What's good in Tampa area these days?

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
I live in Tampa and am a member at a nice little club over in Clearwater.

My employer has seen it fit to grant employees a day off each for your birthday and also for Veterans's day if you're a veteran, so I got to pick two days in the month to take off. My wife is pretty much locked in to school and studying, so I thought I might take a couple of days and treat myself to some good golf.

I've not lived in the area for too long so I don't have an idea of what is really good around here. I've played both the World Woods courses a few times in the past, so I'm not terribly interested in going back. I hear they've declined a little bit over the years anyhow, which is too bad.

I would spend a decent amount (sorry Streamsong, not THAT much) and drive up to an hour or so. Anyone in the area got any suggestions? From what I gather, the list is going to include places like TPC, Innisbrook, Lake Jovita, Saddlebrook, Waterlefe maybe???. Trouble is, I don't know what's what and if maybe some of those places aren't really up to their typical standards right now; I know a lot of places have had trouble recovering from the heavy rains we had this season, that's a big part of it.

All those you listed are good options. I have played tpc and lake jovita in the past 2 weeks and both are very solid. Not tour quality at the moment but worth the money, good greens. World Woods both courses are worth the drive up north. Me and another thp'er are playing Fox Hollow friday at 12:51 if you want to drive up, we're only 2.

Lake Jovita is worth the drive, and my favorite off of that list, although I haven't played any of the Innisbrook courses. If headed down to Bradenton I prefer River Strand over Waterlefe but that is just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Hills, they usually have afternoon tee times available. It is a Pete dye track and a ton of fun.

Good call on the Southern Hills, I had forgot about that as one that I would like to play. I really dig courses that have elevation. I should have clarified, the dates that I'm taking off are the 19th and 20th. I figured it would be nice to have back-to-back 4 day weekends. I think I'll look into Southern Hills to start, and Lake Jovita as a second option.

Good call on the Southern Hills, I had forgot about that as one that I would like to play. I really dig courses that have elevation. I should have clarified, the dates that I'm taking off are the 19th and 20th. I figured it would be nice to have back-to-back 4 day weekends. I think I'll look into Southern Hills to start, and Lake Jovita as a second option.

If I wasn't heading out of town the 19th, I would enjoy meeting up for a round. The guys gave you a lot of great options to play in the area and the only I will add is Brooksville CC. The front 9 is ok but the whole back 9 is solid and 4 holes in particular are very memorable.

I lived north of Tampa Bay (Citrus County) many years ago and saw Southern Hills when it was just dirt. Was supposed to be private but that didn't happen, eh? Good for us.

I lived north of Tampa Bay (Citrus County) many years ago and saw Southern Hills when it was just dirt. Was supposed to be private but that didn't happen, eh? Good for us.

Since Hampton golf took over the operation it's been semi-private allowing public play. Defidently a course I want to play before it goes back private again.

Back