Do you have a hole that owns you?

rxk9fan

Reaction score
Handicap
Tell us about the hole and what about it eats your lunch!

Number 8 is the shortest par 4 on my home course and trashes more rounds than any other hole I have ever played. My average score is a double. Somehow I averaged 4.5 on it during the four rounds that made up my two top three finishes in our club championships...well ahead of the field.
The hole plays about 340 yards and is a severe dogleg right. The green is protected by a pond on one side and by a creek on the other and across the front. A road runs behind it. Heavy timber runs on the right side from the tee to the small green. A thinner band of trees and OB guard the left side of the fairway. The hole requires a very precise 185 yards off the tee unless you can hit it 185 with additional yards after turning 90 degrees right inside of a 20 yard wide fairway. If you can hit the precise 185, you are left with another 155 to a small green and zero places to miss.

I have tried playing it as a par 5 and I think I have tried to tee off with about everything but my putter. I honestly find this hole almost impossible to par. I have played this course at least a 1000 times and probably have 15 birdies.

Do you have one of these?

Certainly do. #11 at Morgan Creek.

It's a 410 yard par 4 that goes uphill/downhill and doglegs left in the middle of the hole. The safe play is a 210 yard tee shot leaving a 200 yard approach to a shallow green with a massive false front and trouble long. Driver off the tee leaves you with a landing area about 15 yards wide protected by deep-lipped bunkers on the short and long side of the dogleg. Oh yeah, and there's white stakes about 10 yards off the fairway all the way up the left side of the hole. It's effing brutal.

I've birdied it ONCE in hundreds of rounds, and that was a holeout chip shot. I've parred it on occasion, usually with a one putt. I've made more ocho-stinkos here than I'd care to admit.

I have a couple at my old home course, Bayonet and Black Horse in Seaside, CA.

Black Horse #11 - 420ish downhill, dogleg right, then uphill par 4. Three tiered green guarded by a bunker, with the lowest portion of the green right next to the right edge of said bunker. If the pin was on the bottom and you ended up on top, a 3 putt was almost guaranteed. Off the tee, if you had the distance, you could try and carry the corner but that was a gamble not worth taking. It's a brilliantly designed hole, but good lord is it tough.

Bayonet #9 - 440ish uphill, dogleg right, and more uphill to the green par 4. This is arguably the hardest hole on both courses. Narrower landing area for your tee shot with a fairway bunker to keep you from getting too cute and the elevated green is guarded by a deep bunker and has another bunker on the back that you can't even see until you're on the green. having a 7i for your approach is considered a win. Another great hole design, that is super challenging.

A 562 par 5 from the whites at Moose Ridge in South Lyon, MI. My league is here and I swear in the 5 years I have played in the league I have par'ed the hole once. The drive isn't difficult, there is room left and if you go way right you can land on the hole over fairway. Hole gets progressively tighter as you get closer to the hole. Second shot is near a bunker left is wetlands, right is woods. Land it right and you are about 120 from the green. Green is surrounded by wetlands, if you miss short right is the place.

course_4_1_large.jpg

course_4_3_large.jpg

Oh yeah. There’s a long par 4 at a local course where you have to hit 200 over scrub brush that’s about 180 yds long itself. One mishit and you can’t find your ball. That mentally gets me each time. I clear it about 60 percent of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the courses I play most, it's #9 at Brown Deer in Coralville, IA.

PAR: 3
HCP: 1

Gold: 246
Blue: 217
White: 169
Red: 125

Document

Document

Document

It's usually playing 215-220 from the blues, but that is deceptive as it is slightly up hill. Marshland/no-mow short right leading all the way up to the green, OB woodland area a few yards off of the green, and long grass if you tug it to the left. There is also a well placed bunker guarding the back right of the green... and they almost always have the pin back there making it nearly impossible to get close. The rest of the course is very 'gettable' from the blues, but this hole alone makes me want to 'tee it forward'

#9 on the home course, 420y par 4 slightly uphill and predominantly played into a strong south wind. You have to be pretty straight off the tee. Go left you can go out OB in the trees, or get stuck behind the trees and have to punch out to the fairway. Go to far right and you find the tall grass and may not be able to find the ball.
Green is fairly big but guarded on front left by a big bunker, the right side slopes away and towards 2 Cedar trees.
I have to be playing pretty well to walk away with par.

Number 9 at Bridlewood. Never scored better than a bogie on that hole. It's worse when I'm shooting par through 8.

#7 at Canyon Springs Golf Club in San Antonio. It is my least favorite most hated hole in all of golf.

170+ yard par 3

Native area on the right. Native area on the left. Bunker to the left of the green. Massively undulating green with a false front that appears to play on an upslope, but in fact runs down hill and away. Safe area to the right of the green, but the green is so elevated from that side that anything other than a perfectly executed flop will just roll away. It's pure evil. I have made par on this hole twice - the only two times I have hit the green and convinced the ball to stay.

