P790 - frustration

skywaterbanjo

Reaction score
Handicap
I have recently acquired a set of P790s wit the standard stiff graphite shafts. My previous irons were regular flex PSI.

Here's my problem: I was very consistent with the PSIs, hitting my 7 iron 175 and my 8 about 160-165. The 790 7i now goes about 185 carry, total distance of about 195-200. My 8i, however, has stayed in the 165-170 range. The 790s are definitely longer but now I have a huge gap at 180 yards.

I think my next step is to put the clubs on a loft/lie device to check that there is only a 4 degree difference in the clubs.

Anyone else see this?

That would be how I tackle it first. Make sure lie is correct and then perform a gap test.

When I had my P790s, I had to add +2* to the 4 thru 7 irons!! Just too long with large gaps.
The shorter irons were ok.

Have you had the lofts checked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

how does the rest of the set gap? does everything else gap properly instead of the 7i-to-8i transition?

When you have the lofts checked make sure you compare it to the factory specs, lofts are all over the place in sets and the old 4* gapping between clubs isn't really the rule in modern clubs with new technology.

I have been working on trying to make a set of P790s work for me since they first came out. I am now 57 years and I am fighting to maintain my distances. I generally strike the ball more consistently with players’ cavities, but the look of the P790s have me transfixed and I want them in my bag if possible.

Here is what I have learned. The shaft is crucial, because the irons simply want to launch and this element of supreme launch creates the problem of gapping at some point through the set. However, it is possible to fix it, I hope and believe. As others have said, check the lofts. However, my additional suggestion is not just to check the lofts of individual irons, but go through the set on a launch monitor and get a baseline for each individual iron. Once you have a baseline, you are going to need to adjust each iron that does not gap properly and the fix will be to adjust the loft of each iron that does not gap relative to the set. You ultimately will have a set of irons that likely will not have lofts through the set that match TaylorMade’s standard specs, but you will be able to get them to gap if you do this.

Go look at the post I made yesterday on the P730 and P790 thread. I was practicing yesterday and put together a set of four shots with a seven iron. It was not a sample that I cherry picked. It was random. If you look at the numbers I posted, you will see that the iron was EXTREMELY consistent in dispersion, both distance and side to side. I strongly disagree that these irons have hot spots. I think that they are very forgiving and consistent for their profile. At least they are for my swing. I think I am getting them dialed in but it has taken time and a couple shaft changes. I now have them shafted with Steelfiber i110 stiffs, which is a little stiff for my swing speed, but I cannot argue with the numbers. If it translates to the course, I will have the best set of irons I have ever gamed.

Hope that helps. It is a summary of my extensive look at these irons. They won’t be for everybody, but they have some very unique qualities, that, if harnessed, could make them formidable tools.

Thanks for the comments. I will get them checked out on a launch monitor.

I have been working on trying to make a set of P790s work for me since they first came out. I am now 57 years and I am fighting to maintain my distances. I generally strike the ball more consistently with players’ cavities, but the look of the P790s have me transfixed and I want them in my bag if possible.

Here is what I have learned. The shaft is crucial, because the irons simply want to launch and this element of supreme launch creates the problem of gapping at some point through the set. However, it is possible to fix it, I hope and believe. As others have said, check the lofts. However, my additional suggestion is not just to check the lofts of individual irons, but go through the set on a launch monitor and get a baseline for each individual iron. Once you have a baseline, you are going to need to adjust each iron that does not gap properly and the fix will be to adjust the loft of each iron that does not gap relative to the set. You ultimately will have a set of irons that likely will not have lofts through the set that match TaylorMade’s standard specs, but you will be able to get them to gap if you do this.

Go look at the post I made yesterday on the P730 and P790 thread. I was practicing yesterday and put together a set of four shots with a seven iron. It was not a sample that I cherry picked. It was random. If you look at the numbers I posted, you will see that the iron was EXTREMELY consistent in dispersion, both distance and side to side. I strongly disagree that these irons have hot spots. I think that they are very forgiving and consistent for their profile. At least they are for my swing. I think I am getting them dialed in but it has taken time and a couple shaft changes. I now have them shafted with Steelfiber i110 stiffs, which is a little stiff for my swing speed, but I cannot argue with the numbers. If it translates to the course, I will have the best set of irons I have ever gamed.

Hope that helps. It is a summary of my extensive look at these irons. They won’t be for everybody, but they have some very unique qualities, that, if harnessed, could make them formidable tools.

Agree. - check the lofts and specs out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back