Re-Shafting a Firesole

Achilles515

Reaction score
Handicap
The old firesoles have a .405 tip, probably going to get an adapter/ferrule from Golfworks. What do you guys think would be the best tip size to put in it? I would think bigger the tip is better but I've read a lot places that a .335 is the best. Thoughts?

Please don't say why I'm reshafting it lol. I know it's old and older tech but I like it.

The tip diameter should be .005 smaller than the hosel bore. Nearly all wood shafts, these days, are .335. Assuming that .405 is the tip diameter; the bore in the Firesole should measure .410. If so; you need a shim that steps up a .335 to .405.

I know I need a shim to make the tip fill the gap, maybe I worded it wrong. What I'm asking is what tip sized shaft would be best to replace it or does it really matter. Should I go .335, .350, .370 etc.

I assumed, perhaps in error, that the club in question is a driver or fairway wood. Aldila is the only company I am aware of that still makes a wood shaft in .350. Hybrid shafts are .370. Iron shafts are .370 (parallel) and .355 (tapered). Also, hybrid and iron shafts are 4-5 inches shorter (raw length) than wood shafts. What type of club, or clubs, are we talking about?

It's a 9.5 offset driver. So what you're saying is I need to get a .350 shaft which only Aldila makes.

Not exactly. You need a wood shaft. Most all new ones are .335. You can get a new .350; but either way you need a shim/sleeve that steps up the tip diameter from .335 to .400 or from .350 to .400.

Back