16 on my home course. Long par 4 with an elevated tee shot. Anything just right is OB. Anything left is on a hill with a shot into a narrow fairway and bunker guarded green. I fear it every time.

I can think of several. At my nearest "home" course; #8 fits the bill. It looks innocent enough...until you play it a few times. It's a 185 yard par 3 built on what I suspect was/is an ancient burial ground. The force is strong there. The spirits delight in causing havoc. I've tried appeasing them, on occasion, by chucking a few sacrificial golf balls into the woods prior to teeing off. That does not work. The woodland nymphs know a shag bag ball when they see one and are all the more vengeful when slighted. About all one can do is play a high cut, over the small pine tree on the left side, and hope for the best.

For me is hole #3 at my home course. We usually play it from 412 yards and I get bogey or worse this stupid hole way too often. The last few times I've ended up in the bunker in the middle of the fairway and then screw up that approach. No matter where I end up I find a way to screw up the approach. This hole has me beat mentally.
db058861db13addcf02f7db30996158d.jpg

Sleepy Hollow #3. It wasn't a long enough par 4 at 454 so they added a new box to make it 481 The perfect line is a baby cut started at the left side of the fairway, if it doesn't carry 270 then you just stick into the side of the hill. The fairway is crowned so if you don't land in about a 15 or 20 yard wide area it kicks the ball down and off down a hill over a cart path and into the trees. A perfect drive rewards you with a 200 yard shot slightly uphill to a green you really can't see all of and unless you are in about a 10 yard wide area it requires a fade or draw depending on the side to a funky green that short siding yourself gives you at best a 40 footer for par. You don't get a choice in the matter either, you can't stop the ball close short sided unless it goes in. Take your double and move on

The new back box is behind it the chute of trees
https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/sleepyhollowgc2/overview.htm#3

16 at my home course. It's a long par 3. 225 to the center of the green. Serious up and downhill with bunkers left and right. OB left short right is dead. Just a tough hole. Good tee shot helps big, but it's still hard

#15 at my home course. Short par-4 with a ton of water on the left and a creek about 220 yards out that stretches around to the right side of the green. Should be an easy 4i to the fairway followed by an 9i or less to an elevated green (bunkers protecting the front). For some reason I can't seem to get all of my clubs working on this hole. I'll either pull one into the drink or hit a great shot followed by a push into the water protecting the green.

#9 at Waverly Oaks in Plymouth,Ma. Only plays 300-350 depending on tee but it's just an awful hole. I've hit everything from 7i to 3w trying to figure out hole. 2nd shot is to an uphill green 30' above the fairway. 2nd shot is almost always a downhill/sidehill lie to a green you can only see top of flagstick. In reality water cuts into fairway a lot more. Further you hit up fairway the narrower it gets.

Attachments

• Hole9_1.jpg
    Hole9_1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
I do but I only play that course about once a year. It’s a 560 yard double dog leg par 5 that doesn’t allow me to hit anything longer than my 3 iron off the tee because it runs out of fairway at about 220 yards. The second shot is very tight as well and it’s a mountain course where the fairways and green are heavily sloped. I never seem to be on the correct tier of the green. Par is rarely the result.

Par 4, 400 yard 9th hole at my home course (Country Oaks - Thomasville, GA). The fairway is uphill from the end of the lake to the green. The carry over the lake is of no concern. Fairway is always a little soggy so no rollout can be counted on. My average 2nd shot is from about 175. The green is quite narrow from front ot back and there is a large bunker guarding the entire front of the green. It is probably more of a mental blaock than anything, but I very rarely hit the green in 2. Average score is probably around 4.8.

easiest hole on the course I play the most. 252 yard par 4. Straight. Houses left and right of a fairly wide fairway. sand behind. In other words...zero trouble. For reasons that elude me, no matter what club I grab I yank it left over the houses. 8 iron just to lay up to the 100? over the houses. Driver? over the houses (and once over the green, over the sand, over the shrubs, over the road, over the next tee box and a bit more). I once teed off with my sand wedge just to get into the fairway. And yep, bladed it right over the houses to the right. smurf that hole.

Only 16 or 17 holes on my home course.

I have many

Hidden Creek GC in Burleson, TX. Par 4 7th. It's the #1 Handicap. Long par 4 that turns to the left thick trees left and right. Green isn't bad, just a green side bunker on the right. If you hit a draw with your driver this is an easy hole. I have trouble turning it over, but it doesn't matter because no matter what club I swing I hit a shank on the tee box. It's all psychological because honestly it's not a crazy hard hole, def not easy but no reason to shank it every single time I play it.

We have a par 3 that is a peninsula, no bunkers or anything, but it ALWAYS plays into the wind, and from the back tees is plays 210, without the wind, so there are days I have to hit 3w or 5w.

Back