The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically haven't spent a lot of time in this thread. That's about to change in 2016.

Just sayin.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Set your goals, Come up with a plan. Practice with a purpose. But have fun with it.

Set your goals, Come up with a plan. Practice with a purpose. But have fun with it.
Sounds like a solid blueprint. Do you build things or something

I'm playing tomorrow and hadn't swung a club since Mexico (over a week ago). Went out to the range and fear that I used up all of my good swings, I had a very good range session!

Started out pitching/chipping from 15, 25, 35 & 45 yards. Used my 54/58 and was trying to hit high/low shots on command. My short game has been hot garbage and I focused on turning my shoulders on the back swing and following through high/low depending on the shot. Had a few mishits but the majority were perfect, excited to get it into play tomorrow.

The full swing was pretty darn good as well. I've been bad on the range lately but decent at the course, I'm hoping the good range session doesn't reverse that tomorrow. It sure felt great to get out and swing (despite the 35 degrees)!

Got to the range last night for RR prep in the rain- luckily it is covered! Was working on working the ball with my irons some. Draw is pretty easy, but the small fade, though a bit tougher, is coming around. Slightly open stance, ball a bit forward of center, no hard release. Getting better! So important to be able to do this to take a lot of trouble out of play. Need help with the driver, but I'm going to get professional help to straighten that out!

Spent about 90 minutes putting today, mostly worked on lag putting drills.

4 hours of practice today. Very productive day, but I'm tired now.

1 hour of wedge work from 30-120 yards.
1 hour of random practice using every club in the bag.
1 hour of chipping practice using 9-SW.
1 hour of putting practice.

I stopped by the range on the way home.

PW and 5 iron. Mostly just to get some reps in, and see how the back would feel after a large bucket.

Swing was a little off, some fatties were noted.

With the PW I worked full swing down to 100 yard delighted shots. Controlling distances with my scoring irons will continue to be an emphasis for the near future.

Full 5 irons felt good physically, but the confidence that my body will be ok is a little shaken.

No pain or stiffness after so a good session. Soon I'll take the bog dog out and let it rip.

I had a much better range session today than last time. I made an adjustment to my takeaway and saw a huge difference in trajectory - the two way miss was not nearly as prevalent, replaced by more straight/draw ball flights. Distances are impossible to really tell right now with really cold weather and range balls like rocks, so no worries about anything on that front. I tried to head over to the short game area but it was closed due to the cold temps.

Spent about an hour and a half at the range and on the chipping green today. Hit 60ish balls on the range, with primarily 6-wedge to get my accuracy dialed in and then spent the remainder of the time hitting pitches from all sorts of lies -especially some downhill stuff that has been giving me a little trouble lately. All in all, very productive.

Ranges closed here but I've been rolling putts indoors for about 25 minutes each day the last few days. Just getting used to the feel of my new putter and working on keeping a nice smooth swing throughout. I've also been working on picking a line and then concentrating 100 percent on speed after I have the line. No second guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious practice session today. 20 & 25 yd pitch shots, 15yd chips, 5yd chips, chips from the desert (a first for me) to see what kind of shot I can hit out of the junk. Bunker shots, concentrating on 25 ft carry.
Then hit the range - gap wedge alignment, noticed that I am hitting the ground before the ball, concentrating on hitting ball first. Then the same w 9i. After, 3h and a few 4i to see distance differences.
Putting - started w 3 ft to small hole, then putted around the green for distance control on longer uphill and downhill putts.
3hrs of practice. Committing to short game improvement.

So, played at a different course than usual today and whole warming up on the range the club pro was out there and saw my bag stuffed to the gills and had to ask about it. Well after blowing his mind about THP, writing, and #TheGrandaddy he asks if he can give me some advice.

Turns out he noticed that on my practice swings I get my weight shifted properly from back to front and the club is much more in the slot because of it, then over the ball with the long clubs I'm going through the motions of shifting, but my weight is staying mostly on my front the whole way.

