The nemesis slot in my bag: FAIRWAY WOOD

Only if I have find the correct shaft for my fairway wood ....

My problem : if only .

I struggle with fairways. One day I was in a GG and their used bin had a Ping G5 5-Wood for $20. That thing was the easiest fairway wood to hit. Have thought about picking up the G5 3-wood just for fun.

In my case I would have to say the fairway wood is my nemesis also. However, I also know that it has nothing to do with the club but me. There are times I can crush one, and, in fact, did so back to back yesterday with a 4W hitting two of the most solid shots with a FW in years. Other times I hit it weak, or even top it. I just have to concentrate more on ball position and the idea of hitting down on the ball. If I try to flatten my swing or try to "help" the ball up that is when I hit my worst shots.

dropped it, only have hybrid now. It was costing me too many strokes, the rare chance I have a 2 shot onto par 5 chance I rarely land it on the green with it, with many downsides. I'd much rather get on 3 and try to birdie from there.

I have always struggled with FW off the deck. I topped probably 9/10 shots. In the beginning, I felt like it was the head. The TM 3 woods were hook monsters.

After many different heads and shafts, I've found a combo I can hit off the deck and get the distance off the tee that I need. Callaway 816 Alpha and the Even Flow Blue. SUCH a good combo. But I also realized how good the Callaway heads are. Rogue is stupid long for me. I may look at that one. In terms of shaft though, nothing will beat the smoothness of the EF Blue.

Lately I only hit my 3w off the tee and don’t even try to hit it in the fairway. With my hybrids being totally unreliable my longest fairway club right now is my 5 iron. So I have a huge gap to fill.

I have always struggled with FW off the deck. I topped probably 9/10 shots. In the beginning, I felt like it was the head. The TM 3 woods were hook monsters.

After many different heads and shafts, I've found a combo I can hit off the deck and get the distance off the tee that I need. Callaway 816 Alpha and the Even Flow Blue. SUCH a good combo. But I also realized how good the Callaway heads are. Rogue is stupid long for me. I may look at that one. In terms of shaft though, nothing will beat the smoothness of the EF Blue.

I've said it around here a few times, but I'm legitimately hyped about the Rogue Heavenwood/EF Blue combo I have coming. I really think it's going to make my FW slot useful again!

Last edited:
So one of the reasons I love my ugly 3 wood so much is, I believe, the shaft as I have mentioned. I did a quick comparison of the new shaft against the older one, and the new one is actually heavier than the older shaft I had in it. I know there are MANY other differences, and thats not always an approach that works for everyone, but have you ever given that a shot?

I am giving myself one more chance to use fairway wood again.

I am ordering a new shaft , hopefully the new shaft is matching my swing's profile.

( Oh dear .... here we go again )

Back