2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought. You've got two things going on.

1) you're breaking your hips first. Then your knees. Don't. Next time, think "knees first" that should take care of that. We may need to work on something next with your knees. But we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Haha yeah, my thoughts are break hips (sit back) then knees. I'll see about doing something different next time.

Regarding knees, I have my feet mostly parallel, toe out a little bit. I push out with my knees so they stay tracking slightly outside my toes during the squat.

2) don't look at your crotch in the mirror. See if you can put the bar on the otherside of the squat rack. Just to eliminate the urge. Pick a spot on the floor 5' in front of you and look at it the whole time.

Yeah, that was definitely tough. I'll see if I can move the brackets to the outside of the rack and/or pick up a set. The weight is too much to power clean into a front squat, so I'm restricted to using the brackets.

Both of these moves will force a slightly more horizontal back angle at the bottom. Which will engage your hips more.
Yeah, I'll definitely look at this as well. :)

Thanks for the thoughts!!! ?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Haha yeah, my thoughts are break hips (sit back) then knees. I'll see about doing something different next time.

Regarding knees, I have my feet mostly parallel, toe out a little bit. I push out with my knees so they stay tracking slightly outside my toes during the squat.

Yeah, that was definitely tough. I'll see if I can move the brackets to the outside of the rack and/or pick up a set. The weight is too much to power clean into a front squat, so I'm restricted to using the brackets.

Yeah, I'll definitely look at this as well. :)

Thanks for the thoughts!!! ?

Heels shoulder width, toes flared out. 30° as a starting point. Don't track outside of your toes. That's a lot of sheer force on your joints.

Don't sit back. Knees go forward in front of your toes, hips go back, torso flattens out. If you were an equiped power lifter trying to full engage a squat suit, then sit back. But you're not, so don't.

The supports that you rack the bar on. Move them to the inside of the of the upright directly behind you, so you're still in the rack, but looking out into the gym. I assume you can do that in that rig. Must power racks you can.

Heels shoulder width, toes flared out. 30° as a starting point. Don't track outside of your toes. That's a lot of sheer force on your joints.

Don't sit back. Knees go forward in front of your toes, hips go back, torso flattens out. If you were an equiped power lifter trying to full engage a squat suit, then sit back. But you're not, so don't.

The supports that you rack the bar on. Move them to the inside of the of the upright directly behind you, so you're still in the rack, but looking out into the gym. I assume you can do that in that rig. Must power racks you can.
Just tried this in the office (flaring toes) and it feels really weird and doesn't engage my hamstrings as much as I'm used to. I'll try it at the gym next time and let you know. :D

Regarding knees, they do go in front of my toes but not as much as say a front squat. I'm definitely not sitting back like a deadlift.

For the supports, it seemed like they were locked into that rear upright, only able to slide up and down.

Just tried this in the office (flaring toes) and it feels really weird and doesn't engage my hamstrings as much as I'm used to. I'll try it at the gym next time and let you know. :D

Regarding knees, they do go in front of my toes but not as much as say a front squat. I'm definitely not sitting back like a deadlift.

For the supports, it seemed like they were locked into that rear upright, only able to slide up and down.

I would have to see what your feet are doing. But you're hamstrings will get pulled into the lift as you fight to keep your lower back tight on the decent. I like to think heels are shoulder width, big toes outside of shoulders. Just as a starting place. I can't to a true 30° foot angle, but you need toe flare to help make room for your torso between your legs.

Knees don't go past the knees as much as a front squat, but don't worry about that yet. I didn't see that issue in your squats. I don't want you to focus on a problem that doesn't exist.

In regards to the rack, it is what is. But don't look in the mirror at all. Look at the floor 5' in front of you.

I would have to see what your feet are doing. But you're hamstrings will get pulled into the lift as you fight to keep your lower back tight on the decent. I like to think heels are shoulder width, big toes outside of shoulders. Just as a starting place. I can't to a true 30° foot angle, but you need toe flare to help make room for your torso between your legs.

Knees don't go past the knees as much as a front squat, but don't worry about that yet. I didn't see that issue in your squats. I don't want you to focus on a problem that doesn't exist.

In regards to the rack, it is what is. But don't look in the mirror at all. Look at the floor 5' in front of you.
You mentioned something interesting. I don't bother thinking about my lower back, I concentrate on my upper back tightness and wrists being flat. I'll get a different angle next time. :)

For torso room, I have enough. :)

You mentioned something interesting. I don't bother thinking about my lower back, I concentrate on my upper back tightness and wrists being flat. I'll get a different angle next time. :)

Rear oblique 45° so I can see your feet and head at the top. :D

Did this machine have a first name of Smith?

