The nemesis slot in my bag: FAIRWAY WOOD

I hit my fw decent. What are your guys normal issue? When i miss hit my fw its because I'm hitting it fat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Personally, my biggest issue is consistency hitting one off the deck. Probably more of a technique thing, and even though it's not a shot I frequently hit, not being comfortable with it bothers me. And yes, I practice that particular shot regularly!

What has worked for me (when I make good contact)... I look 2 balls length ahead of the actual ball. Makes me try to hit through the ball instead of trying to lift it.
It's so awkward, my eyes looking that far ahead and the problem with that is, my eyes are trained to go back to the ball.

We should just buy and use this:

What a bunch of bullsh!t :rofl:

G400 crossover maybe? I'm putting one in my bag in places of a hybrid. Pretty easy to hit for me and much better off the deck when I compare it to a hybrid or FW wood for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The nemesis slot in my bag: FAIRWAY WOOD

!!!!!!!!!

G400 crossover maybe? I'm putting one in my bag in places of a hybrid. Pretty easy to hit for me and much better off the deck when I compare it to a hybrid or FW wood for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well the hope is the Rogue Heavenwood does the trick. We shall see!

I get along with my fairways a lot better than my driver or long irons. Had a happy mistake finding my 5 wood and the F7 3W I got at the end of last season has been a forgiving monster. It has been a massive upgrade over my old 3w. My old 3w I could barely get off the ground, which made it a tee only one trick pony.

Keep trying things out, man. You'll find your wow club.

what is it about the fairway wood that makes it a more challenging club to use?

Three things:
1) Length of the club.
2) Overswinging - like the driver, and unlike your other clubs, most of the time you are trying to hit it as far as you can.
3) Requires two different swings, not one. Off the tee, driver swing. Off the deck, slightly descending attack angle more like a long iron.

...the Rogue Heavenwood is looking like a very appealing offering right now.

Just curious, what is the difference in distance between your Rogue Heavenwood and your G400 19* 3 hybrid?

Just curious, what is the difference in distance between your Rogue Heavenwood and your G400 19* 3 hybrid?

I'll post some numbers when I get it, but I'm guessing probably around a 10 to 15 yard difference in favor of the Heavenwood.

Go dual drivers and don’t look back. With your distance and your hybrid consistency do you really need a 240 club off the deck? Get that second driver 42.5-43” at about 12 degrees that will be a point and shoot 240 yd club off the tee.

My current gamer is the Callaway XR 3W. My former gamer went to my son, Callaway XR16 4W. My old Epic 5W also went to my son when I got my G400 3h. Those three were my best woods. The other fairway woods I’ve had have ranged from not so good to a complete waste of money. Being a club ho is tough with that FW spot. I’m still trying to talk myself out of a new Rogue 4 or 5 wood. Just for gapping purposes off the tee it might be worth it.

I too struggle with the fairway wood. I have problems with launch because of my ultra strong grip that promotes me with hooding the face down at impact.
The best fairway wood I ever owned was a K15 5w with a Kusala White shaft that played at 41 1/8". It was a point and shoot 200 yd club (I only hit my driver about 235 on avg).
I got rid of it because I found some hybrids I liked and at the time was playing a 17*/20*/23*/26* hybrid setup.

Last summer I tested a G400 SF Tec 5w on the course. I lofted it down to 18* which opened up the face which helps with my strong grip and extra face closure. It was hands down the best fairway wood off the deck I've ever tried. I have tried it since a few times on the range and store with repeatable results, so I will buy one once the used pricing comes down a bit.

I don’t necessarily struggle with my fairway wood, but I am a little inconsistent with it. I game a Tour Edge CB5 4 wood, and when I swing it well that club is intoxicating.

I had more consistency with the Callaway V-Series Heavenwood, but I missed the sound and the distance of the CB5, so I went back.

I don’t necessarily struggle with my fairway wood, but I am a little inconsistent with it. I game a Tour Edge CB5 4 wood, and when I swing it well that club is intoxicating.

I had more consistency with the Callaway V-Series Heavenwood, but I missed the sound and the distance of the CB5, so I went back.

I took fairway woods out of my bag until I discovered the V-Series Heavenwood. Before that club, I really struggled hitting fairways off the deck. But the V-Series just wasn't a great tee option for me. Enter Rogue.

Tough spot in the bag ... inconsistent for me, but I'm going through a swing change in an effort to gain more consistency.

