Shoulder Tap Review

This has been an excellent read Maric. Hope to read more feedback on the Wilsons and if you're able to get a better feel for them on the greens. Different ball, but it took me a little bit to get accustomed to the QST on the greens. Eventually it got a lot better.

I think dazeedmonds nailed the explanation.

Update on Wilson Duo Optic balls - I've been using these for about a month now. Still getting good flight and you guys were right about the putting. Once I got used to the sound and the feel of them off the putter my putting improved. Overall these are great balls for me. However I now have a dilemma. A friend gave me some monogramed Callaway Supersoft balls as a gift. So my dilemma is do I continue with the Wilsons or do I start using the Callaways. I'm going to try the Callaways this week and see if I can see the difference. Do you guys always play with just one type of ball?

Also in case you missed it, after testing the REKS I order prescription REKS. Loving these glasses. I've used them mainly for biking, but tried them out on the range Monday. They are my new favorite sunglasses.

Really great job with this thread. I loved how you shared the sleeve with your normal playing partners and incorporated their feedback.

Update on Wilson Duo Optic balls - I've been using these for about a month now. Still getting good flight and you guys were right about the putting. Once I got used to the sound and the feel of them off the putter my putting improved. Overall these are great balls for me. However I now have a dilemma. A friend gave me some monogramed Callaway Supersoft balls as a gift. So my dilemma is do I continue with the Wilsons or do I start using the Callaways. I'm going to try the Callaways this week and see if I can see the difference. Do you guys always play with just one type of ball?

Also in case you missed it, after testing the REKS I order prescription REKS. Loving these glasses. I've used them mainly for biking, but tried them out on the range Monday. They are my new favorite sunglasses.
FWIW my wife greatly prefers the Duo's to the Supersofts. Just sayin'

OK.... for me, that ball is WAY COOL LOOKING! I really like "Wilson Staff" logo. I grew up in the days where Wilson Staff ANYTHING was great stuff...and they're kicking butt today! I also like the color...at least on my monitor. I bet money those glasses allow the eye to really focus on the ball, and maybe the UVC is to counter reflection from a bright color(?).

Just a note, a buddy of mine said Tiger prefers soft balls...I don't know for sure but that's interesting considering how hard he hits.

Give the Supersofts a go. I love em. When I reviewed the Srixon Q Stars last year I played both side by side and (played two balls) and also alternated them on holes. It gives you an opportunity to really pay attention to the attributes that you love and what you don't for each ball. A whole world of choices out there brother (oops, sister). Try them all!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Part 3
Finally got to play with the Wilson balls on a course. I play with a group of women who are new to golf. Some of the women have never played, some are getting back into the game after many years of absence. The group on Wednesday had some of the more experienced golfers of the group. I was the newest player, most had been playing on and off for years. Before we began I gave each of the golfers one of the balls on the condition that they let me know how they liked or disliked them.

Overall the verdict was positive. They really liked the matte finish and how visible they were. They felt they flew higher and farther then the balls they usually played. One player liked the way hers came out of the sand trap. Their only issue was the women felt the balls didn’t perform as well when putting. All would purchase the balls in the future.

My take on the Wilson. I probably had my best game yet (I don’t keep score). I was able to get the ball higher in the air, and even when I had very little loft my distance improved. Between the REKS and the neon color of the ball I was able to follow the flight of my ball and easily find it on the fairway, in the rough and in the trees. Again, they performed well when I was pitching and chipping. I have to agree with the others that I didn’t putt well with them. So, my question is do you putt differently with a low compression ball than you do with a higher compression. Since I have no idea what the compression of my usual balls are I can’t do a real comparison.

I will continue to play with the Wilson balls and update this review in about a month or so.

Thanks THP for this opportunity.

Just a quick note on putting....the color (IMO in my experience) can lead to "ball focus" and, for me, my swing seemed to end earlier. I got over this by looking an inch or two ahead of the ball. BTW I now putt better with yellow balls...don't know why.

Back