Your Swing Changes/Improvements for 2018

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
What specific changes or improvements are you going to make to your swing this year? Are they flaws that you noticed yourself or ones that a pro or someone else has pointed out to you? How are you planning on doing it?

I have a couple personally.

1) I have noticed that my pause at the top of my swing is becoming more pronounced than I would like. I'm not quite at Hideki's level, but its something I think needs to be improved. Going to try to fix this on the range by just making one fluid motion. Now that I am thinking about it/focused on it, I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to correct, but we'll see.

2) I need to improve my pitching. Quite honestly I think a lot is wrong. Both in my setup and technique. It used to be a really strong part of my game but things have gone south the last year or 2. I'm planning on working with a pro for this one.

For me it’s improving my tempo. I tend to get anxious and rush my swing. Folks I’ve played with have mentioned this to me and have commented that when I swing in tempo and smooth that I am in much better sync and have more clean and solid contact. I’ve been working on trying to keep this in the front of my mind when setting up. I’m using the orange whip too as a tool to see if it can help me with my tempo. This will be my focus for the year!

Continue with the increased hip turn on the backswing that is almost engrained after working on it for over a year. It has taken the stress off my lower back and allowed for longer practice sessions and improved my consistancy.

My big push this year will be increasing my clubhead speed 5 mph through increased fitness and using the SuperSpeed training system along with specific golf exercises in the gym. I no longer have the excuse that I don’t have the time as I’m retiring in April.

Your Swing Changes/Improvements for 2018

Continue focusing on driving my hip thru and flipping the wrists

Might try superspeed to get my swing speed up with driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For now- shoulder turn. Think I’ve gotten lazy. It really helps me more on consistency than distance. Misses are definitely less severe on the range.

The other aspect is taking range to course. Lack of focus I believe is holding me back score-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to get more consistent off of the tee box and I want to start making more putts in the 5-10 foot range. Driver swing is all about my tempo and turning the club over.

Turn and Tempo are what I'm going to focus on. I tend to get quick in transition and that gets my hands moving first. I also have a problem keeping my hips and shoulders rotating through the downswing and I get steep and or flippy in order to save things.

For me it is a continuation of the swing change I have been going through over the course of the past couple of years, but specifically I need to stop my backswing from getting too long as a lot of other problems creep in when that happens

The latest thing I have been working on is getting my takeaway more outside of the line as I had a habit of getting very flat and deep which left me with nowhere to go at the top of my swing other than over the top. At the moment it has meant I can work the ball from right to left a lot easier, but I am now struggling to get it moving the other way

For me it is a continuation of the swing change I have been going through over the course of the past couple of years, but specifically I need to stop my backswing from getting too long as a lot of other problems creep in when that happens

The latest thing I have been working on is getting my takeaway more outside of the line as I had a habit of getting very flat and deep which left me with nowhere to go at the top of my swing other than over the top. At the moment it has meant I can work the ball from right to left a lot easier, but I am now struggling to get it moving the other way

I should have added your first one to my list of problems too. I definitely get too long. A problem I constantly fight, then "cure" then it creeps right back in.

After my last lesson, I am working on my take away and my hands. Getting wide on the take away and dropping my hands instead of sending them right to the ball. This is going to get me in a better impact position.

Working on getting my "feels" back. If I work on tempo and completing the turn both ways the feels of proper swing will come back.

I've got some swing thoughts I'm working on overall, trying to stay behind the ball, keep my head still, and finish well/balanced. And as always working on my driver swing, working on hitting up on it more and really committing to each shot.

What specific changes or improvements are you going to make to your swing this year? Are they flaws that you noticed yourself or ones that a pro or someone else has pointed out to you? How are you planning on doing it?

Get my speed back. I've lost about 10mph ball speed and I'm not sure where.

Also, continue improving my greenside play. It was better last year, but could still use some improvement.

I'm with my instructor to change my AoA. With irons I need to swing down. With driver I need to flatten my swing a little. With irons it is about thinking "swing down" and having a pre-shot routine where I simulate getting my hands in front of the ball at impact. With driver I have a pre-shot routine where the swing the club like a baseball bat.

I have to work on lengthening my backswing further and getting at least a little closer to parallel. I have a crazy short backswing and want to see what kind of distance I can pick up by lengthening it.

Need to get back to work on getting behind the ball in the backswing. When this is off I don't complete my backswing and am rushing to get back to the ball and swinging too hard

I'm working on turning more and taking my arms out of my swing, Repeat-ability is my main focus.

I have to work on lengthening my backswing further and getting at least a little closer to parallel. I have a crazy short backswing and want to see what kind of distance I can pick up by lengthening it.

KEV, how crazy short? I'm getting to just past parallel to the ground right now. I ask because I noted your HC, and figured if you can get to a single digit, my dream of being a mid-80's player may not be to out of the realm of possibility.

Taking Strength and Conditioning very seriously this year. Wanting to get more rotation and some speed in my swing

KEV, how crazy short? I'm getting to just past parallel to the ground right now. I ask because I noted your HC, and figured if you can get to a single digit, my dream of being a mid-80's player may not be to out of the realm of possibility.

Here you go sir. This was from January.

Focusing on getting more upright on the backswing. This should help with a lot of my problems currently and I am sure if I get that in line I will have a lot more issues to work on.

Also getting in the gym 4-6 days a week plus superspeed training to try and get some speed in my swing.

Uploading this and viewing it full screen I just realized how much I dipped my head, I guess I'll work on that too!

That's my kind of swing! If you can get to a single digit with that, I am emboldened to go ahead with my current plan for golf mediocrity.

Edit: Not to infer you are mediocre at all.

That's my kind of swing! If you can get to a single digit with that, I am emboldened to go ahead with my current plan for golf mediocrity.

Edit: Not to infer you are mediocre at all.

Absolutely! I used to chase a better, more normal kind of swing and it never really worked out. I've learned to embrace it and go with what works for me. I'm fine with my short backswing on my irons shots I just want to lengthen it with my driver more than anything to see if I can pick up some yards. Even where it is now I can hit a 9 iron 150 yards and driver 250-270 when struck well so I'm not really super short even with that short backswing.

Back