Fixed my fade with lead tape

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Last couple weeks I've been hitting a slight push/cut drive. Nothing bad, just had to adjust the aim point further left on the tee to compensate. After yesterdays round with more push/cut drives, I added a strip of lead tape to the heel side of the bottom of the G400 LST when I got home. Today on the 1st hole, a par 4 straight away, I aimed down the left side of the fairway and hit it straight into the left rough. :wtf: On the second tee, a par 5 straight away I aimed at a bunker 245 yds out on the left side of the fairway. Hit it straight right into the bunker. Hmmmmmm, then the light went on. Hey stupid, you put lead tape on the driver.

I can't believe how this lead tape on the heel side of the bottom of the driver made a difference. Should've known it since I've been reading about the various drivers with heel and toe locations for heavier weights to straighten out a fade or draw. The lead tape strip added almost a swing weight and the G400 LST is now D3, but Hey.....it sure works. :whew:

2%2027%2018%20Driver%20with%20tape_zpsi4yqetae.jpg

2 grams of lead tape won't really make a difference in flight path, it was in you all along

The old placebo effect.....if it works, go with it....congrats!

Awwwww come on. Now it won't work. :sad:

The old placebo effect.....if it works, go with it....congrats!

I was gonna say the same, but if he honestly wasn't thinking about it, I'm not sure the placebo effect can be claimed. I agree, though, that 2g of lead tape ain't enough to alter ball flight. Heck, don't most of those weights that the big guys move around weigh in the 10-15 gram range?

I use lead tape a lot but really the only good it has ever done me is helped me hit a desired swing weight.

I understand the placebo deal. I hit 1 fade today, used the driver on 13 of 14 holes. I hit the fade and that was due to over swinging and hitting on the heel. I'll reply back tomorrow after another round. The 1st two holes I'd forgot adding the weight and hit them straight, then after being surprised/curious as to hitting them straight, I remembered adding the weight and aimed down the center of the fairway and enjoyed the straight results, except for that 1 heeler.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. Golf is as psychological as it is physiological. It isn't necessary to explain everything...or that everything have an explanation.

I understand the placebo deal. I hit 1 fade today, used the driver on 13 of 14 holes. I hit the fade and that was due to over swinging and hitting on the heel. I'll reply back tomorrow after another round. The 1st two holes I'd forgot adding the weight and hit them straight, then after being surprised/curious as to hitting them straight, I remembered adding the weight and aimed down the center of the fairway and enjoyed the straight results, except for that 1 heeler.

Glad it worked I didn't mean to put a curse on you. Sometimes I have done something silly like walking to my ball on the tee from the right after standing behind instead of from the left (I am right-handed). For whatever reason it straightens up my alignment as I have a tendency to line up right of the target despite my certainty than I am bang on. For whatever reason this slight change re-orients me.

13 drivers today, one par 4 is short with a dogleg right and use the 3 wood off the tee. 3 fades due to being too quick from the top to impact. The other 10 drives were straight. Only trouble is removing & installing the head cover loosened the back part of the tape. Will add 2 short pieces of lead tape so the head cover issue should go away.

Sure works...

Back