Do you use movie reviews before you go?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m not one that reads reviews before going to a movie. I know what I like and what I want to see. I don’t want someone else opinion clouding my judgement. What about you? Are you one that needs a positive review in ordered to see a flick?

I'm with you on this topic but it wouldn't surprise me that we'll be in the minority.

I look at general ratings to make sure something isn't a total turd.

I do not check reviews before seeing a movie. If I think a movie is a total turd I might check after to see if others feel the same way, or if I just missed "it".

I do not read reviews but my wife does.

Nope, if a movie looks good to me based on the previews and what the movie is about then i'll go see whether or not it gets great reviews. Like most things nowadays agenda or bias towards certain genres influences reviews. Seeing as Sox Fan posted above me i'll use him as an example. I know he hates sci-fi movies and if he had to go see it probably wouldn't get the greatest review from him. Not saying that's bad, it's just not something he likes or is into. I on the other hand love sci-fi so without it I know I would have a different feeling about it. Nobody knows what I like better than me so I just go with that. Even if a movie is getting terrible reviews if i think i'd be interested then i'm still going to see it.

I may look at the reviews but don't base my opinion on them. I have seen plenty of movies that had poor reviews that I thought were great.

The internet is usually really loud on both ends of the spectrum on any opinion so for me I will largely ignore reviews

Sometimes but if my mind is set on seeing something I’ll ignore a review good or bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never.

Though I am one who can still really like a movie regardless of what anyone says. some movies are terrible and should never have been made, but some movies I really enjoy just for the entertainment value.

But I never look at reviews at all. I will watch a trailer but thats about it.

I like to know as little as possible before seeing a film, reading a book, et cetera.

I never do. At home, if I am searching for something to watch, we will quite often watch something deemed terrible, just to see what we thought of it.

Sometimes I'll give Rotten Tomatoes a quick look, but if it's something I really want to see I don't really care about reviews. I've found it easier to enjoy movies if I don't look at anything beforehand!

Not really. My tastes may be completely different than others so I don't put to much in to it.

If we're going to a new release and paying full price, then we usually check Rotten Tomatoes. We only care about the audience score. We also have a cheap theater ($3) nearby and will just pick a movie when we arrive. This is my preferred location for seeing movies.

I always look up what rating a movie gets on Rotten Tomatoes. Theyre usually pretty spot on of whether a movie is good or bad. Some movies though I know that I want to see, even though I know they arent great movies and probably wont get a great rating.
A lot of movies though, if the trailer looks cool and RT gives them a 30%, you can bet that its probably not good. One example that I can think of is 47 Ronin. The trailers looked so cool and as someone who is a samurai fan, I really wanted to see it but when RT gave it a 15%, I waited until it was on OnDemand and they were right, it wasnt good.

I like to use Rotten Tomatoes as my reference point.

I look at the local paper for their weekly reviews but only to weed out the stinkers. Word of mouth plays the biggest factor in determining if I spend money on a film.

I’m happy with waiting for a film to show up on Netflix or Prime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Typically we only go to the movies when we hear very good things about a film (friends, TV reviews) and also if it is one of those films that you must see on the big screen. Otherwise I'd rather save the $40 and watch at home and if it is a stinker, just turn the channel or turn on another movie.

Nope

#FiberLaunch

Not to decide if I will go see it. Once I saw the preview for the new Death Wish I had to go watch it. Went and saw it yesterday and enjoyed the heck out of it. Do I think it is a "good movie"? Not really but it was entertaining for me.

EDIT: Just checked rotten tomatoes and Death wish has 15% by the critics, 84% from the Audience....

I like to read reviews of movies just like I like to read reviews of golf equipment, cars etc.

I'll check Rotten Tomatoes, but I give more weight to the audience ratings than the critics.

I think Rotten Tomatoes generally is pretty spot on, but I have enjoyed a terrible movie from time to time.

Yes, I check the reviews - rottentomatoes and critics I respect. That does not mean it needs a 80/100 before I go - but I check out the trailers and read comments.

Back