Shoulder Tap Review

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Shoulder Tap Review Part 1
I was lucky to receive a THP Shoulder Tap. I asked to delay the shipment of my item to review since I was being forced to go to Las Vegas. When I arrived home from Vegas there was a package waiting for me.
I pondered what it could be before I opened it. It appeared to have 2 parts, a boxy part and a roundish very light section. By the shape I know it was not a club, shaft or grip. The boxy part could be golf balls. The round part feels a little squishy and there is a slight rattle. Can’t figure it out, so I guess I’ll have to open it.
Well, I was right the boxy part was golf balls. Twelve Wilson Staff Duo Optix golf balls. Very good looking in bright yellow with black print. According to the box 29 compression, “The World’sSoftest Distance Ball”

I’m such a beginner – I checked out some reviews and purchase web sites and all the pictures of the balls on those paged show the ball with the number 1 on them. When I opened the first group of mine, they had the number 4 on them. What did that mean? Did I have the demo versions? Prototypes since they had a different number on them from the pictures on the websites? After a google search I found out that they have different numbers on them so players could use the same type ofball and still be able to identify theirs’s. Sure enough I opened all the sleeves and each sleeve had different numbers on them. Most of you guys probably knew this but it was news to me. Gotta love golf, you learn something new every day. I began plotting on how to review them.

So what was in the other part? REXS sunglasses in a case. The slight rattle I heard was the tab from the zipper on the clam shell case. The case is fairly substantial and I suspect that it is probably water resistant. It is a rather large case (needed to accommodate the glasses that don’t fold flat). While this would present a problem when carrying a small purse, putting them in a golf bag pocket would not be an issue.
According to the tag on the glasses they are Polycarbonate optical quality, 10X shatter resistance, Ultra light, UV400, 100% UVA, UVB, UVC, scratch resistant, anti-reflective less glare, hydrophobic keeps lens clean and polarized reduces glare. I’m familiar with most of the terms but had to look up UVC. According to medicinenet.com UVC while being the most dangerous ofultraviolet light cannot penetrate the ozone and therefore is not harmful to humans. Sounds like marketing hype to me,or maybe they are anticipating the failure of the ozone layer. I also looked up hydrophobic which means that water will bead up on the lens. The glasses are made in Taiwan.

The glasses are their Slingblade model with black lenses. The black rubberized frame is very light and the lenses with their cheekbone curve are very nice looking. Very space age.

Since I wasn’t going golfing until Wednesday, I decided to try out the glasses on a bike ride. Quite frankly I loved them! They stayed in place, very light weight and a perfect fit. Even after 7 miles they hadn’t shifted or slid down my nose. I have been known to glow (as in horses sweat, men perspire, women glow) quit a bit on my rides and this was no exception, but the glasses never fogged up or slid around. I like that the sides of my eyes are protected and there is no frame interfering with my line of sight. The glare reduction made it easy to see detail, and my eyes weren’t tired after the ride.

Rain and wind prevented me from testing the balls on a course on Wednesday. Will have to wait until Saturday to play. Part 2 will be written after Saturday. Let me know if you have any questions or want more information.

Attachments

• 1Unopened Box.jpg
    1Unopened Box.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 7Glasses Folded.jpg
    7Glasses Folded.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6Glasses side.jpg
    6Glasses side.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • 4Glasses Case.jpg
    4Glasses Case.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Wilson.jpg
    3Wilson.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Opened Box.jpg
    2Opened Box.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5Glasses Frot.jpg
    5Glasses Frot.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
Niiiice! Awesome shoulder tap package and a fantastic start to your review.

Those glasses are killer!

How fun. Enjoy them.

Awesome tap score! The glasses look and sound great and will be interested in your thoughts on the balls.

Awesome! What a way to start! Good job. Look forward to more of your thoughts.

Nice pick ups on the Shoulder tap! I’ve got a pair of the REKS slingblades myself. I’m big fan of them.

For the balls, when you get out to play them I’m interested in how they track in the air for you. As well as any impressions you get from how the ball reacts around the green.

I've been playing the Duo Optix for a few rounds now, and really like them. I'm a little colorblind, and the bright colors really help me out. I've hit too many shots with plain white that my buddies and I have lost against the sky (it seems like it's a Florida thing). Even when I don't pick it up right off the tee, I can pick it up in flight. The colors have held up pretty well and they are as soft as any golf ball I've hit. Distance seems to be pretty good as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Some great pickups there, enjoy!

Congrats and great write-up. Look forward to further updates.

Congrats!!! Nice pics, enjoy.

Well done. Heard a lot of good things about the REKS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great perspective, looking forward to more thoughts from you.

This is totally me, but I chuckled at “forced to go to Vegas” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job on the early review and congrats on the win!

