Do you track your stats?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
With a lot of good conversation about the Cobra Connect system it made me realize that I really don't track anything other than score and have no idea where I'm losing the most strokes. Do any of you track stats during your rounds?

Never have. I think I have a good idea of what I need to work on based on my play.

I’m starting to. I’ve used GolfLogix for my last two rounds it tracks some of the basic stuff, I’m not sure how effective what I’m tracking is though...

The Grint is pretty helpful. Free version allows you to check it out, and last time I checked, you could upgrade to the premium for a reasonable one-time fee pretty much of your choosing. It's a good way to see whether stat tracking is for you.

The Grint is pretty helpful. Free version allows you to check it out, and last time I checked, you could upgrade to the premium for a reasonable one-time fee pretty much of your choosing. It's a good way to see whether stat tracking is for you.

I had used that a couple of years ago and just got lazy I guess. It was pretty good but I'd like to get a little more in depth and see where my misses are.

I had used that a couple of years ago and just got lazy I guess. It was pretty good but I'd like to get a little more in depth and see where my misses are.

That something I’d like to see as well. I know I tend to slice the ball, but how much is that hurting me? Less/more than I think?

With a lot of good conversation about the Cobra Connect system it made me realize that I really don't track anything other than score and have no idea where I'm losing the most strokes. Do any of you track stats during your rounds?

I'm right there with you. I don't track anything but score.

I'vde been using Game Golf butI don't actively go back and check stats...but its nice to knowI can when I want to!

Not during a round. When I get home I crack a beer, get out my notebook, and replay the round shot by shot. I write down fairways, greens, near-greens, chips, and putts, as well as yardages and club selections. A round of golf remains clear until I play another one.

I started Using Game Golf last year but dont really have enough data yet. But after watching Mike Yagley's video on cobra connect I am going to make a effort to see what my true numbers are.

FIR, GIR and putts is the only stats I track. I use the Grint, makes it easy.

FIR, GIR, putts, and penalties.

When I have my Game Golf, it tracks all that for me. If I don't have it with me, I track my putts.

I use The Grint for FIR, GIR, putts, penalties, and sand saves.

Follow up question, what stats have you tracked that have made the most impact in improving your game?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I usually write on my scorecard, Fairways hit, GIR, what my misses were off the tee and on approach, any penalties and number of putts. I have a game golf but I struggle with getting the tagging into my shot routine, so I forget it sometimes.

I have tracked my stats for years. Before Arccos I used an app I found (after using a seperate scorecard) and included fairways hit, if not right or left, GIR, up/downs, how many putts and if/how many penalty strokes.

Now with Arccos I have it all there. All those stats were the impetus for me to get lessons and do fittings. Have seen 7 strokes drop off my handicap since I got arccos and about 5 in the last year. I feel like I am close to dropping more, but need to keep focusing on what I have learned in my lessons.

Follow up question, what stats have you tracked that have made the most impact in improving your game?

FIR, GIR, putts, and penalties. :D

There was a time I tracked more, but really these tell the story best. The only other one that helps some is if it takes you two (or more) chips/pitches to get on a green after a missed GIR. But I’ve got to the point that it rarely happens.

I have plenty of bad chips/pitches that end up on the green, but I treat them the same as a bad putt. I’m practicing both regardless of how my recent rounds went.

I use The Grint to keep track of my total round scores and putting. I like to keep it all in one app so that I can track my progress to see if I am improving or not

A few things. 1) Fairways are less important than the shot you've left yourself. It is better to have a good shot, from light rough, than a bad one from the short grass. 2) Greens are less important than where you are in relation to the hole. There is nearly always some place, on the green, that is worse than the best place to chip or putt from. 3) Counting putts is pointless. Counting chips+putts is not. You could miss every green and still get up and down; provided you miss in the right place. That would cut your putt count in half; but your chips and putts would total a minimum of 36...exactly what you get for hitting 18 of 18 greens and two-putting each.

Yes and no. Yes, I track my stats and have for years. No, I don't clutter my scorecard with lots of notes during the round. All I need is the score and number of putts for each hole. Then like 4Regal and others I pull together and record everything when I get home. I have found this extremely helpful. I know what part of my game is holding me back, when a part of my game has gone south, and when it has recovered.

I use the 18 birdies app (free version) for my score card and some stat tracking and game golf as my main data gathering I'm quite particular with keeping my game cataloged, the biggest difference for me is yardage, with game golf I know my average yardage with each club in real play that little bit of information is key to bringing my score down

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

For the fairways hit, GIR crowd, do you think it would be more helpful to have a system where you marked good tee shot verses bad tee shot? Example: Let's say you top a drive of the tee and it worm burns about 140 yards and rolls about 20-30 yards onto the fairway, but you're still 200+ out on a par 4. Conversely let's say you're aiming down the left side of the fairway on a very slight dogleg right and you hit a real nice 250 yard drive with a little draw on it and it rolls into the rough and you have a wide open look at the green from 120+ out. Some shots like these lead to misleading stats as I would say the first shot is a bad drive, and the 2nd one is a good drive.

Same with GIR, on a long 420 yard par 4, if I hit my average 230 yard drive and I have 190-200 to the green and I land one in the short rough 1 or 2 yards off the green and have a simple up and down to me that's a good shot. Conversely if I am playing a 320 yard par 4 and I am 90 out and hit one on the opposite side of the green and leave myself with a 50 foot putt, that's not a very good shot.

Or a 2 putt from 7 feet is not near as good as a 2 putt from 40 feet. All kinds of things that can be missed in the "standard" stats that kind of make them meaningless for helping someone get better which is why I think a lot of people don't bother with them. I am going to try journaling this year during rounds so I can note things like, pulling my putter, hit a lot of fat iron shots, flubbed a few chips today, stuff like that to make practice more meaningful.

Great stuff guys. I agree that some stats can be misleading and is a reason I want to get more detailed this season. I've had rounds with great putting stats but it's because I missed several greens and chipped it very close. That's great but it means I missed a bunch of greens and didn't give myself a chance at all for birdie. Those are the kind of things I need to be more aware of.

Just putts and length of putts made. For many years I tracked GIR and fairways hit as well but not in recent years.

Back