Suffice to say I hit the ball much more consistent all day off the tees. Driver was still iffy as I fell into that habit I've developed a couple times but 3w was lethal.

I'm excited again, that's a big deal.

So, played at a different course than usual today and whole warming up on the range the club pro was out there and saw my bag stuffed to the gills and had to ask about it. Well after blowing his mind about THP, writing, and #TheGrandaddy he asks if he can give me some advice.

Turns out he noticed that on my practice swings I get my weight shifted properly from back to front and the club is much more in the slot because of it, then over the ball with the long clubs I'm going through the motions of shifting, but my weight is staying mostly on my front the whole way.

Suffice to say I hit the ball much more consistent all day off the tees. Driver was still iffy as I fell into that habit I've developed a couple times but 3w was lethal.

I'm excited again, that's a big deal.
Don't you just love that tip that frees up the switch.

Putting practice outside hotel.
616176f12bc579db4b96b69ed2502724.jpg

Went to the simulator yesterday. Everything but my wedges is decent. I am really struggling with any shot other than a ~30 foot pitch. If the simulator is to be believed I picked up a few mph on my swing speed which isn't too surprising as my massive over the top swing is now only slightly over the top and getting better as the days go by. I am making unbelievable contact with my irons and hybrid though. I've generally hit my hybrid well as some people I've played with here have seen, but its even better at the moment.

I had a great lesson yesterday. Fixed a setup issue, a takeaway issue and got on a better path. My ball flight was straightened out (worked with 8i and driver). Driver SS went from @96/97 to 102/103. Total elapsed time: 45 minutes.

Got to the range today for some practice. Focused on hitting just hitting PW through 7 irons, while mixing in some chipping between full swings.

Was catching the ball a little low on the face early and I think it was a product of being too quick. Worked on slowing my tempo down just a touch and the ball striking improved. All in all a decent range session today.

Hit the short game area today. Bunkers, green side chips from tight lies and from rough (to elevated green). Then 30yd & 40yd shots, and finished w putting. It was ridiculously windy (balls were being blown around the putting green) so just worked on distance.

While this wasnt on the range, it is something that I had been working to find again on the range that I had been struggling with.

I used to be able to hit a beauty of a knockdown shot from 100-125 yards with pretty great accuracy and a ton of spin for a hop and stop, well, with some time off, that shot decided it didnt want to be friends with me anymore.

During my round, I was sitting at 120, and took my AW and put it back of my stance and absolutely stuck it. It was like something just clicked with the stance, ball position and swing. Was able to hit the same shot at varying distances with my 58* 54* and AW.

This shot back in the bag has me giddy about getting my game back on track, and this one will be worked on the range this week.

Hitting wedge shots at the range has become my favorite form of meditation.

I've probably averaged a large bucket a day for the last month...

My mind goes virtually blank, and I have not a thought in the world. The swing almost goes into auto pilot mode.

Haven't been able to play or practice of any kind in almost 2 weeks. It's like my soul is dying lol

Got some work in this morning during a conference call.
Worked on ball contact and making a turn.
Also tried with varying success swinging with the inside approach training aid.
Have to rid myself of my OTT tendencies!

Went out late yesterday afternoon and chipped for 15 minutes - of course, it was 33' degrees, so to say feel was "great" would be an untruth. Heading to the heated range tonight. It will still be cold, but that's what layers are for!

Went out with the new irons yesterday and hit about 30 balls.

Working on a few things. But mainly getting the feel for the new clubs.

Oh and this won't stop me from going back out today. Well I'll wait until the front is gone.

Don't want to make enemies with the super ?
d7c9dfe87767f2015abe17ad667ab208.jpg
f8eb4b81586a59aee3f066c791aade37.jpg

Due to weather being a touch on the freezing side and still getting over a cold been putting in the house using the putting professor. Looks like a break in weather on sat so will try to squeeze in some swing work but may just end up spending 1/2 on short game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back