The nemesis slot in my bag: FAIRWAY WOOD

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
Without question, the spot I've had the most difficulty finding consistency with in my bag is the fairway wood. But that got me thinking, what is it about the fairway wood that makes it a more challenging club to use? Is it because of it's dual purpose use? During the time I've played, I can think of maybe one FW (TM V-Steel FTW) that was super consistent off the tee and off the deck. Everything else has been a mixed bag and that's putting it lightly. Second to the V-Steel was definitely the GBB Heavenwood, which is why the Rogue Heavenwood is looking like a very appealing offering right now. All that said, my primary goal is to find a club that will give me that consistency I need from the FW slot. I just don't quite understand why getting to that point has been so difficult!

Anyone else face a similar struggle? If so, what club ended up being your FW Holy Grail?

I'm right there with you, Josh. I go through FW as often as my socks... I recently got a XR 16 4 wood that's at 16 degrees. Shallow face, smaller head. But I said the same about the last 6 FWs I've owned in 3 months...

That's historically been a touchy spot in my bag too.

I had a really good, productive run with a TM R9 4 wood for quite a while.

Last year I found a bit of (inconsistent) success with a Cobra LTD 4-5 wood.

Then, in the middle of last year I picked up an Apex 3 hybrid. This gave me more confidence towards the shorter end of what I wanted out of a FW, so I'd pull it whenever I could. Most of the time off the tee I figured I could spare the 10-20 yards I'd lose compared to a FW, at least in situations where I was already okay with not hitting driver.

From what I've seen out of my new bag, I have *very* high hopes my Rogue 3W will be another long term dependable club. (And I'm not sure that my Apex has seen it's last days in my bag yet either)

I don't know if this is actually helpful, but I'd recommend building confidence with whatever club is 1 shorter than the FW wood gap you're looking to fill. For me anyway having that confidence meant that I hit my inconsistent FW less often, but when I pulled it I knew what I was getting in to. In a funny way that seemed to help me make more confident swings and get better results.

I'm right there with you, Josh. I go through FW as often as my socks... I recently got a XR 16 4 wood that's at 16 degrees. Shallow face, smaller head. But I said the same about the last 6 FWs I've owned in 3 months...

FW definitely the nemesis. I really want to dial this one in though. I know it's not the club... it's definitely my swing.

I have the same struggle. I have yet to find a fairway wood I hit consistently well, to the point I rarely hit it. I am much more accurate and consistent with the driver so the only place it makes sense off the tee is where driver is too long and ut iron is too short. Off the deck I tend to only attempt it when there is no trouble. It stays in the bag only because I have room for it. Certainly have considered the dual driver approach, or maybe another wedge just for fun. I may give a heaven wood a chance at some point but I don't have an answer for this.

That's historically been a touchy spot in my bag too.

I had a really good, productive run with a TM R9 4 wood for quite a while.

Last year I found a bit of (inconsistent) success with a Cobra LTD 4-5 wood.

Then, in the middle of last year I picked up an Apex 3 hybrid. This gave me more confidence towards the shorter end of what I wanted out of a FW, so I'd pull it whenever I could. Most of the time off the tee I figured I could spare the 10-20 yards I'd lose compared to a FW, at least in situations where I was already okay with not hitting driver.

From what I've seen out of my new bag, I have *very* high hopes my Rogue 3W will be another long term dependable club. (And I'm not sure that my Apex has seen it's last days in my bag yet either)

I don't know if this is actually helpful, but I'd recommend building confidence with whatever club is 1 shorter than the FW wood gap you're looking to fill. For me anyway having that confidence meant that I hit my inconsistent FW less often, but when I pulled it I knew what I was getting in to. In a funny way that seemed to help me make more confident swings and get better results.

You bring up a good point, and that's actually what I'm going with for the time being. I pulled the Mizuno CLK 2H and I'm rolling with 13 clubs for now because I hit my Ping G400 3H (a) more consistently and (b) just about as far. What blows my mind about that is the CLK 2H has a similar footprint, but I've literally only hit a handful of good shots with it. Yet my G400 3H is pretty much point and shoot. Must be the turbulators :wink:.

You ever do a fitting for a fairway? My mind was blown when it turns out I'm WAY better with a fairway with the weight forward, even with the forgiveness penalties. Contact is so much better.

i agree, it's a really tough slot. i think it's also telling that some guys on tour seem to keep their fw in the bag for awhile instead of upgrading every year.

it's the longest club you will hit off the ground. that inherently makes it more difficult.

i think it's also somewhat difficult to trust. and for whatever reason i think we often psyche ourselves out with it instead of just swinging it like a 7i.

key for me is to hit through the ball instead of trying to hit up on the ball/help lift the ball. Using the loft to my advantage instead of trying to create it has helped me alot when trying to live with just one fairway wood.

I had the same struggle finding a 3 wood to my liking after the Bertha Mini 14* turned on me. Tried several newer releases without much consistency so I finally just reverted to finding a 5 or so year old XHot Pro because I have expereinced a lot of success with the 5 wood.

What has worked for me (when I make good contact)... I look 2 balls length ahead of the actual ball. Makes me try to hit through the ball instead of trying to lift it.
It's so awkward, my eyes looking that far ahead and the problem with that is, my eyes are trained to go back to the ball.

We should just buy and use this:

You ever do a fitting for a fairway? My mind was blown when it turns out I'm WAY better with a fairway with the weight forward, even with the forgiveness penalties. Contact is so much better.

