Transitioning from slow to fast swinger

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in my mid 30's, 5'10" and 160 pounds. Able bodied but not an olympic athlete. I have been playing golf for 5 years and have always been told to swing easy because it allows for more consistent results. As a result, I have always had a mid to high 90's driver swing speed and I very rarely spin a wedge.
Last weekend, I decided for no apparent reason to swing all my clubs as hard/fast as humanly possible and I was really impressed with the results.
I usually pull my shots due to an OTT swing, however, I noticed that when I swing as hard as possible, momentum prevents me from pulling everything left on the downswing (think of it as the left over resistance from taking everything backwards in a very heavy/fast manner).
Also, I noticed that my irons shots started spinning when hitting the green.
I liked what I saw and will continue transitioning to a much harder/faster swing.
Has anyone done this? What were your long term conclusions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the most part, "swinging" the club fast, is not always creating more speed at impact because lag is lost. It is all about making a turn and creating lag.

My best shots have always been swinging easy on the backswing and letting it rip on the downswing. However, that fast downswing should only be as fast as I can and still maintain good ball contact. No use swinging to snap my bra and not hitting it dead center.

I also recently discovered I have a longer but more crooked drive when I add a little more wrist lag before starting down.

Do what works for you, just be aware that *any* swing change has lots of other effects. You may find new swing faults showing up.

It's all about getting the club in the correct positions. That IMO is what creates speed in a swing. You don't have to be the strongest or most athletic to do it(though it definitely helps) I.E. Justin Thomas. Little dude pounds the ball.

I have recently found some success in transitioning from a full, slow swing to a 3/4 swing that is noticeably quicker. I'm not hitting the ball further, but straighter and more consistently.

Swinging in control at your ax effort will always yield good results. This is provided some basics are in place.

Fwiw, swinging hard seems to sync'd your upper and lower body so no hooks. As long as this keeps happening you'll be ok. But something tells me if things go wrong it will be tougher to fix.

Go with what works. I am completely the opposite, I swing far straighter and carry the ball further when I take a smooth controlled pass at the ball. But again, explore it and see if it keeps working for you.

It's all about getting the club in the correct positions. That IMO is what creates speed in a swing. You don't have to be the strongest or most athletic to do it(though it definitely helps) I.E. Justin Thomas. Little dude pounds the ball.

Yeah. That guy is my idol because I'm as tall as he is and weigh the same as he does. Minus 30 years.

Last edited:
Swinging in control at your max effort will always yield good results.
The trick is knowing when you're starting to lose control because of too much effort though, right?

The trick is knowing when you're starting to lose control because of too much effort though, right?

If you can't maintain your balance then you she swung too hard or are out of sync

If you can't maintain your balance then you she swung too hard or are out of sync

i like to think of it as controlled aggression. stay in sync, get the loudest "swoosh" possible, but still be able to hold the proper finish position with a good weight transfer. the tough thing for me is trusting the added speed after so many years of a lazy, casty swing that was straight but short.

Back