Nah, this was one of those machines with the selectable weights, where you can do pull downs, rows, etc. They have one with a benchpress section. I'll snap a pic next time I'm there if I can remember.

All the squats talk has my knees screaming. I hate them. Even a little tough on my rotators too trying to hold the bar back on my shoulders.

Nah, this was one of those machines with the selectable weights, where you can do pull downs, rows, etc. They have one with a benchpress section. I'll snap a pic next time I'm there if I can remember.

All the squats talk has my knees screaming. I hate them. Even a little tough on my rotators too trying to hold the bar back on my shoulders.
Hammer Strength or Cybex, probably. I haven't seen Universal machines in ages.

I'm about 6 weeks intro training crossfit and I can saw I feel/great. I've even added about 10 lbs of mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about 6 weeks intro training crossfit and I can saw I feel/great. I've even added about 10 lbs of mass.

Hopefully your coaches have been stressing the importance of form over speed. If they haven't, please definitely talk to them about it. :D My CrossFit thought for the day.

Week 1, Day 1 of the new program in the books. It's amazing what actually having a program does - I was starting to get a bit down about the gym.

Deadlifts, pullups, and heavy kettlebell swings will wear you down.

I'm looking to start some weight training and haven't really done too much before. I was doing some searching and came across the 5x5 stronglifts program which seems like it could work for someone just starting out like me. Starts real light on the weight and moves up from there. Squats, bench, overhead press, dumbell rows and deadlifts. Anyone had experience with that program?

Week 1, Day 1 of the new program in the books. It's amazing what actually having a program does - I was starting to get a bit down about the gym.

Deadlifts, pullups, and heavy kettlebell swings will wear you down.

Matt, what'd you find or where are you getting info for a new program? I started back at the gym this week, 4 days in a row, looking to get it to be my new "normal" but I found in the past I get bored. I did some looking into programs etc on line, but it's so friggin overwhelming

I'm looking to start some weight training and haven't really done too much before. I was doing some searching and came across the 5x5 stronglifts program which seems like it could work for someone just starting out like me. Starts real light on the weight and moves up from there. Squats, bench, overhead press, dumbell rows and deadlifts. Anyone had experience with that program?
A few of us have. It's pretty good/fun, be mindful of form and the program. :)

Matt, what'd you find or where are you getting info for a new program? I started back at the gym this week, 4 days in a row, looking to get it to be my new "normal" but I found in the past I get bored. I did some looking into programs etc on line, but it's so friggin overwhelming
Not sure where Matt gets his info, but I look around Bodybuilding.com forums and T-nation for my workouts.

A few of us have. It's pretty good/fun, be mindful of form and the program. :)

Nice. Seemed like a good starting point since I haven't really lifted since high school. Nice to start with light weight to ease into it.

We've been doing group training at a gym for a while, but with change to my wife's schedule we couldn't really get to classes as consistently as we wanted, so we had our trainer write us a custom program. Depending on what you're looking for, there are a lot of folks in here that can point you in the right direction.

Are you looking for mostly strength training?

We've been doing group training at a gym for a while, but with change to my wife's schedule we couldn't really get to classes as consistently as we wanted, so we had our trainer write us a custom program. Depending on what you're looking for, there are a lot of folks in here that can point you in the right direction.

Are you looking for mostly strength training?

You've seen my pythons, why would I need strength training? :bulgy-eyes:

More weight loss and flexibility. My gym does have trainiers, I'll start there. Good luck on your journey!

Hopefully your coaches have been stressing the importance of form over speed. If they haven't, please definitely talk to them about it. :D My CrossFit thought for the day.

He is definitely a form first then weight and speed after that.

You've seen my pythons, why would I need strength training? :bulgy-eyes:

More weight loss and flexibility. My gym does have trainiers, I'll start there. Good luck on your journey!

Generally, I'd build a program around the whole body lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press), with some high intensity interval training mixed in for conditioning. Stronglifts or Starting Strength might be a good place to start on a weight program (if you're familiar with form), and then add in some intervals on the bike, rower, or something like that.

I like Starting Strength better. Better at developing strength faster with more emphasis on form and recovery.
Programming is tough. It is rarely exciting.

I was doing stronglifts and have switched to Jim wendler 5/3/1. 1/2 way through week 3.

Programming is tough. It is rarely exciting.

And it turns out the programs that work the best aren't all that exciting either. But I'm someone who enjoys workouts that are kind of a grind.

Wow 10lbs in 6 weeks or less is crazy awesome. Nice job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back