The Club Champion Driver Fitting

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
35,000 combinations is insane.

Crazy that you went in with a 12* setup and came out with a 10.5* setup and different shaft.

I didn’t get fit before I found this site, now I make sure to check in with my fitter and get the optimum specs in my equipment to maximize my game.

As Leadbetter said, it’s crazy to just buy off the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s an awesome result for you JB, that is a lot of yards on the table.

• Admin
35,000 combinations is insane.

Crazy that you went in with a 12* setup and came out with a 10.5* setup and different shaft.

I didn’t get fit before I found this site, now I make sure to check in with my fitter and get the optimum specs in my equipment to maximize my game.

As Leadbetter said, it’s crazy to just buy off the shelf.

Honestly I could have gone lower loft too. We were kind of in between, but the conversation we had about geography and maximizing where I play rather than to fit inside some standard box was pretty cool.

7 Yards is great. I was really impressed with my fitting at Club Champion - and just how much of a difference some relatively small tweaks made. Like you, I was dropped down in loft (1 degree), but had the reverse with lie angle - I went from N to D. That combined with a shaft change got me just north of 10 yards on my best strikes, which I was absolutely floored by.

I had a great experience with Club Champion. I’ve gained at least an additional 25 yards on my drive, I couldn’t and still can’t believe I’ve been leaving that much on the table, but more importantly much improved accuracy and dispersion. I did a full bag fitting, and even though I knew going into the fitting that purchasing through them would be at a premium, I decided to move forward with their recommendations and set up through them.

Some friends think I was insane for doing so, and I agree it was pricy, mainly due to the shafts I was set up with, but I felt that going through Club Champion and not trying to outsource the components and try to build the set up on my own was worth it. Also, the service I received from them was fantastic.

Being a higher handicap, 14, I probably definitely have more advanced clubs than I need, but there is a confidence factor that I’ve had since getting the clubs. I’ve only been out a few times since receiving them due to weather, however it really is amazing how a few tweaks to a set up of swing weight and shaft can affect your game, at least for me. My misses on my Driver were still playable, and my irons were no longer two way misses. Those friends that told me I was crazy are now considering getting fit, maybe not purchasing such an extreme set up, but definitely going in to see what works best for them after seeing my recent play.

Trying to “Buy” a game as some folks call it and probably see it is different than what I feel that I’ve done. I feel that I’ve put myself into the best position to make a decent shot with confidence that the clubs I have were made for me. I don’t have the natural ability like some folks, and as I become middle aged, I’m finally realizing that I will never be a scratch player, so I might as well put something in my hands to assist my flawed swing.

Overall, I’d recommend Club Champion, great service, great selection of shafts and heads to try, and the facility I went to was nice. Price was high, but no pressure from them and they worked with me to get me exactly what I wanted. This was my first time ever getting fitted and first time purchasing a new set of clubs, I wish I would’ve done this earlier!

• Admin
Wow agee, that is a huge gain. Congrats.

The Club Champion Driver Fitting

I don’t need you picking up more yards on me! Solid piece and info. People should be fit before they spend what they spend on new clubs.

Last edited:
Good read, JB. Going to a lighter shaft, did you see any chance in your dispersion?

wow, 35,000 fitting combinations is crazy.

And 7 yards of total distance is freaking awesome, makes hitting the ol irons that much easier being able to grab one less. Plus if I recall Epic to Rogue distance gains were 6+ yards more carry, so call that 8 yards total distance and just in 2017 alone you are now 15 yards longer off the tee. Which makes iron hitting even that much easier being that much closer.

Eye opening for sure, once I get my driver swing under control I need to look into this. Lord knows I need some more yards off the tee.

JB if you look at your numbers, which I'm assuming you have or had, where did that gain come from? Also which shaft were you playing when using your baseline with Epic? I thought for a while you were playing the HZRDUS Yellow already, so did you just drop down in weight class?

Great article here, not only finding the best option for your game but also acquiring the confidence knowing you have something that will work very well for you.

Really causes me to pause and think twice before purchasing blindly which I'm very very bad about doing.

JB if you look at your numbers, which I'm assuming you have or had, where did that gain come from? Also which shaft were you playing when using your baseline with Epic? I thought for a while you were playing the HZRDUS Yellow already, so did you just drop down in weight class?

