No More 18 Hole Playoff at US Open

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
2 hole aggregate playoff coming instead.

I hate this.

Thats awesome, except for the record books. I would have to look back but I wonder how many results would have changed in the past

I wish they would have done a 4 hole aggregate at least.

I'm not in favor of this. The economics of it, sure it makes sense. But for the history and for being unique, I really liked the 18 hole playoff.

Really? This completely sucks.....why change something that's been a part of this event for hundreds of years? BOOOOOOO!

Really? This completely sucks.....why change something that's been a part of this event for hundreds of years? BOOOOOOO!

and doing it as a 2 hole aggregate score? That's lame.

This is stupid.

I dont like it at all. Part of the US Open and winning that championship was the possibility of 18 holes the next day to settle the winner.

Nooooooo! I absolutely hate this. I loved the 18 hole playoff. At least make 6 or something.

Not a fan of this at all.

Not a fan of this change. Tradition needs to prevail in a lot of cases and this is one of them.

This is stupid.

they went from the best playoff format IMO to argueably the worst.

Masters: Sudden Death - ok not the best, but has certainly yielded some fantastic moments.
PGA: 3 holes
British: 4 holes

2 holes? You cut 18 down to 2.

The USGA is on fire.

The 2-hole aggregate score part is lame. I get the fact things had to chance for commercial reasons, but this is just weak. They're ditching something that made this tournament unique.

Is this the influence of TV?

Don't like this at all. Is there a reason why this even had to change?

Agree with Ddec and others, I hate this change. 18 holes sucked, I get it. British Open is 4 hole aggregate, that would have been just fine. 2 hole just such a dumb number on top of it.

While I dont like the fact that its only 2 holes, I appreciate that at least I'll get to watch it on a Sunday still and not have it happen while Im working on monday

Agree with Ddec and others, I hate this change. 18 holes sucked, I get it. British Open is 4 hole aggregate, that would have been just fine. 2 hole just such a dumb number on top of it.

They are hitting for the cycle.
Sudden Death
2 Hole
3 Hole
4 Hole

With the upcoming US Open courses, what hole would you pair with 18 (which I assume would be the closing hole) for the 2 hole playoff?

They are hitting for the cycle.
Sudden Death
2 Hole
3 Hole
4 Hole

That makes it even worse, cause it took them HOW long to come up with that? Hey guys! Hardest test of golf, let’s make a tiebreaker take TWO holes to decide a winner!

Might as well make it a par 3, and a 520 hard par 4 just to really make it exciting.

Seems more and more like the one thing the USGA is really good at is making dumb decisions.

Once again, the USGA making bone-headed moves. This all boils down to money. TV time is valuable, and viewership on a Monday for 18 hole playoffs are low.

With the upcoming US Open courses, what hole would you pair with 18 (which I assume would be the closing hole) for the 2 hole playoff?

Mickelson is praying it's not 17 at Shinnecock

Back