread: Pro Am stories ...

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Pro Am stories ...

Played in my first ever Pro-Am tournament. It was AMAZING and I finished 5th (out of the amateurs).

Highly recommend this to anyone. Format was 3 amateurs and a pro. Was windy, stormy and conditions were tough (pro winning score was even par)

But what a great day, great conversation with a junior pro (club pro not touring pro).

Winner (Michael Long) is turning 50 this year and going back to Q school for the US seniors.

Anyone else had a great experience?

So many nuggets of info gained. Mostly it was about staying in the game and scrambling.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
    My *NEW* Golfing Goals ...

1) Get to 2 - I achieved 5 and then dropped back to 7 so its time to step it up a level
    2) (Carried Over) Shoot a Sub par round (Best Round so far - even par)
    3) Start a golf related side hussle project

4) Keep taking Truvis pictures https://www.instagram.com/golfwithchriso97

Handicap
    4.2 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    592 Posts
    I got to play in a couple of Pro-Ams for the Champions Tour Toshiba Senior Classic at Newport Beach Country Club in 1996 and again in 2001. In 1996 I played with Larry Mowry in the morning Pro-Am on Wednesday, and J.C. Snead in the afternoon Pro-Am on Thursday. Mowry and his caddie offered a lot of tips and were very friendly. For the first few holes, Snead was somewhat standoffish. He was driving a cart with a young, attractive blonde (his niece?). He would sit in the cart until it was time for him to hit until we heard her say to him on the 4th or 5th hole, "Go join those guys on the tee. They pay a lot of money to play with you pros." At that point he joined us on the tee while we were waiting to tee off and told a joke and was generally OK to play with the rest of the way, though a little sarcastic at times when putts were missed.

In 2001 I played with Bob Eastwood one day (can't say much about that round or him as nothing stand out) and Hubert Green the next day. Green was extremely friendly, answered any and all of our questions, had some great stories and provided insight into how caddies are compensated on both tours. He couldn't putt with a darn, however! :)

I also got to play in a charity pro-am back in the 1990's called the Ben Willie Darrell East Austin Youth Classic, named after the three name draws, Ben Crenshaw, Willie Nelson and Darrell Royal former UT coach. It was a six man scramble, 5 people you brought and a celebrity, who, in our case, was former Cowboy linebacker Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson. He was a big guy but was in the process of taking lessons and couldn't hit the ball out of his shadow. So the day of the Pro-Am there was no warm-up allowed as the range at the Barton Creek resort is too small and couldn't accommodate everyone so to be fair no one got to hit balls before going off. We start off on a par 4 where you tee off over a ravine and there were deep gullies/ravines right and left. So I was designated the "A" player and was last to tee off, 6th. When I step up on the tee we don't have a ball we can find much less play! Talk about pressure! Fortunately I hit a pretty good drive down the middle and we were off to a nice round of golf. At that time, Mickey Mantle was still alive and he was set up at a par 3 and you could get an autographed baseball from him one of two ways. He would tee off. If your shot was inside his the ball was free; otherwise the cost, all for charity, was $100.
    Proud Member of Team THP for the 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway!!
    Thanks and

Driver: Epic 10.5 D/+1 - Weight Full Draw
    FWs: XR16 4W / X-Hot 5W
    Hybrid: X-Hot 22
    Irons: Apex CF16 5-AW
    SW: MD3 54 S / LW: MD3 58 W
    Putter:
    Ball:
    2018 Chrome Soft

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Phil75070 View Post
    At that time, Mickey Mantle was still alive and he was set up at a par 3 and you could get an autographed baseball from him one of two ways. He would tee off. If your shot was inside his the ball was free; otherwise the cost, all for charity, was $100.
    So ... Did you get a ball ??? And did it cost you ???

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
    My *NEW* Golfing Goals ...

1) Get to 2 - I achieved 5 and then dropped back to 7 so its time to step it up a level
    2) (Carried Over) Shoot a Sub par round (Best Round so far - even par)
    3) Start a golf related side hussle project

4) Keep taking Truvis pictures https://www.instagram.com/golfwithchriso97