TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

How's that? Just the way it sets up for you? What made the difference between 430 and 460 for you?
I honestly do not know why the 430 was better. I am sure part of it is my eye does like the look of the smaller head but I was just very surprised I got more lateral foregivness from a smaller head.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

yeah, maybe... But we're talking fractions. Like I said, I would love to see some actual tech talk to draw comparisons.
With any adjustable weighting system aren't we really talking fractions though? I remeber reading several months ago in which JMan entusiastically stating something about moving COG a few millimeters or even fractions of a millimeter translating to tangible performance gains. It was a driver tech article, I don't believe he authored it just weighed in enthusiastically. FWIW I doubt TM will explain the tech well anyway. To me they lack bigtime in that regard. I remeber there own group spouting off that COG of R15 was even more low/fwd than SLDR when it wasn't. SLDR was way further forward and it's forgiveness suffered greatly because of that. MIO on R15 was much higher, right there with the STANDARD 815 Alpha, (not the DBD either - that was much more similar to SLDR). I mean the real tech advantage to R15 wasn't really discussed by TM marketers at all?? The almost infinite ability to move significant weight laterally directly behind where you typically impact the ball.

I am not a tech guy when it comes to golf but I can say on course and range the m1 and sldr are light years apart on foregivness.

I am having the exact same experience as you.

With any adjustable weighting system aren't we really talking fractions though? I remeber reading several months ago in which JMan entusiastically stating something about moving COG a few millimeters or even fractions of a millimeter translating to tangible performance gains. It was a driver tech article, I don't believe he authored it just weighed in enthusiastically. FWIW I doubt TM will explain the tech well anyway. To me they lack bigtime in that regard. I remeber there own group spouting off that COG of R15 was even more low/fwd than SLDR when it wasn't. SLDR was way further forward and it's forgiveness suffered greatly because of that. MIO on R15 was much higher, right there with the STANDARD 815 Alpha, (not the DBD either - that was much more similar to SLDR). I mean the real tech advantage to R15 wasn't really discussed by TM marketers at all?? The almost infinite ability to move significant weight laterally directly behind where you typically impact the ball.
This reminds me of something. You may be on to something here.

It is milimeters, when discussing center of gravity, but I would disagree about this being further back than their previous models. Lower, due to the lighter crown, but definitely up front.

It is milimeters, when discussing center of gravity, but I would disagree about this being further back than their previous models. Lower, due to the lighter crown, but definitely up front.
Again I am not up to par on all the tech stuff, but doesn't sliding the weight back change the cg position? I think I remember TO saying that in a video?
So if you slide the weight back that make the m1 Cg lower and farther back than sldr and r15?

Again I am not up to par on all the tech stuff, but doesn't sliding the weight back change the cg position? I think I remember TO saying that in a video?
So if you slide the weight back that make the m1 Cg lower and farther back than sldr and r15?

Yes. Farther back = lower CG, more spin. Farther forward = higher CG, less spin.

While the M1 has been great for me so far I will say one thing that hasn't changed from the sldr for me is how sensitive it is to what shaft /weight combo the club has.

I have hit a few configurations (shafts,loft, head size) and there is far more range between a good and bad combo for me with the M1 compared to most drivers something that has been the case the last few TM releases. For me I need to make sure the weights and loft are set a certain way or I get very very bad results. Driver is super touchy to that. That said I think once it is dialed in it is one of the beat out there

Agree 100000% on shafts and this head - was getting very different results when just switching the shafts around.

After trying 5 different shafts it came down to the Matrix Red Tie for me - perfect combo for my SS

With how light the weight is, not very much at all. In fact when mounting the driver, it did not change balance point. That does not mean it does not work mind you, just that the CG was not necessarily changing.

I have several rounds and range sessions in with my mine now and no issues of bulging or cracking.

High and low misses are going straight, a little distance loss on high and low straight bullets if missed low. Out on the toe I find it more forgiving than the 915 D2, heel misses I've yet to encounter, which is odd as that was my miss with the D2. I've found teeing the ball up a little higher works best for me. The local range is just a smidge over 200yards, I am hitting the back fence higher and straighter than any other driver I have used before.

This isn't a miracle cure all driver but I am finding it easier and more forgiving than previous one's I've owned. I bit the bullet on a 3 wood that hopefully will arrive Monday, if it ends up being anywhere near as good as the results I am seeing with the driver I'll be very happy.

