TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

2cb12a4b0cc0f82588e8dc9c5eee6eb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Here is my updated comparison numbers with the 816 dbd 10.5 / Rogue 70x Rip i/o (78g) since your looking for the big dog...u decide...
This shaft is a hair too stiff for me, also Spine S1 to target (lower smash), but it tames my draw
No weight core up front all lead tape on the rear. Srixon XV 105 compression balls.
The numbers speak...here are some good & not so good shots

Posting this as I think the M1 should have both weights in the rear track like above (cool)...
015_zpsh8k8mgkt.jpg

004_zpsgryi9k65.jpg

Cally numbers look very good here...chime in on yours

Last edited:
M1
b01b6c015ee21df393fa3b8ad71cbf64.jpg

R15
c422c3994fc4d80ec623554ba0389250.jpg

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

R15
c422c3994fc4d80ec623554ba0389250.jpg

What were the two heads set to loft wise? There is a huge launch angle difference between the two. And what caused the 3mph club head difference between the two? Just different swings?

SLDR
a02b2f357415cb93db4950ef64372647.jpg

Umm... 267yds carry + 11yds of roll is 278. Why does it say 291?

If you're getting 291 out of 148 of ball speed, you need to never ever buy another driver ever again. That's insane distance.

M1. Not even close. Won't waste your time with the details.

M1 is money

Umm... 267yds carry + 11yds of roll is 278. Why does it say 291?

If you're getting 291 out of 148 of ball speed, you need to never ever buy another driver ever again. That's insane distance.

All of them are off it looks like. Also, 148 ball speed seems too low for those distances

M1. Not even close. Won't waste your time with the details.

M1 is money

Was that R15 post your best numbers with it? I guess believe whatever you want, but that R15 swing and the M1 swing were not even close to similar. It looks like you hit the R15 way high on the face with the launch angle and how much more spin you put on it.

And to be honest, why post the numbers if you "won't waste your time with the details"? The details you already posted are not similar to each other.

All of them are off it looks like. Also, 148 ball speed seems too low for those distances

It may be, or maybe he lives in elevation in which case he's getting a little more out of all his yardages. Either way, you keep that driver if he's firing out that on the course

More about the comparison numbers than anything else. Not sure why some get caught up on the numbers as if he was comparing it to a different driver he hit 3 weeks ago at a different store

All the postings were the best distance spin results with each head on the same shaft.

I got the best results with the Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff Flex. With all of the clubs.

I posted the best and straightist shots for distance and dispersion.

I forget to mention that the M1 was also the most forgiving.

The best distance dispersion for each club was at the lowest loft settings.

Remember this is average Joe. These were the best swings I was able to get from each club head combo. I guess the M1 give me a more confident feel which resulted in higher speeds.

I swung as hard as I could with each.

The lowest loft for each was 7.5. 8.5. And 10.0.

But the best launch conditions were with the M1 swing after swing after swing.

R15. SLDR. M1.

As close to 10.0 degrees as the sleeve allows.

You guessed it.

M1
8dafeb19da5d5ea6f2b922b08d7c13d3.jpg
d5d3e81dca6c665167ce85ad50c9c102.jpg
b5a067252f228a758c6fac55b5a034ff.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'd take the M1 over the other two, but all 3 look extremely similar on comparable swings (looking at swing speeds and averages). R15 averaged 103.8 SS with 150.5 average ball speed, while M1 was 103.6 SS with 150.3 average ball speed. If the M1 has better dispersion and forgiveness then that is the biggest factor here IMO.

In final conclusion for me this is a significant improvement over the past Taylormade drivers.

A teaching Pro with an average club head speed of over 115 mph ask if he could take a few swings.

His jaw almost hit the floor. He hit one drive on the fly to 318 yards. It stopped at 333 in the rough at the back of the virtual range.

Now remember this was. A Stiff Flex shaft which didn't suit his taste and he had reach a new personal best on the Simulator that evening.

BTW his gamer is a 9.5 degree R15 set to 7.5 degrees.

He stated he normally tops out at 300 to 305 on the fly carrying yardage on these Sims.

Hate to break the news but the M1 is for reals.

Jason Day wasn't lying about being the envy in the club house with his driving distances.

I'll be out for a daybreak round to see if the simulation holds up on the golf course.

Please keep your seat belts fastened. It's going to be a hell of a ride if I'm hitting my personal best on my familiar track.

More about the comparison numbers than anything else. Not sure why some get caught up on the numbers as if he was comparing it to a different driver he hit 3 weeks ago at a different store

Why post the numbers then if they are irrelevant? Not getting caught up in anything IMO. Just analyzing the data provided. To me, looking at the numbers, there really isn't much difference if at all between the heads tested. But translate them or disregard them as you see fit.

FWIW, I think the M1 is a very good driver and would be a 1b choice for me. But I just don't see any difference between what was posted.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take the M1 over the other two, but all 3 look extremely similar on comparable swings (looking at swing speeds and averages). R15 averaged 103.8 SS with 150.5 average ball speed, while M1 was 103.6 SS with 150.3 average ball speed. If the M1 has better dispersion and forgiveness then that is the biggest factor here IMO.
I deleted almost every other swing with the SLDR and the R15. The M1 was the only one that you get the first three swings in a row.

This was also with the front track at neutral and the central track all the way up to the front. So in reality there was still a bit of forgiveness left in the tank.

But when I just went for the best performance the prior numbers were obtained. By decreasing the loft to 7.5 instead of 10.25 I was able to significantly improve my launch conditions and beat the two other clubs by almost 20 yards.

Guess where the club will be setup tomorrow.

So I tried to be a Mr. Robot and saved three similar swings in order to compare club head to club head. Not the Average Joe hacker who rarely makes the same swing twice in a row.

The difference between each were not a significant but the forgiveness and pleasant feeling at address was priceless.

Remember I was comparing a club that had just fallen off the truck at my door steps this afternoon to a pair of clubs I had gamed for 6 to 18 months.

The M1 had a clear disadvantage but rose to the occasion like a champion.

Cheers Taylormade.

Mission accomplished.

Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves for next year.

I once asked the Pro about the static smash factor and his reply was as follows. The smash factor is a constant. The monitor is actually only reading ball speed and spin during most practice session.

But ultimately they are what they are. With a constant smash factor the results are less influenced by the quality and faults of my swing and purely a result of what the club head is doing to the ball.

If I post my opinion it is often not sufficient. If I post numbers they are questions about accuracy.

But since this was a limited experiment done during the same day. Same hacker. Same monitor. It is not the absolute numbers but their relative differences which support my conclusion.

For me. For my swing pimples and blemishes and all. The M1 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff Flex shaft was a good match.

It suits my swing better than my other drivers.

I'm extremely happy to have a better club in my bag to improve my game.

In the end that's all this is all about.

Are you carrying the best equipment for your game. Your swing. Your personal performance

I'm found mine.

I encourage everyone to get fit. Try as many clubs as you can. And increase your enjoyment and lower your scores.

The M1 was worth it for me.

Hopefully everyone has the chance to find their perfect match.

With so many choices from so many different Brands. He who seeks will find.

Out of curiosity, is there genuine value in getting numbers like this when smash factor is a static number?

Out of curiosity, is there genuine value in getting numbers like this when smash factor is a static number?
Answer above with your quote

Cheers

I'm glad you're happy dude!! just an observation as you post your numbers.

Can't wait to hear how it performs on course for you!
No worries mate

Back