How bright are those Optix balls if they decided to send sunglasses with them? :act-up:

Nice first part of the write up

How bright are those Optix balls if they decided to send sunglasses with them? :act-up:

Nice first part of the write up

They are bright, almost a neon.

Still too windy to golf today, although a good tailwind would really help my drives. Have to wait until Wednesday to try out the balls. I did use them on my little putting mat, but really didn't see any difference. Might be different on real grass.

Congrats and great early write up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Part 2
Wore the REKS to the golf clinic today. The more I wear these the more I love them. They stayed in place the entire time even when bending over to put the ball on the tee. It was a bright sunny and slightly windy day. Loved the protection that they gave my eyes from the glare and the wind. Over the weekend I lent them to my brother to try out. I was lucky to get them back. I had to remind his twice.
After the golf clinic this morning I went over to the putting green and tried out the Wilson balls. Let me preface this by saying that the balls I usually play with are a Ladies Mix Recycled that I picked up at the PGA Superstore. They are a real mix of brands, Wilson, Top Flight and a couple of brands I have never heard of like Flying Lady and Nitro. The balls had been colored in pinks, yellows and orange. I have no idea what the difference between a men’s and women’s golf ball, it’s something I’ll need to look up. The only visual difference that I could see between the recycled ball and the Wilson was the recycled ball had a glossy finish and the Wilson had a matte finish. Would a different ball make that much of a difference for a beginner?
Anyway, I went to the putting green and putted 6 balls (three Wilson alternating with three recycled). I did this a couple of times from 3 feet, 6 feet and 15 feet. I can’t say that I felt any difference between the two types. Then I chipped from the fringe aiming for different holes. The Wilsons performed significantly better than the recycled balls. I couldn’t believe it and repeated the cycle again. Was I unconsciously changing something in my swing when using the Wilsons? I don’t think so. It will be interesting to see how they perform on the course on Wednesday.

Good stuff Maric. Enjoyed reading the thoughts

I haven't tried the REKS, but would definitely consider them. I concur with duo soft, I had a good experience with chipping them. I'm not sure if it's because they are so bright they are easy to stay focused on and I'm keeping my head down or? I've become a fan of matte finish golf balls in general. Keep up the good work, you're doing a great job with the reviews!

Part 3
Finally got to play with the Wilson balls on a course. I play with a group of women who are new to golf. Some of the women have never played, some are getting back into the game after many years of absence. The group on Wednesday had some of the more experienced golfers of the group. I was the newest player, most had been playing on and off for years. Before we began I gave each of the golfers one of the balls on the condition that they let me know how they liked or disliked them.

Overall the verdict was positive. They really liked the matte finish and how visible they were. They felt they flew higher and farther then the balls they usually played. One player liked the way hers came out of the sand trap. Their only issue was the women felt the balls didn’t perform as well when putting. All would purchase the balls in the future.

My take on the Wilson. I probably had my best game yet (I don’t keep score). I was able to get the ball higher in the air, and even when I had very little loft my distance improved. Between the REKS and the neon color of the ball I was able to follow the flight of my ball and easily find it on the fairway, in the rough and in the trees. Again, they performed well when I was pitching and chipping. I have to agree with the others that I didn’t putt well with them. So, my question is do you putt differently with a low compression ball than you do with a higher compression. Since I have no idea what the compression of my usual balls are I can’t do a real comparison.

I will continue to play with the Wilson balls and update this review in about a month or so.

Thanks THP for this opportunity.

Good feedback! I would say normally you won’t compress the ball enough on a putting stroke for a scientific difference, however, different balls will sound different coming off of the same putter face, and sound = feel. So there can be a difference between balls, at least as far as feel is concerned.

What was the miss with these compared to your normal ball? Long/short/all over the place?

Good feedback! I would say normally you won’t compress the ball enough on a putting stroke for a scientific difference, however, different balls will sound different coming off of the same putter face, and sound = feel. So there can be a difference between balls, at least as far as feel is concerned.

What was the miss with these compared to your normal ball? Long/short/all over the place?

I would say short for the most part, and then I would try and compensate and the ball would fly past the hole. Usually putting is the best part of my game which is why it was so noticeable to me.

I would say short for the most part, and then I would try and compensate and the ball would fly past the hole. Usually putting is the best part of my game which is why it was so noticeable to me.

In my wildly inexpert guess...I’d think a different sound might mess with feel off the putter. Probably something that can be overcome with some practice putting.

Excellent feedback so far by the way!

In my wildly inexpert guess...I’d think a different sound might mess with feel off the putter. Probably something that can be overcome with some practice putting.

Excellent feedback so far by the way!

I totally agree. My feeling on this is that the Wilson's are so soft there is no click off of the putter face only a muted hit. I had to get used to that type of sound when I played the Wilson's.

Back