Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons

I think the Fly irons coloring should have been for this iron set. Going to the black finish was a touch too much.

I'm a big Nike guy for my other activities and I won't even think of purchasing these (well, maybe the Fly Pro Driver)

I liked them a lot when I hit them. Nobody's really talking about them though so I can see why it would be DOA. But if more people got out there and tried them they'd probably be more surprised than not. I think these need to get in some THP hands for review

Have a set here. Two actually.
It is headed to the Nike fan TheDeanofTHP as we speak.

More in the woods side than irons for me(minus VRS Forged).
I thought they initially made good strides with the Vapor line introduction. Pro Combo's were talked about, but the Speed was just a miss(for me). I guess I was kind of foolish for expecting them to go a little further than they have, which means you know put in some kind of effort.

Its hard for me on this side and the below is my take and my take only.
They jumped in (think post yellow years) and did everything right. They used the highest quality materials, went classic and modern at the same time throughout a line. Then...It all changed. They switched metals, went away from any technology talk that was prolonged, and instead went after early marketing of color as a means to grab a small segment and match the higher margined soft goods side.

They released what could be argued was a remake of the Cleveland MT, TT and CB line with a swoosh on it 2 years ago. Same designer, same metals, same theory. Now thats not to say it was a bad idea, those were very well designed clubs that did not move the needle for a marketing reason, and the Nike design elements got a few excited.

But they are stuck in a rock and a hard place right now. The older golfer that has some money, isnt buying Nike. They are buying Ping or Titleist based solely on heritage or TaylorMade or Callaway based on products/marketing.

The younger generation that would be Nike, is broke (look around the country) and is not going to shell out for a product they are not 100% sold on, when the other companies have a heritage and reviews down that show how good the stuff can be.

Nike right now has a very good R&D team and Nate knows his stuff. People know my thoughts on him see quite a bit of the Cleveland stuff from the last 7 years up until 2 years ago. He is talented, articulate and knows how to make a golf club.

I think they can spend the money to get it right, if the want to, but at the same time, have to want to, on lower margin goods when their spend on soft goods (minus balls) is making a mint.

Have a set here. Two actually.
It is headed to the Nike fan TheDeanofTHP as we speak.

If you need someone to review the second set, I'd be available. :alien:

If you need someone to review the second set, I'd be available. :alien:

They are out in stores now. I say demo and review.
THPers like to read reviews (unless they are on our home page...I kid I kid).

your thoughts are pretty much spot on with what I think as well. Materials changed, I know the set I game for a while was Carp Steel, but they have gone away from that. The MT stuff is funny because I'm pretty sure I mentioned that to you the day after sitting through a power point on them. And yes, it was noticed by many others in the room. I'm hoping Nate and the crew can create something and push the tech aspects out there. I think they believed the talk of the MM(Modern Muscle) design in irons was going to attract some, but really it's a glossed over bullet point IMO.

your thoughts are pretty much spot on with what I think as well. Materials changed, I know the set I game for a while was Carp Steel, but they have gone away from that. The MT stuff is funny because I'm pretty sure I mentioned that to you the day after sitting through a power point on them. And yes, it was noticed by many others in the room. I'm hoping Nate and the crew can create something and push the tech aspects out there. I think they believed the talk of the MM(Modern Muscle) design in irons was going to attract some, but really it's a glossed over bullet point IMO.

Agreed. And I know they can with what is available to them.
They still need to market it better, but that is neither here nor there.

can we all agree that nike puts NOTHING into iron marketing? or wedge marketing? or putter marketing? their focus seems to be somewhat on drivers, somewhat on balls, and substantially more on apparel.

if that's the case, why not change their endorsement model to be like adidas or ua for just clothing, then like tm for just drivers (obviously tm has different deals, but i think i've read that they have sponsorships for just bagging woods)? they seem to pay some really high profile golfers HUGE money, which makes sense if you want to move product. but then they don't seem to want to move product?

they handle golf marketing the same way they do in other sports, they market the athlete.

they handle golf marketing the same way they do in other sports, they market the athlete.

I'll agree with that. It kind of reminds me of when Nike started into the lacrosse market. I don't really remember a single ad for it. It seemed like they basically just decided the Nike name was enough and put the product out.

Should have these in hand for the weekend to start the review process. Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer as they are without a doubt an iron release that has created absolutely zero buzz. Courses are opening this week which means these will immediately get some course time.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Dean it will be interesting to read your thoughts as I honestly forgot all about these existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a few weeks since the last update in here. Just wondering how the finish is holding up? I just got these irons custom from Nike after switching from the Pro Combos - was hoping for a touch more forgiveness with these. Any updates are appreciated.

Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons

I demo'ed these this weekend and just love the look and feel. Great high soft fades were easy to produce (my stock iron flight), as were controlled draws and knockdowns. I gotta figure out a way get my hands on a set this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got these in the other day and took them out this afternoon for the first time. Played 9 holes but didn't get any time with them on the range. Swing was a bit off today for me but the irons felt great at impact. When the sweet spot is hit the ball sails off the club face. Mishits were also pretty forgiving. Got some nice ball flight too and was able to work in a couple of fades and draws. The finish held up fine after shots out of the fairways and rough...but it was only 9 holes. So far so good. Looking to get some range time in this weekend with the weather warming up in Michigan.

Has anyone with these clubs had luck getting them fitted? I have contacted Nike to see where the closest authorized fitter in my area is, but I have not received a response.

I am currently gaming the Covert 2.0 irons and I am very interested in gaming the Vapor Fly Pro irons after hitting a 6i at GG last week.

Thanks,

Back