Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Didn't have my swing, but when I did make contact, it was effortless. Although I think I'll be cutting down the shaft to 43" for consistency and lower sw

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Goofed off for 9 holes yesterday, with the Mini as the sole driver in the bag. Played back a tee box (6900 yds) than where I usually play. Windy - in a weird direction for my course. Not used to playing in that direction wind.

Hit a few really great shots - First tee shot was on a rope to the left fairway, never found the ball. #2 tee shot was in my "usual" landing area (428 hole, I was 185 out). Pull hook on #4.
On 5, I hit a towering drive with a touch of draw - was further forward than I usually am from the tee box more forward (425 yd hole, I was 165 out). #7, into the wind, I hit a mid-high shot dead straight, no movement off its line, about 245 yds. On #9, into the wind, the ball went 230 yds. This one seemed to balloon on me - which is a first.

Other than #4, all were good swings, very close to my target, and really nice distance!

I may need to try some other Callaway drivers in the future, but this club, for where I am right now, is flat MONEY!

When I remember to tee this club up a touch higher, it's a freaking beast off the tee. Have hit it a few times off the deck too with decent success (although in a competition I probably would not hit it that way).

When I remember to tee this club up a touch higher, it's a freaking beast off the tee. Have hit it a few times off the deck too with decent success (although in a competition I probably would not hit it that way).
I have not hit a shot off the deck on the course, but had pretty good success with shots on the driving range.
I use the short Epoch tee with this club - I don't like teeing it up high at all. Just about a finger's thickness under the tee.

I have not hit a shot off the deck on the course, but had pretty good success with shots on the driving range.
I use the short Epoch tee with this club - I don't like teeing it up high at all. Just about a finger's thickness under the tee.

That's a good way of putting it. It took me a little while to figure it out, but I've found that I need to tee it up slightly higher than a normal 3w.

I don't normally tee it up higher than the turf, I guess I better start doing that.

Hit the club a few times off the deck, definitely easy to hit when I can put a good swing on it while wearing full on blizzard gear.

Ha I have just started to do the same. Has helped me really dial in the height for the tee box. Hardest part for me with this club was dialing in the tee height. Been in my bag for almost a year and will not come out. I have always hit a 3w pretty solid and moved to the 3Deep which was great. This is even better.

Thinking about replacing my sldr mini with this, but need took and hit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out today for a round after work. It was super windy and with no warmup I was struggling with the driver and went exclusively to the Mini. Had a few bad swings with the Mini, but the misses were in play whereas I think I would have been in trouble with the driver.

Got out today for a round after work. It was super windy and with no warmup I was struggling with the driver and went exclusively to the Mini. Had a few bad swings with the Mini, but the misses were in play whereas I think I would have been in trouble with the driver.
You find that the Mini works when the driver swing just isnt there?

I have personally. My driver left me this past fall and the mini was a game saver

I agree - for the most part, the mini misses are in better shape than the driver misses.

Interesting question. I'm using the same swing, so it should work on both clubs, right? Yesterday it was a case of me not having time to warm up, struggling early, and losing confidence in the driver. It's nice having the Mini in the bag as a backup option when the driver fails but I still need to get it out there, especially on a course where you have to be accurate.

I missed out on one on CPO with my driver shaft in it a few months back. Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger.

Having gone through some driver woes for quite a while, and trying the shortened driver thing for a month or so, I decided to grab a Mini (Speeder shaft) off the MP and boy am I glad I did.
Pretty much went full bore on it and took the driver(s) out of my bag so I HAD to use this today. Using my normal driver swing, figuring as much time as I'd spent on shorty drivers lately, that would be the best way to go, I hit the range and promptly set it to +1/N (13°). I only mishit a couple and was stoked to get on the course. To cut it short, I only had one bad result and it was entirely my fault, so really, it was pretty much 100% effective for me.
I was getting stupid rollout and was easily hitting past any driver I've hit the last year-plus. We've played the course we did today quite a bit in the last few months, and I was most definitely hitting second shots from places I wasn't used to playing from. I made the front of a par 5 with the Mini and a 4H. There's one downhill tee shot that I can absolutely tell you I was never that far down the hill before. Ever. The feel of the Speeder is solid and I felt trust in in all day.
I'm going to enjoy going a few more rounds with this, and only this, in my bag for the tee box.

Got this bad boy out today - 12* speeder stiff shaft.

13/14 FIR, only miss was a pull left that bounced in the FW and into the desert.

Great club - long, straight, forgiving, consistent.

Last edited:

Had a hit with a 12* set at 11* (found 11* was longer than 12 13 & 14 degrees) with a R flex Speeder shaft and was getting the same distance (220 yards) as my 12* driver with an A flex shaft@44". I would have liked to try it with an A flex shaft but they didn't have one in stock I might get a bit more distance as my swing speed was averaging 80mph probably a bit slow for a R flex shaft. Has anyone tried one that has a similar swing speed as me and what was the best flex for them.

Last edited:

Had a hit with a 12* set at 11* (found 11* was longer than 12 13 & 14 degrees) with a R flex Speeder shaft and was getting the same distance (220 yards) as my 12* driver with an A flex shaft@44". I would have liked to try it with an A flex shaft but they didn't have one in stock I might get a bit more distance as my swing speed was averaging 80mph probably a bit slow for a R flex shaft. Has anyone tried one that has a similar swing speed as me and what was the best flex for them.

Just hit the Taylormade Aeroburner Mini Driver 12* in R flex and it was 20 yards shorter than the Callaway 1.5 Mini I didn't think there would be that much difference.

Depending on the shaft length and setup the distances could vary. did you hit them back to back, if not the simulators are not always reliable in distances.

Depending on the shaft length and setup the distances could vary. did you hit them back to back, if not the simulators are not always reliable in distances.

Yep back to back the Aeroburner was 43.5" the Big Bertha was 44"

Yep back to back the Aeroburner was 43.5" the Big Bertha was 44"

I have the mini and had the aero burner at one time. The aero burner was a solid mini driver but it was shorter than the Bertha.

I have the mini and had the aero burner at one time. The aero burner was a solid mini driver but it was shorter than the Bertha.

I actually had my Cleveland 588 15.5* 3 wood there also and the Cleveland was 10 yards longer than the Aeroburner and 10 yards shorter than the Mini. The 588's are very underrated I'm pondering whether to get a 14* Cleveland 588 unfortunately I can't try one as there are none in Australia but I can get one online from the UK.

I actually had my Cleveland 588 15.5* 3 wood there also and the Cleveland was 10 yards longer than the Aeroburner and 10 yards shorter than the Mini. The 588's are very underrated I'm pondering whether to get a 14* Cleveland 588 unfortunately I can't try one as there are none in Australia but I can get one online from the UK.

There are so many solid options on the market. It's hard to know what to place in the bag. But I know the mini was the head of its class. Now the XR16 14* Pro may be better than the mini.

I play short muni (6100 yards) just around the corner 1-2 evenings a month with an 8 club carry bag and the 14 deg fills the driver shot nicely. Though short, the course requires very precise placement on many of the par 4s. I'll net 235-255 with the mini which fits these holes perfectly.

Back