Is it legal to use earphones while playing on tour?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm just curious. Players are now starting to lodge valid complaints with people who have bad timing and make noise in mid swing. It seems to be getting clear that tournaments may not have a strong enough policy to cut off people who drink too much. I personally can handle the BabaBooeys and such after a swing but people are starting to really push it when in mid stroke for players.

If a player wanted to play a round on tour listening to music with earbuds when he is hitting to control the sounds he hears and limit the possible distraction, would that be allowed?

No you can’t wear head phone m your while playing. You can’t even do it on mini tours

Interesting, is there a specific reason they can't or is it just something that has never been addressed in a rule?

What about earplugs to drown out noise?

Interesting, is there a specific reason they can't or is it just something that has never been addressed in a rule?

There is a rule covering this I believe it is 14-3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are not even supposed to use them if you are playing a round for HC purposes. The reason being it does block outside noise and if you are listening to music it can help you with tempo.

My guess is to level the playing field (some players might play better with music than others, so just outlaw it completely) and to also prevent players from using GPS devices/apps that playback into their headphones.

14-3 is the correct rule.

Rule 14-3

Wearing Headphones or Earplugs During Stipulated Round

Q. May I wear headphones or earplugs while playing in the state amateur?

A.
The use of headphones or earplugs to eliminate noise or other distractions is prohibited under Rule 14-3.

Decision 14-3/16 covers listening to music or some other broadcast during a round. Here is the text of that Decision:
Rule 14-3a states that a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that “might assist him making a stroke or in his play.” Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of another hole.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

Back