theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
On Monday is the Architects Golf Classic, an annual tournament that is a sort of a Major Event for me. My plan is to just hit the range on Saturday and just get the groove of the swing.

Any suggestions on how to further prepare for it? I'm starting on the 18th hole in shotgun format. I've played the course about 5 times, while I'm not very familiar with the greens, I know the course enough to find my way around.

The format is solo stroke play with handicaps, probably with blind callaway or system 36 thrown in.

Your ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
On Monday is the Architects Golf Classic, an annual tournament that is a sort of a Major Event for me. My plan is to just hit the range on Saturday and just get the groove of the swing.

Any suggestions on how to further prepare for it? I'm starting on the 18th hole in shotgun format. I've played the course about 5 times, while I'm not very familiar with the greens, I know the course enough to find my way around.

Your ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spend at least 30 minutes putting while there on Saturday, the practice greens are almost always similar to the actual greens in slope and speed. Strokes are mostly gained with "bomb" type putts in a scramble. You need several to actually compete.

Loads of people will chime in I guess. For me it's not about the score, it's about fun. If I'm comfortable, chances are I'll score pretty well.

For bigger tournaments I focus on chipping and putting while preparing. My long game won't change much in a day of practice anyway, but getting a feel of the greens can make a serious difference. :)

What's the format for the event?

I don't see fitness training making a huge difference in the next 3 days.

To the OP, I second the putting recommendation. Other than that, just relax and have fun, and get warmed up however you can that morning.

Thanks for the advice. It isn't a scramble. It's solo stroke play with handicaps, maybe with blind callaway or system 36 thrown in.

I don't see fitness training making a huge difference in the next 3 days.

To the OP, I second the putting recommendation. Other than that, just relax and have fun, and get warmed up however you can that morning.

You don't think stretching before the round could help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting did you read the interview? He certainly speaks about stretching in it

Yeah, there's stretching before the game. It's about 30 minutes. I do mine for only 3 minutes. :)

Interesting did you read the interview? He certainly speaks about stretching in it

Thanks TH. Of course that is the part I was linking to, but some people clearly skimmed over it. Hahahahahah.

Don't go into it working on anything. Warm up just to get looses. Putt to get the speed down. Chip to see how the ball will react.

Well Monday came and went, and I played the worst game in my past 5 games in what was supposed to be my major. Granted, there was no lack of preparation, it was one of those days where too many bad things happened. My 3W bailed out on me several times, I had too many bad reads on the green, I lost as many balls as I had in my last 5 games, I never felt like I was in the zone for more than a couple of holes. This is a course where I played around 6 times total in the past 3 years. I had to shoot like 11 less my score to make it to the top 3 in my class level.

But there were some positives. I brought my experimental driver, a Titleist 910d2 with a matrix speed rulz aero Burner shaft (long story) and it is definitely longer than my current driver. My regular partner who was used to seeing his ball longer by 20 yards was surprised to discover that in around 4 holes I was longer than he was.

The old driver is staying, it's still a good driver against the wind, and great for long par 3's over 200 yards.

My wedge and sand play is getting tighter, these parts of my game were okay.

I wouldn't call it over preparation, but I did all kinds of stuff like balancing balls, getting the course layouts, for this game and it didn't pay off.

There's a monthly tournament coming next week, I might as well do the reverse and not prepare at all. Let's see how that turns out.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Back