Blades Vs Cavity Back

Perhaps, (but by now way certain of this at all) this is because players like Spieth can hole 15-20 footers and would give up some closer proximity to the hole, and play cavities...for me I need to be inside 10ft for a decent birdie chance. PGA Tour players can putt!...me 1.68

Genuine question. Do you honestly believe that Spieth is giving up accuracy with his irons and therefore would be closer to the thole if he played muscle backs? Or for that matter the 70% + golfers on the PGA Tour would be closer to the hole by switching types of irons? I mean the player with the closest proximity to the hole this year, played cavity backs.

Im not doubting what it does for the individual, as a person knows what they like and prefer to work with, but speaking with plenty of tour vans, plenty of R&D folks and plenty of tour players about this topic over the years that seems a bit lost in the shuffle.

Wrong thread to read after Mojitos. My head hurts!

Perhaps, (but by now way certain of this at all) this is because players like Spieth can hole 15-20 footers and would give up some closer proximity to the hole, and play cavities...for me I need to be inside 10ft for a decent birdie chance. PGA Tour players can putt!...me 1.68

you're absolutely right, those boys can PUTT! when i've played with excellent golfers, i've noticed 3 things: 1) consistency across the board with no wild misses, 2) fantastic short game when greens are missed, and 3) wonderful putting strokes. where i'm not tracking with you is that i don't think anyone is giving up proximity to the hole for the sole reason that they can putt.

I really can appreciate ProZone's stick-to-itiveness.

I really can appreciate ProZone's stick-to-itiveness.

Freddie's pounding mojitos and Joe is at the buffet with Lacy drinking a beer and gravy mix of some sorts...

Wednesdays on THP are awesome!

Okay guys, whether you agree with things or not, lets keep this one to the topic at hand. Thanks everybody.

Who is that what Iron does he play preps it would be better to get an average of 20 players. ReaL blades Vs cavities...without players clubs with a muscle. After all this topic is blades vs cavities

You realize that the player who has the closest proximity to the hole out of the entire PGA tour right now plays a CB iron, right?

Who is that what Iron does he play preps it would be better to get an average of 20 players. ReaL blades Vs cavities...not players clubs with a muscle

Currently for this year, 4 of the top 5 in that stat category do not play muscle backs.

Who is that what Iron does he play preps it would be better to get an average of 20 players. ReaL blades Vs cavities...not players clubs with a muscle

Right now it's Graeme McDowell and he plays Srixon 745's. I'm not sure why you need an average though in this instance. Isn't the argument you're trying to make that you can't be as accurate with CB's than with MB's? That's pretty much exactly what you have been saying in this entire thread. That CB's somehow inhibit what you're able to do and how accurate you can be. Zach Johnson is also on that list in the top 5 and I believe he plays AP2's.

I never said inferior. Ball speed retention will be better off of a cavity iron than a blade. That's not an opinion.

What is my opinion, other than aesthetics, blades do no offer anything that a cavity iron does not.
I agree in part.

Ball speed retention CB yes , MB no
Forgiveness and hiding swing flaws CB yes, MB no

Forcing pin point ball striking MB yes, CB not so much. Due to built in forgiveness

Offset CB often very generous, MB mostly little to none.

Which for me is a huge advantage of MB over CB since I suffer from the Hooks. If there is a CB with zero offset please let me know. Forgiveness with zero offset is a Hook hitters Dream club.

Ball flight control advantage MB.

JMTC

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Right now it's Graeme McDowell and he plays Srixon 745's. I'm not sure why you need an average though in this instance. Isn't the argument you're trying to make that you can't be as accurate with CB's than with MB's? That's pretty much exactly what you have been saying in this entire thread. That CB's somehow inhibit what you're able to do and how accurate you can be. Zach Johnson is also on that list in the top 5 and I believe he plays AP2's.

For the current year 4 of the top 5 dont play blades.
For last year I believe all 5 didnt.

I say that and reiterate I am not making a statement against the club choice. Just that the thought that the PGA Tour guys who are not using them are giving it away because they are better putters. The stats say otherwise.

I agree in part.

Forcing pin point ball striking MB yes, CB not so much. Due to built in forgiveness

Which for me is a huge advantage of MB over CB since I suffer from the Hooks. If there is a CB with zero offset please let me know. Forgiveness with zero offset is a Hook hitters Dream club.

JMTC

Johan,
One thing to note is that offset does not necessarily cause or accentuate a hook. In fact it is near the bottom of why it happens.

I think we need to call Mythbusters in on this, only way it's getting settled✌️

Genuine question here because I'm legitimately curious.
Is there any way that more offset can accentuate a block to the right? I know a block is a swing issue, but I'm just really curious.

Currently for this year, 4 of the top 5 in that stat category do not play muscle backs.
What about the top 20?

I agree in part.

JMTC

In regards to the bolded:

I don't understand CBs hiding swing flaws. Ball flight will tell you everything you need to know. On top of that, I played the XR Pros all 2015. I never once thought they lacked feedback. But that's just me.

Even the most forgiving CBs need to have a good swing put on them, you can't just throw the club at the ball and get a straight shot.

Offset does not produce hooks. Bad swings produce hooks. Offset helps elevate the ball.

What about the top 20?

Why limit it to 20.
If we are going to stretch it out to try to accommodate stats, just take the whole tour. And three quarters of them (roughly) (at last count) were not playing musclebacks.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. It depends on what you are comparing. Like others have said some CB's are more of a players iron, while others are closer to a GI iron.

Just one example, but the Bridgestone J15 CB's have an offset of 2.5-3.5 mm while the MB's have an offset of 1.5-2.5 mm. I honestly don't believe 1 mm makes a difference and I think you'll find similar offsets when comparing other makes player style CB's to their MB's. I'm also fairly certain that I could not see 1 mm of difference unless it was marked out on a rule/tape for me.

I know for a fact that 1 mm does not make a difference in whether or not I hook a ball as I can regularly hit accidental hooks with any of my J15 CB irons. It almost always means for me that I unhinged my wrists too early.

I'm enjoying this thread for sure.

I'm enjoying this thread for sure.

Me too. For some reason threads like this tend to start to go down an interesting route, but they never need to. The THP Way is friendly, helpful conversation that can be fun, educational and full of information.

Me too. For some reason threads like this tend to start to go down an interesting route, but they never need to. The THP Way is friendly, helpful conversation that can be fun, educational and full of information.

All very true. So many different thoughts on this subject really surprised me. Of course I'm on the side they are easier to control but to each his own

All very true. So many different thoughts on this subject really surprised me. Of course I'm on the side they are easier to control but to each his own

I think that makes a ton of sense for you, as a +2.4 handicap and obviously an exceptional ball striker. I'd expect nothing less than that from someone on the plus side of scratch.

Back