WGC Bridgestone Invitational leaving Firestone

PhillyV

Original Ass-Cap : G15' & G18'
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
Terrible, but the truth is I am not sold on Bridgestone keeping the event after next year.

Terrible, but the truth is I am not sold on Bridgestone keeping the event after next year.

Bridgestone is on a roll with messing up what they do right in golf. And it’s annoying

Wow that sucks

Not a big surprise given their corporate outlook on the golf brand the past year. Too bad though, was a good event.

Damn this sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow this is very sad. looks like the memorial is it for me after this year

More tradition in golf being tossed aside...

Hate that Firestone is losing a tour stop and wonder if this is Bridgestone cutting costs

I’d love to know what the top brass is thinking these days. Are they getting out of the US golf industry?

I’d love to know what the top brass is thinking these days. Are they getting out of the US golf industry?

No, that is not the plan.
It is important to note that this tournament is sponsored by Brigestone, not Bridgestone Golf. Yes they are the same, but also different.
I could see them wanting this event in their home town or elsewhere, if they were to keep it. Although as the article points out, having Firestone in the name, makes a lot of sense.

The un-marketing of TW seems like it is just the tip of the iceberg for Bridgestone. Hope they at least keep the tournament. Wow, this is tough for that local community as lots of dollars pour in there for that tournament.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doesn't make much sense unless their commitment to professional golf is up in the air.

My opinion on this completely depends on where they move it to. I don't think Firestone is the most inspired course but it gave the Pros a solid challenge every year.

No, that is not the plan.
It is important to note that this tournament is sponsored by Brigestone, not Bridgestone Golf. Yes they are the same, but also different.
I could see them wanting this event in their home town or elsewhere, if they were to keep it. Although as the article points out, having Firestone in the name, makes a lot of sense.

Why does Firestone matter now? I mean, 60+ years at the course and now it’s an issue?

Why does Firestone matter now? I mean, 60+ years at the course and now it’s an issue?

Because of the name and being part of the brand marketing im guessing

Because Bridgestone purchased Firestone, which was HQ in Akron, OH.

WGC Bridgestone Invitational leaving Firestone

Because Bridgestone purchased Firestone, which was HQ in Akron, OH.

Was the CC part of the sale or that a separate piece?

Just saw the tweet from John Feinstein that after this year, Bridgestone is pulling out of Firestone after 65 years there and will be replaced by the PGA Senior Players. If true, this sucks for Akron and sucks for their economy.

https://articles.cleveland.com/golf..._invitational_according_to_john_feinstein.amp
Did the exact same thing happen back in like 2000? Firestone hosted a senior major....i believe the PGA and then a year or two later the event came back to Firestone rebranded as something else.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Was the CC part of the sale or that a separate piece?

They don't own the course, it is part of the ClubCorp network, which is now owned by an Equity firm (although not related to this story).

As always, follow the money. Bridgestone wants a PGA Tour event in Japan. The PGA Tour clearly wants to have an Asian swing in the fall as they already have events in Korea, Malaysia and China. It's a matter of when, not if, there is a Japan event.

The bigger story is that the PGA Tour can't find sponsorship for events in much bigger markets than Akron. Tiger's event in DC this year still doesn't have a sponsor or course. The Houston event (4th largest city in the country) and the Boston event are also heavily rumored to go away in 2019 because of lack of sponsorship.

As always, follow the money. Bridgestone wants a PGA Tour event in Japan. The PGA Tour clearly wants to have an Asian swing in the fall as they already have events in Korea, Malaysia and China. It's a matter of when, not if, there is a Japan event.

The bigger story is that the PGA Tour can't find sponsorship for events in much bigger markets than Akron. Tiger's event in DC this year still doesn't have a sponsor or course. The Houston event (4th largest city in the country) and the Boston event are also heavily rumored to go away in 2019 because of lack of sponsorship.
I've always wondered about the economics of sponsoring a PGA Tour stop. I mean 95+% of the audience/attendees are the same people from year to year aren't they? How many potential customers are you really reaching?

Sad for that area for sure, plus, I hate seeing golf courses that we've grown accustomed to watching on TV over the years go away, i.e. Doral.

Back