I have not, and fitting options out here are super limited along with club availability. That certainly doesn't prohibit me from trying what is available though so I may do just that. Of the newer lines available, SZ and F8 have the weight forward IIRC.

i agree, it's a really tough slot. i think it's also telling that some guys on tour seem to keep their fw in the bag for awhile instead of upgrading every year.

it's the longest club you will hit off the ground. that inherently makes it more difficult.

i think it's also somewhat difficult to trust. and for whatever reason i think we often psyche ourselves out with it instead of just swinging it like a 7i.

Your second point perfectly captures what I feel the key difference is! I suppose it really is about sticking with a club that you feel comfortable with, which for me in more recent history, was definitely the Heavenwood.

Im the exact opposite. My fairway wood (I only carry 1- Callaway fusion 5 wood) is the most reliable club in my bag. I love it off the tee, deck and even light rough. My scores would drop by 3 or 4 strokes if I left the driver at home because the fairway wood is deep and accurate. The fusion is very forgiving! give it a shot.

Im the exact opposite. My fairway wood (I only carry 1- Callaway fusion 5 wood) is the most reliable club in my bag. I love it off the tee, deck and even light rough. My scores would drop by 3 or 4 strokes if I left the driver at home because the fairway wood is deep and accurate. The fusion is very forgiving! give it a shot.

Honestly it's a good thing I've found some consistency with my driver or I'd be in a bit of a predicament! I hope to reach a similar level of comfort eventually with a FW, and I do know that not continually swapping clubs will help me get to that point.

Been there. I've had 3wds that were great off the tee, but difficult off the deck (usually too tall of a face for off the deck shots) and I've had FW that were great off the ground, but difficult to utilize well off the tee (probably because they were shallow faced and I couldn't convince myself to tee it low enough). I'm hitting my PB Citation 3wd fairly well right now. It's 15° and I have it cut to 42.5", I think... maybe 42.25". Considering swapping the head out for a 5wd that's 18°. In a perfect world, I'd have a 16° in this head, but I'm willing to give up some distance if it means I'm more consistent with it.

Been there. I've had 3wds that were great off the tee, but difficult off the deck (usually too tall of a face for off the deck shots) and I've had FW that were great off the ground, but difficult to utilize well off the tee (probably because they were shallow faced and I couldn't convince myself to tee it low enough). I'm hitting my PB Citation 3wd fairly well right now. It's 15° and I have it cut to 42.5", I think... maybe 42.25". Considering swapping the head out for a 5wd that's 18°. In a perfect world, I'd have a 16° in this head, but I'm willing to give up some distance if it means I'm more consistent with it.

The length of the club is another good point. I've always struggled with anything in the 43" range, and have found that 42.5-42.75" to be optimal for me. I'm also more of a fan of compact FW club heads. Totally agree about giving up a little distance for consistency, too. Bombing it is no good if you're off line!

I absolutely love my 7 wood but can't hit my 3 wood to save my life. the reason it's still in my bag is a mystery but I haven't found anything better but it looks nice since it matches the set lol

I carry a 3 and 5w and they’re usually better for me than driver, at least as far as “straight” goes. I don’t have a huge issue hitting my 5w off the deck, off the tee it’s a bit of a challenge, my 3w is better off the tee than off the deck.

When I’m playing a lot, this slot in the bag is just never used enough to worry about. I can usually get the same distance and more control out of a hybrid driving iron. I keep a 3 wood in my bag that has a 5 wood shaft in it for tight tee shots, I’ll use it once during the round...if that. I prefer to hit long irons off the deck, just more consistent and equal distance for the most part, or if a little shorter it doesn’t matter.

I carry a 3 and 5w and they’re usually better for me than driver, at least as far as “straight” goes. I don’t have a huge issue hitting my 5w off the deck, off the tee it’s a bit of a challenge, my 3w is better off the tee than off the deck.

I'm hoping to find that unicorn FW that is deadly from both!

When I’m playing a lot, this slot in the bag is just never used enough to worry about. I can usually get the same distance and more control out of a hybrid driving iron. I keep a 3 wood in my bag that has a 5 wood shaft in it for tight tee shots, I’ll use it once during the round...if that. I prefer to hit long irons off the deck, just more consistent and equal distance for the most part, or if a little shorter it doesn’t matter.

Yeah it probably is the least utilized club in my bag, but I'm bound and determined to figure it out. Until then, I'm all in on the G400 3H for those shots that require some distance and accuracy!

I am the same way. I only carry a 3 wood. I play a Ping G20 3 wood that I just can't get out of my bag no matter how hard I try. This year it was a failed experiment with a G400 3 wood. I have fought with this club every time I tried it. My G20 is back in the bag and I am killing it!
Good luck with your search!
Joe

I'm hoping to find that unicorn FW that is deadly from both!

That’s why I carry two. I have a gap between my 5w and 5 iron, but I’m not trying to hold a green at that distance anyway so I can live with it.

I am the same way. I only carry a 3 wood. I play a Ping G20 3 wood that I just can't get out of my bag no matter how hard I try. This year it was a failed experiment with a G400 3 wood. I have fought with this club every time I tried it. My G20 is back in the bag and I am killing it!
Good luck with your search!
Joe

Ugghh, the G400 3W was super disappointing. It did confirm that I prefer compact club heads so that’s the silver lining I suppose!

My 3 and 5 woods are now 5 years old from their model year. I'm not sure if it is the shaft or head, but they have been the most consistent for me for those slots ever. I'm afraid to even think of moving to something different.

I hit my fw decent. What are your guys normal issue? When i miss hit my fw its because I'm hitting it fat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back