PING i Irons: THP Review Thread

I was hoping you would chime in on this Jman, I know you put them and all the clubs you test through the paces. I carry and my habit since my old caddying days is to have my right hand on my irons so they don't make noise.

I put up a seperate thread on the subject. I don't know what I'd expect them to do... I think its a defect like some of the PVD on the vapors. I sent the guy I talked to another email to see if I could speak to someone else so I'll keep updating the other thread regarding the issue.

Like I said, chatter I expect...not scratches like that. They should have went with NO finish on the back if that was going to happen.

I hope you get more info/news from someone higher up the change, because though I do believe by the pics it is wear based on how the clubs were rubbing, its still strange as hell IMO.

Good news, I'll post in my other thread but for anyone only browsing THIS thread, Ping came through. I stopped over at Golfsmith and taked to the people in there and they agreed there was a problem, not bag chatter. They tended to think it was whoever at Ping bent them because of the pattern and where it was in the channel on ALL trhe irons.

Anyway, I got back out to the car and called the rep who had just sent me an email. I talked to him and he said they will take care of it...what they will do, and even Golfsmith mentioned it, is bead blast the cavity and the back of the club to get rid of the finish. I'd rather that look anyway to be honest. I mentioned in my email that if that was normal then maybe no finish at all would be the way to go.

He still said bag chatter, I'm not going to bother arguing... especially since they are fixing it. He also said my clubs may have only got a thin coat in the cavities instead of what they were supposed to get. So he said when I'm done with them for the winter to just send them back in. No charge either!

Thank you Ping!

That's awesome dude!!

Sounds to me Jman like the thin coating and the bending action did it. The tech probably had everything set up right and either never checked the cavities or thought they came in like that because its never happened before. Had the pads on the clamp ok but the coating was too thin. My next step would have been to send in pictures of ALL the irons. The 4,5 and 6 had the same pattern scratch but either one or two scratches...they were so close to the CTP that nothing could get down in there, let alone something with enough force to cause a scratch...that looked identical to the other scratches.

I'll be sure to post pictures in a moth or so when I send them down there to be bead blasted.

Great news! I'm glad that Ping came through in the end.

Good to here they are going to take care of you. Based on the picture, I was going to take them off my "to hit list". They are now back on.

Good to here they are going to take care of you. Based on the picture, I was going to take them off my "to hit list". They are now back on.

Yeah, they are great clubs...it would be a shame to miss out on such a great iron because of that.

PING wins the award for fastest turn around time ever. Ordered my set on Sunday and they were shipped out today and will be in my hands on Thursday!

I would never "take any iron off my to hit list" based on a singular poor experience. I believe that has been the only negative post in this entire review thread. Anyhow, I'm happy PING is taking care of the cavity back finish and let us know what you think after demoing these irons.

I hit these bad boys today on lunch break... goodness, they are really freaking good.

Hit them with the Modus and the CFS Distance. Enjoyed both of them.

These are still on my mind for my next set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit these bad boys today on lunch break... goodness, they are really freaking good.

Hit them with the Modus and the CFS Distance. Enjoyed both of them.

Now that is a club guy. Testing out new irons, before the ones he got in his bag are even released to the public. :D

Now that is a club guy. Testing out new irons, before the ones he got in his bag are even released to the public. :D

HAHA! I mean, I cannot pass up a good opportunity to hit them. It was hard not bringing home with me... HA!

After 3 month I just can say: I love them :good:

Yes,

new driver, FW wood, hybrid and wedges. Ended up doing a full bag review.
Where did you go to get this done?

I need a fitting with these... I miss my i20s, but I can't lose a club length and toe forgiveness.

Club Champion in Plano, TX (just north of Dallas). I played that setup yesterday, still really like these irons and fairway wood.

You've played a bunch of irons. Have the distances held-up? As forgiving or more than others you've had?

You've played a bunch of irons. Have the distances held-up? As forgiving or more than others you've had?

All things being equal I'd say in the combo with steel fibers they are about 3 yards longer then almost everything else I've played this year. That is supported by Arccos. For me the main benefit is the consistency which come from better turf interaction.

Question ... my last Pings were i/3+ and I played with them for several years. Loved them but had a chance to get Rocketbladez on the cheap a few years ago when they came out so I switched. Now have the itch to get back into Pings but haven't kept up with all their offerings -- would the new i's be the way to go or are there other Pings I should look at too?

Question ... my last Pings were i/3+ and I played with them for several years. Loved them but had a chance to get Rocketbladez on the cheap a few years ago when they came out so I switched. Now have the itch to get back into Pings but haven't kept up with all their offerings -- would the new i's be the way to go or are there other Pings I should look at too?

The new Ping G irons were just announced today so you may want to give them a go.

Not sure exactly what your looking for but the s55's are very nice but I'm biased. THP also has the latest g series previews up today.

Went and got a fitting for these yesterday and am very very tempted I must say. Loved the way they felt off the face as well as the sound at contact. Hard to tell about yardage here in England as it's so freaking cold at the moment but they looked as long as my current Rocketbladez in the air.

Tried the JPX 850 Forged too but the dispersion was better with the Ping.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Went and got a fitting for these yesterday and am very very tempted I must say. Loved the way they felt off the face as well as the sound at contact. Hard to tell about yardage here in England as it's so freaking cold at the moment but they looked as long as my current Rocketbladez in the air.

Tried the JPX 850 Forged too but the dispersion was better with the Ping.

Enjoy your new Pings!!!

Purchase made.... 4 days until delivery. It is going to feel like a lot longer!

Back