With how light the weight is, not very much at all. In fact when mounting the driver, it did not change balance point. That does not mean it does not work mind you, just that the CG was not necessarily changing.
I'm so beyond confused now JB? IIRC, a few months ago the flipzone on Fly Z+ was heralded for moving COG enough to impact launch characteristics AND forgiveness. I get that the weight there is 15g versus 10g in M1, but that 10g appears to be able to move a further distance than Cobra's 15g flips? The amount of weight moved and how far it moves both contribute to changing the COG. I've read that M1 is a higher MOI head than was R15 which itself was significantly higher MOI than was SLDR. With that 10g weight all the way back on M1, it's gotta to be at it's highest possible forgiveness, right?

I'm so beyond confused now JB? IIRC, a few months ago the flipzone on Fly Z+ was heralded for moving COG enough to impact launch characteristics AND forgiveness. I get that the weight there is 15g versus 10g in M1, but that 10g appears to be able to move a further distance than Cobra's 15g flips? The amount of weight moved and how far it moves both contribute to changing the COG. I've read that M1 is a higher MOI head than was R15 which itself was significantly higher MOI than was SLDR. With that 10g weight all the way back on M1, it's gotta to be at it's highest possible forgiveness, right?

You have to remember it also has to do with where the CG is in the physical head itself, the amount that the weight can alter the overall effect also depends on where that is. The Fly-Z and M1 are different there.

The weight will definitely play a role though, no one is disputing that at all.

I know I love seeing so many find something they enjoy, even then it'd still fun to talk about the why's and how's of a design. Makes this THP community great.

How's the seam on the crown? I've seen a couple of ugly photos that show some fractures along that line. Hopefully no issues for you guys?

Wow, the heads are coming apart? This is the first I've heard of it. That will slow down the sales of these. Can you post the pictures?

I have several rounds and range sessions in with my mine now and no issues of bulging or cracking.

High and low misses are going straight, a little distance loss on high and low straight bullets if missed low. Out on the toe I find it more forgiving than the 915 D2, heel misses I've yet to encounter, which is odd as that was my miss with the D2. I've found teeing the ball up a little higher works best for me. The local range is just a smidge over 200yards, I am hitting the back fence higher and straighter than any other driver I have used before.

This isn't a miracle cure all driver but I am finding it easier and more forgiving than previous one's I've owned. I bit the bullet on a 3 wood that hopefully will arrive Monday, if it ends up being anywhere near as good as the results I am seeing with the driver I'll be very happy.

The 3wd might be even BETTER than the driver! Our speeds are similar and just a solid club both off tee and deck....

The 3wd might be even BETTER than the driver! Our speeds are similar and just a solid club both off tee and deck....

Don't say that. I don't need a reason to explore replacing my BB alpha fairway woods which I'm hitting extremely well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Picked up the 3hl and loving it so far. Very easy to dial in off the tee and extremely forgiving and reliable from the turf. Fun club to hit because you can trust it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going on already...

I'm not sure I'd stick both weights back there myself but if they are easy to remove I'd for sure try flip/flopping them so the 15g weight could slide front/back and the 10g toe/heel. Allow you to bump that COG back some more and make it even more forgiving and higher launching than the standard setup permits. But not too drastically. TM designed a benevolent forgiving bomber off the rack. One that seems to fit us mere mortals and the low cap bombers exceptionally well. Very much unlike their recent heads. I'd be afraid to change it too drastically. hahaha

After playing again today, and rescind my previous statement. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I don't think I would either, it's just the first time I had seen the weight being tinkered with like that. No telling what kind of split weight setups and changes we'll see people making with these. Maybe R15 setups with a heavier weight in the back, who knows??? Could be endless possibilities, too much for me to dive into.

After playing again today, and rescind my previous statement. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I've thought about how I could tinker with it too, but really don't think it needs any changes.

I played golf today with a guy that had just done a fitting at a local Southern California Club fitter that was offering free fittings on the M1. This is a high end fitter and I won't name names right now but he was telling me they fit him into the M1 with a Fujikura Pro 53 shaft and quoted him $499 for the Club and another $275 for the shaft for a whopping $800 price tag. I pulled out the iPhone and showed the guy that he can order the M1 with the Fuji Pro 53 with no up charge for the shaft so basically $499 plus tax for the exact club this fitter wanted to sell him for $800. I can tell you this guy was a little upset over that...

Now i I am assuming the Fuji Pro shaft they are selling him for $275 is the same one being offered by TM at no upcharge. Does anyone know this for sure? I also showed him where he could by the shaft for $175 brand new online...

I was amazed that the guy was looking at the M1 and had not done any research online. My guess is these guys are getting away with this, he told me the guy said they had sold 300 of the M1 drivers since they came out.

Buyer be ware!!!!!

Back