Buying Golf Equipment - Do you try and support local/small businesses?

I like to buy from the local shop - not necessarily a tiny company, but local - rather than go to Golf Galaxy/Dick's/etc.

I've never played a Titleist club, so I guess i'm not supporting the local club manufacturer, though I did play an old set of Spalding irons for a while when I was a kid.

I stress more about the overall performance for my game. We don't have any local golf businesses but I do have companies I give preference to and usually get first shot.

There’s a couple of local shops and I give them my business when I can, but I’m looking at specific goals for what I buy, so not usually.

I wish I could say yes.... but the answer is no. I go to one shop in Alameda (close to me) and the guy is great, have had some club work done there and bought a few things, but nothing consistent. But when I do a fitting, I will go to a bigger shop that has better launch monitors and more options, then likely order it online for a cheaper price.

Most equipment purchases I make are online to avoid sales tax, for cheaper price and for convenience.

I will buy some things from my home course, but only if I have proshop credit or it is a discounted item due to a fitting there by an OEM or some other discount.

So basically I am selfish and will look out for myself before anyone else.

To some degree I try to support my local shop. At the local driving range I always go to I take lessons there even though Golftec is nearby. Recently I bought my push cart there instead of from Amazon (for a better price too.) and I had them regrip my putter.

But whenI can get a really good deal on Amazon or from Roger Dunn I will, because golf is expensive.

I try to for the most part. I get pretty good pricing locally so I really have no need to shop online.

I don’t know of any local golf companies, but I do support my favorite local brick and mortar shop. After losing Sports Authority there is a big hole for sports gear. I want someplace around here that I’ll be able to hit clubs at before buying. We also have a good relationship that goes beyond buyer-seller. We’re not best buds or anything, but there’s that personal touch that makes the extra expense worth it. They’ve even told me if I would stop buying clubs I’d probably shoot much lower scores.

I don't really worry about the size of the brand per say but I do prefer to support my home course pro shop over big box or online. I also try to support Canadian when I can but there's very little Canadian-made stuff out there in the golf industry so that's sort of a non-issue.
I don't care about companies that don't care about Canada (looking at you Bridgestone).

I go to Dicks for my Balls because they own Maxfli.

I try to - I still have yet to get my hands on some Snell Get Sums, and I intend to rectify that soon. They're good people there. I do also buy a lot of Ahead clothing which is headquartered in the city next to me.

I don't own any Titleist.

I would if there was more local stores here. I think we better get use to the idea of buying online.I am not driving too far out of the way to support someone unless they offer value and service.

i do at least consider it and often shop at the locals. None of them employ more here in MA than Titleist and they are a good customer of mine.

Budget Golf is within driving range, which makes it nice. We have a PGASS near my wife’s work in Schaumburg and a Golf Galaxy near my work in Vernon Hills and several nearby course pro shops. I’m sure there are other stores as well.

I surprised myself a little when I thought about it. My two putters were bought online, and the other thirteen were bought from - and fitted by - our local golf center. Waited for a sale on non-Ping or last year's models, and prices are close enough that I like being able to go there in the rare event of a problem. I think I get treated well when I go there because I've bought my clubs there.

All the equipment in my bag right now is Taylormade, Callaway, or Evnroll....all of which are headquartered less than an hour from my house. And I probably wear more Travis Matthew shirts and hats than any other brand, and their HQ is 20 minutes away.

So I guess the answer is yes for me.

I try to buy local, we have a nice local club store in Louisville. They have a good selection because they sell online too so it makes it easy to get fitted and still walk out with the item most of the time. Tried a course I had never played locally a couple weeks ago and they had a bunch of Footjoy shirts for $35. I am going to grab a few of them when I go back. Not sure how they got the hookup on those.

Back