Question about the new rule 2018(deflected ball)

Sennamont

Reaction score
Handicap
Allergies
Last edited:
Double hit is still a penalty, iirc, but this makes me question that.

That wouldn't be a deflection. The ball didn't come back and hit the club face a second time.

That wouldn't be a deflection. The ball didn't come back and hit the club face a second time.
All the wording in the rule makes it sound like double hitting would apply. It doesn't say it has to come back, nor does it exclude club face as grounds for not deflection?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A ball in motion deflected by you or your equipment would, by definition, include double hits.

No slippery slope here; this deflection rule is addressing stationary objects, including bodies and equipment. A double hit is still that, a player striking the ball twice.

I think I found the ruling literature: https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/rules-double-hitting-golf-shot

..."Adding complexity, Gregory said if the ball were to hit something else (a tree, bunker lip, etc) and then rebounded and hit your club after deflection, it applies to a different rule (19-2) but the result is the same. "Count the stroke and add a penalty stroke for two strokes in all. Except in a rare circumstance where the ball comes to rest on the player, partner, their caddies or equipment. In this case, the player must drop the ball under the spot it came to rest."...

with this added, it does seem double hit would not be eligible to the penalty. 14-4 and rule 19-2 are separate. Thanks all for your responses.
Can pull this up if my partner pulls this out on me :)

Back