Baseline Epic we tested two.
My Grandura shaft and a PX Yellow 75 (I played both)
The gain came from two areas.

1. Getting launch up. While spin went up slightly with that, it was not as drastic as some would expect (or I expected). So I was able to get launch up to near 15, while still keeping spin under 2750 on the average.
2. The other is contact. After setup adjustments, I was routinely getting better contact. My miss has always been vertical more than lateral, and the constant for me was missing high for 3-4 strikes and then low for 2-3. That has made self fitting in the past difficult. In this case, we found face angle to really help that honestly. Could be something in my eye, or something else, but it really assisted in having me closer to the center on average. Smash Factor went up, which brought ball speed up, which brought distance up.

Baseline Epic we tested two.
My Grandura shaft and a PX Yellow 75 (I played both)
The gain came from two areas.

1. Getting launch up. While spin went up slightly with that, it was not as drastic as some would expect. So I was able to get launch up to near 15, while still keeping spin under 2750 on the average.
2. The other is contact. After setup adjustments, I was routinely getting better contact. My miss has always been vertical more than lateral, and the constant for me was missing high for 3-4 strikes and then low for 2-3. That has made self fitting in the past difficult. In this case, we found face angle to really help that honestly. Could be something in my eye, or something else, but it really assisted in having me closer to the center on average. Smash Factor went up, which brought ball speed up, which brought distance up.

good stuff. Did you guys talk about shortening the shaft length at all during your fitting/conversation? It also goes to show, that you brought launch up, while lofitng down some 2 degrees. Not something that will do the trick for everyone, but brings in the uniqueness of the golf swing in terms of fitting.

good stuff. Did you guys talk about shortening the shaft length at all during your fitting/conversation? It also goes to show, that you brought launch up, while lofitng down some 2 degrees. Not something that will do the trick for everyone, but brings in the uniqueness of the golf swing in terms of fitting.

Yes. In fact I tested 4 different lengths during my fitting. 44, 44.5, 45 and 45.5. With my unique setup of a 2nd driver, which was discussed in detail to better fit my driver, we settled on 45.
One of things that we saw when my fitting ended, was just how much the head design plays a role in the initial launch (I still believe people get confused with launch and flight). The Rogue launches higher for me. So did the G400 and FMax. Whereas the F8 launches lower for me. While we are only seeing a degree or so difference, the overall performance was impacted.

Nice thoughts man. 7 yards is big!

Makes me feel kind of foolish not getting fit for clubs especially driver. loft and lie could be off, wrong shafts, who knows. I've got a decent idea where my flight should be for maximum distance but that's it. This is something I really need to look at soon.

JB, when you wrap things up there for a fitting, do they give you any kind of data printout, etc that shows the combinations you hit, and the numbers tied to each swing? If so, have that to share? Would be cool to see the variety of data and the fluctuations in certain measurements as you progress through different setups.

Regular customers get full results emailed to them for their records or analyzation. I do not have that.

Good news is, we will be back at Club Champion in a couple of weeks filming an entire fitting with a THPer from their HQ.

Regular customers get full results emailed to them for their records or analyzation. I do not have that.

Good news is, we will be back at Club Champion in a couple of weeks filming an entire fitting with a THPer from their HQ.
Would this be a perfect place for one lucky Morgan Copper to get their fittings done? (They just opened one in Cleveland)

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

.cool.

Would this be a perfect place for one lucky Morgan Copper to get their fittings done? (They just opened one in Cleveland)

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I am not sure. I think its a great place for any fitting, but they are not fitting out of a fitting cart, which is a huge benefit to the golfer, but when an event is tailored to certain choices, it brings in the aspect of getting fit into something that is not going to be offered or available to the participant.

@JB was the 7 yards a total gain or in carry?

@JB was the 7 yards a total gain or in carry?

7 yards total here off my previous testing. Up over 9.4 yards total distance and nearly 6 carry.
More importantly, I have found more repeatable distance, through contact based on some head change setups. That is what I was sorely lacking and one that I think will really be the big benefit.

35,000 combinations is insane! 7.1 yard gain is very impessive and something I could definitely use. I have never been through what I perceive to be a "real fitting" but it is something that I would definitely love to do in the future.

Back