Why no sight line on a putter?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
Simple enough question. I am sure there are many reasons. I never have remotely considered this until recently. I haven’t made a putt outside 5 feet in weeks. Thinking no sight line will take some thought out of it. Why does everyone else do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people (and I count myself among them) get stuck between paying attention to the putter and paying attention to the line. A couple years ago; I spray-painted my putter head green to help prevent it from being a distraction. I spun the grip 90 degrees so that the flat side corresponds to the putter face; allowing me to feel where the putter is pointing. I did those things to shift my focus away from the putter and back to the line. Not for everybody, I'm sure, but it helps to explain why some prefer distinct alignment markings and others are ambivalent.

Eye dominance matters as well.

I'm cross eye dominant, so I putt best with no site line at all. But, those are hard to find so I typically go flange line and focus instead on the topline.

Eye dominance matters as well.

I'm cross eye dominant, so I putt best with no site line at all. But, those are hard to find so I typically go flange line and focus instead on the topline.
To add to this point at my last lesson my instructor tested me to see which eye is dominant then informed me that right eye dominant is bad for trying to use alignment line on ball and putter. He says right eye dominant players are better off using an intermediate target.

To add to this point at my last lesson my instructor tested me to see which eye is dominant then informed me that right eye dominant is bad for trying to use alignment line on ball and putter. He says right eye dominant players are better off using an intermediate target.

This is interesting to me as I’m right eye dominant. Did he say why this is? Can you elaborate at all? Thanks!

I’m right handed and right eye dominant, and I definitely putt best when I square my club face to a spot on the green a foot or so in front of my ball.

As for no alignment lines — when I had the red spider, my speed control on lag putts was great. The lack of distraction led to a natural, free flowing stroke. But I struggled to make short putts.

Clean top is nice to look at. I use intermediate target back to a spot in front of the ball and line my face to that.

Clean topline suits my eye. When i struggle i think i need one though

This is interesting to me as I’m right eye dominant. Did he say why this is? Can you elaborate at all? Thanks!
It's the way we right eye dominant people see the lines. We think we are seeing the putter and ball lines online to the hole but we actually aren't. Something like that. I am not sure I remember the explanation fully, I mostly remembered to quite using lines on both the putter and ball.

It's the way we right eye dominant people see the lines. We think we are seeing the putter and ball lines online to the hole but we actually aren't. Something like that. I am not sure I remember the explanation fully, I mostly remembered to quite using lines on both the putter and ball.

This is really interesting. I'm right eye dominant and have wondered how it impacts my putting.

I would love to try a putter without a sightline someday. I wish my Spider came with a no sightline option.

I use a putter with no alignment aid. With my ball position and eye dominance it helps me to truly align properly. I use the perpendicular top line and an intermediate target to line up.

Thanks for sharing this Frank. I'm right eye dominant too, but I've never considered how it impacted my putting. But I've drastically improved since getting a putter with no sightline. I might have to try not lining up the ball to see if that helps even more.

The Lines distracts me in my feeble mind I don’t need any more distractions

Back