Does MOI Mean Forgiveness?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the most talked about areas of drivers right now is Moment of Inertia (MOI). Numbers are being put out that are higher than ever, but does that mean forgiveness for the golfer? We went right to the design experts to ask them and see what they had to say and the conversation was incredible.

Michael Vrska and Tom Olsavsky talk about MOI, how it relates to center of gravity (CG) and more importantly, how it impacts the performance of the driver to the golfer. This THP Quick Tech is packed with so much information on the creation of drivers.

Lots of great information in that short video. MOI means less lose of distance in whatever direction the face pointed. That makes excellent sense to me!! Never really thought about it until I saw this short video. Great job!!

This is an interesting discussion, and resonates with me. As I mentioned in hicksta's fairway wood thread, I'd been playing the 815 fairway with the weight back maximizing MOI thinking "forgiveness". In my fitting, one of the first changes was to move the weight forward. The difference in me squaring up and making good contact was night and day.

I love listening to guys like Vrska and TO talk about the design process and how everything comes together. It's fascinating to me.

I’m really going to push to get my COG in the right place for me swing at my next fitting. It will only make misses better and my center strikes more betterer.

Those guys are SMART! Very interesting and intriguing information.

Great video, admittedly had no idea how CG and MOI tied together and how one can be almost worthless without the other since we aren't robots.

I had never heard the relationship between CG and the golfer's ability to square the face explained so well. It's like these two know what they're talking about.

MOI has become that key metric people discuss, but it sounds like when getting fit, finding that right CG is more important to a good part of the population. Maximize not only the good shots, but how often they occur, sounds like a good goal to have.

The discussion on how Cobra looks to hit "the bell curve" with shaft selection, but that they are moving to allow more aftermarket shafts is an interesting one. Would like to in the future hear about their fitting philosophy as well as more detail on their shaft selection process. IMHO, they have had an outstanding selection of non-upcharge shafts the last couple of years but I think the majority of their sales do wind up being off the shelf. Could be totally off base with that so it would be interesting to learn.

Super video! Well done Michael & TO. These guys should be teaching a class in this stuff - you can't help but get smarter listening to them.

I loved TO's quote:

CG is a 'playability' and a 'squaring the face' function.
MOI is a 'mishit' function.

And I like how he pointed out that many people now equate MOI with forgiveness, but this type of forgiveness is not equal to "straight".

I imagine chasing the right sound down (I think he said that was the last process) could drive designers nuts, since it's so subjective to begin with!

And is it just the camera perspective, or does TO have gigantic hands?

Man these videos keep delivering. I like how in a simple way the misnomers of MOI and CG are discussed and explained. Interesting that you can have all the MOI in the world, but with bad CG placement you will not see any benefits.

I also like how the OEM's realize the importance of sound and how much it plays with perception of a driver.

Man there are some seriously smart dudes working at CPG. I've always heard and thought I understood the terms thought I knew exactly what it means to me but obviously there's a lot more to it. I love hearing TO, Yags and others talk technology, sure makes me feel very simple minded at times though!

I haven't been able to watch the video as am at work, but will try to watch it later

With regard to getting the COG in the right place for a golfer, is that something which one of the Callaway Alpha drivers intended to help achieve with the dual weight chambers where you could get the heavier weight in the area behind where the golfer commonly hit the ball?

I always learn so much whenever a TO video is posted. Explains why some heads feel great to me and provide high average ball speeds but I rarely hit them straight. Just hot enough to hook it into the woods or OOB isn't good.

well, we can add that to the list of things i totally didn't understand. that video helped a ton! as i understand it, cg=direction, moi=mishits. very cool!

I really like that video a lot and it explained why I like some clubs more than others because of the CG. I think that's where I need more help, getting the club face square, than on the actual mis hits where I can live with the results even if it's not a super forgiving head. Great work guys!

This was very informative ... great video.

Great video!! Golf equipment design is such a massive balancing act!!

That's a couple of real smart dudes passing on knowledge.
Thanks !!

Amazing video - perfectly explains how they work in conjunction in certain ways.

Thanks guys. It's not easy getting two together like this, but when you do, you know some good stuff is coming.

Love TO's position, "He Creates Clubs"

Love these types of discussions, it's truly amazing how many factors are involved in club design and getting something that works/fits for you!

Love TO's position, "He Creates Clubs"

Love these types of discussions, it's truly amazing how many factors are involved in club design and getting something that works/fits for you!

Yeah that was the best I could come up with.

Those two are great together on camera. Heck, Michael Vrska is great with anyone on camera.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch this one. Excellent conversation as always between these two. I’m going to have to watch it again I think, I don’t quite understand the MOI isn’t that type of forgiveness but.

Those two are great together on camera. Heck, Michael Vrska is great with anyone on camera.

We have another one with the two of them coming next week that is freaking awesome. It’s about driver creation from idea to product.

Pretty awesome that I’ve been lucky enough to play golf with both of these guys. TO is the master of “power to all fields” so he knows his stuff when he talks forgiveness on mishits

Back