I've had more succes with a 4 wd, 7 wd combo and then 4H. I will also put one inch shaft lengths between 4 wd (42.5) and 7 wd (41.5)

My typical round in the past with a fairway will be ball too forward and top it, then low and left because face shut down - swing issues, or I try to hit it above or below my feet when I should just pull hybrid or iron - take my medicine.

So - it's a comedy of errors as part of a learning process.

And then there is buying the wrong shaft issue with a 4 wd - launch is needed. My solution? Lessons to gain speed and consistency through the bag, and then learning to be smart on the course - don't be dumb - take the intelligent game management shot.

Oh, and I think the most important easy piece is to completely relax the arms throughout the swing and, and then drive that right shoulder forward.

Last edited:
The fairway wood has been constantly changing in my bag and I am finally settled on the 917F. It has been a monster off the tee for me and surprisingly easy to hit off the deck as well. I'll admit that don't hit the fairway wood from the fairway often, fairly close to never. The few times I did it last year though, I had great success with it.

I didn't carry a 3 wood for about 4 years till I picked up the Epic Star - before that I only carried a X2Hot 5W which was the most consistent/easiest to hit wood I ever had. I really believe it has a lot to do with how deep the face is and how the sole of the club interacts with the turf...for me at least.

I took fairway woods out of my bag until I discovered the V-Series Heavenwood. Before that club, I really struggled hitting fairways off the deck. But the V-Series just wasn't a great tee option for me. Enter Rogue.
If I’m being honest, the V-Series heavenwood wasn’t that great for me off the tee either, but I had chalked that up to something mental I was doing since I tee’d it so low it was basically off the deck.

I'm kind of the opposite. I've had huge FW lust for a couple years now, but every time I try one it fails to stack up against that awful looking RBZ2. Honestly, I think it mostly comes down to the shaft that I've put in it. Maybe try a new shaft in a head you already like?

I'm kind of the opposite. I've had huge FW lust for a couple years now, but every time I try one it fails to stack up against that awful looking RBZ2. Honestly, I think it mostly comes down to the shaft that I've put in it. Maybe try a new shaft in a head you already like?

Well that's why I'm going with a Heavenwood again. It checks all the boxes for me and I'm a fan of the EvenFlow line so I'm interested to see how the EF Blue works for me. I think I'll get it sorted out, and I would like to find something, get comfortable with it and keep it in the bag for as long as possible.

Well that's why I'm going with a Heavenwood again. It checks all the boxes for me and I'm a fan of the EvenFlow line so I'm interested to see how the EF Blue works for me. I think I'll get it sorted out, and I would like to find something, get comfortable with it and keep it in the bag for as long as possible.

It's a handy club to be able to rely on, it really gives you a ton of options. As soon as you find the one for you, don't sell it off! As much as I hate looking down at mine, I sure don't mind the successful shots it performs for me.

Good thread! The 3W I had last year was the plague. Seldom used it and would opt for my 3H instead. A few decent hits here and there but overall just did not like it.

Fast forward to now, I have the Steelhead XR 4+ and this week my Rogue 4 arrives. I think the higher lofted club at 17* will help as opposed to the 3W loft of usually 13-15*. It's a club I really want to hit well but would always get frustrated and stop trying to learn it. I'm giving it one more shot to be a weapon on and off the tee.

Hope you and all of us figure out the woes of this club!

I have always struggled with getting good contact with fairway woods. For some reason though I keep trying to find something. I currently carry a Cobra F7 5-6 with the loft cranked all the way up, which I am successful with sometimes, but not with any real consistency. If I was smart I would stick to my hybrids.

Good thread! The 3W I had last year was the plague. Seldom used it and would opt for my 3H instead. A few decent hits here and there but overall just did not like it.

Fast forward to now, I have the Steelhead XR 4+ and this week my Rogue 4 arrives. I think the higher lofted club at 17* will help as opposed to the 3W loft of usually 13-15*. It's a club I really want to hit well but would always get frustrated and stop trying to learn it. I'm giving it one more shot to be a weapon on and off the tee.

Hope you and all of us figure out the woes of this club!

I'm pretty confident the Rogue Heavenwood will cure my woes. I figure adding Jailbreak to an already forgiving club can only be a good thing! I should have mine in the next couple weeks so we'll see :D.

Lately I only hit my 3w off the tee and don’t even try to hit it in the fairway. With my hybrids being totally unreliable my longest fairway club right now is my 5 iron. So I have a huge gap to fill.

Back