Suggestions on shaft weight for reshaft

WCJJ

Reaction score
Handicap
I need some help on choosing some new shafts for my irons, so a little background first. I'm 62 years old and started playing when I was about 8 and continued until I quit at the age of 48 due to some back problems and other interests. For most of those years I had anywhere from a 2-4 handicap and a fairly solid game. I retired a couple of years ago and decided to start playing again this past summer. I quickly found out I had lost about 20-25 yards off my irons and about 30-40 off my drives.
I have a set of Top Flite Tour irons i purchased new back in the 90's that have Dynalite Gold S300 shafts. I've always hit them fairly well but with my loss of swingspeed now as compared to 14 years ago I figured I probably need a lighter shaft in a regular flex. This leads me to my question on reshafting.
I just purchased a used set of TM Speedblades that I thought were going to have XP 95 shafts but once I got them they had Dynamic Gold XP regular shafts. I could have sent them back but decided to keep them and if necessary just reshaft them. From specs that I can find these DG XP's are 116 grams. The Dynalites in my Top Flites are slightly heavier from what I can find but these Speedblades seem really heavy as compared to the Top Flites. Hence my thinking about reshafting the Speedblades.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what shafts I might consider.
I hit my Top Flite 7 iron about 135-140. I have a high straight ball flight. I do hit the Speedblades about 5-10 yards further but they just don't feel comfortable to me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lightweight graphite would be my suggestion. Much easier on the joints and muscles than steel also.

The feeling of ‘heaviness’ can sometimes be more than just shaft weight. The overall swingweight of the club matters too. Think of a branch with a piece of fruit on the end. A heavier piece of fruit will make the branch bend more than a lighter piece. Shafts work the same way.

You will most likely benefit from a lighter weight graphite shaft as the last post says, but finding the correct shaft for you and getting the clubs to the right specs is more than just a reshafting.

I would encourage you to find a qualified fitter, one who is brand agnostic, who can find the best shaft for your swing. There are many options, and some may be right in theory, but only by hitting them with someone who can interpret the data is the only sure way to get the proper shaft.

For transparency sake I am a certified fitter with Club Champion in Los Angeles.

Thank you both for replying. I agree a shaft fitting would probably be best but any place i wouId have any confidence in is not very convenient and 2 hours away. I may end up doing that since I know it's the smart thing to do.
I really had not even considered going with graphite shafts. It would seem like a big jump from what I'm use to though. I was in a Dicks store yesterday and looked at several different clubs. Almost all had anywhere from 85-105 gram shafts. The difference in feel of the same club with a 105 and a 95 gram shaft was surprisingly very obvious. The 95 gram shafts felt best to me. The 105 seemed a little too heavy. Thanks again for the replies.

Back