Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

I think if you gave the 816 a chance you wouldnt think twice about the 815
This is interesting. I hit the 815 extremely well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OK so I finally got this bad boy reshafted with this limited edition Grandaddy shaft.
c24660fb3d908f70390a7b6340c2252a.jpg
dcd10272706f0fb1cbae4660fd53b7cf.jpg
cf2e73d7a4c5cc37d0191de532df900d.jpg

I hit it in the indoor simulators yesterday. Took some getting used to because I haven't played a 3 wood in two years but man it is LONG. I hit a couple absolute missiles and it feels amazing off the face. It is so solid and had a great sound. I lofted up to 16* with the 16 g weight in the back and may have found my new favorite club! So glad i bought this thing and cannot wait to get on the course.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm not kidding when I say this, the 816 14* fairway is every bit as long if not longer than any driver I've had before. Just silly how long it is

I honestly could not believe how long it was even lofted up to 16*...I mean I know it was in the simulator but I seriously hit some in there that were 285 yards haha
I'm not kidding when I say this, the 816 14* fairway is every bit as long if not longer than any driver I've had before. Just silly how long it is

I honestly could not believe how long it was even lofted up to 16*...I mean I know it was in the simulator but I seriously hit some in there that were 285 yards haha

I had a couple that far and a little further in Cali. I even had the caddy step a couple of them off because we were both amazed at how far they were

Haha this is great! I can't wait till this stupid snow melts!
I had a couple that far and a little further in Cali. I even had the caddy step a couple of them off because we were both amazed at how far they were

Got my new 16 degree with the white tie last night, and just took it to the range. Club really came alive for me with this shaft. Was getting a mid launch now (I'm never going to be a high ball hitter) with just bullets that are going to roll for a long time after they hit. Had my SC100 with me, and i was getting ball speeds that were almost as fast as my driver. Ridiculous. This club is just a monster. Cant wait to actually get it onto the course. Need some more practice with it to get more consistent, but a ton of potential.

All I can say is if Tpluff ever gets a different 3 wood than this one he is nuts. Watched him absolutely pummel this thing today. Long and dead straight. Unfortunately I never got to hit mine today. Opportunity never really presented itself. Next round for sure.

All I can say is if Tpluff ever gets a different 3 wood than this one he is nuts. Watched him absolutely pummel this thing today. Long and dead straight. Unfortunately I never got to hit mine today. Opportunity never really presented itself. Next round for sure.
I mean, yeah, it was SOLID for me today. And the thing is, it's been that way from swing 1. Not sure what it is but off the tee it's solid option for me if driver isn't a necessity but fairway is. Can't wait to get a full season with this.

Ordered one of these today. Will get it in one week.

Ordered one of these today. Will get it in one week.

NICE!!!! I think you will love it. Truly a FILTHY good club.

Just traded in my 815 14* for an 816 14* yesterday. Hoping the rain will pass so I can get it out on the range today. It was very good on the sim.

I've got an 816 alpha fairway set up with a HZRDUS Yellow 75x and I am extremely excited to see how that pairing performs for me.

Not only does it set up well at address, the yellow shaft looks insaaaaaaaaane! Can't wait to see how it differs from the 815 and XR 16 pro.

Got to hit one at Edwin Watts yesterday. The first 4 hits were low, straight, and carried 220/225 with total distance 250/260. I noticed that the heavier weight was forward.
Switched it to the back and the flight increased along with the carry. Carry 235/240 with distance 245/250.
I may have found my driver for windy days. Hit it low and let it run down the middle of the fairways.

Anyone hit this club and the Cobra LTD and/or Cobra F6? Feel, launch, forgiveness, stock shaft comparisons?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The 3 wood and 5 wood were all stars today. Got home from 250 with the 5 wood on a day that conditions were less than ideal for getting a lot of run out. And I hit some really beautiful shots with the 3 wood. Just crazy how fun these fairway woods are to hit

Compared to the 815, the 816 is just so much better. I got a few swings with mine on the range Friday and immediately loved it (had only hit it on the sim before). It is much easier to hit off the deck than the 815, and has a great trajectory. Really happy I made the trade.

Compared to the 815, the 816 is just so much better. I got a few swings with mine on the range Friday and immediately loved it (had only hit it on the sim before). It is much easier to hit off the deck than the 815, and has a great trajectory. Really happy I made the trade.
This sounds encouraging. Mine should be here by the end of the week. !!!!!!

Favorite fairway wood EVER.

Favorite fairway wood EVER.

That is saying a lot with you have 70,000 plus posts. Wow! Ever hit the King Lts 3/4 wood?

That is saying a lot with you have 70,000 plus posts. Wow! Ever hit the King Lts 3/4 wood?
I've been fortunate enough to try and review a lot of fairways for sure.

I have, its solid, and imo the 0 CG aspect makes it the more effective club of the LTD line.

This though is incredible for flight and playability. I do think many are scared away by the 816 moniker (I was until my fitter at the ECPC didn't give me a choice but to go with this one). Its incredible, and MOI for days with the heavy weight back.

I have, its solid, and imo the 0 CG aspect makes it the more effective club of the LTD line.

This though is incredible for flight and playability. I do think many are scared away by the 816 moniker (I was until my fitter at the ECPC didn't give me a choice but to go with this one). Its incredible, and MOI for days with the heavy weight back.

After seeing the 815s, I didn't even consider this one until I saw it in ddec's bag. I'm glad they went to a profile that's a bit more playable for more people - last year's were TINY.

One of the courses in town just opened up today... gave me an excuse to slap on a couple new grips for the alpha 816 and apex 2h. Man, this equipment has me more excited for the upcoming season than I have been in a long time.
4a36bb54b7147fc62147bcba34fbd870.jpg

Thanks. I love the LTD driver and demo'd both the Ltd and 816 fairways. The 816 seemed to be a beast, but the Ltd felt better. I am still torn and will demo each again.

Thanks. I love the LTD driver and demo'd both the Ltd and 816 fairways. The 816 seemed to be a beast, but the Ltd felt better. I am still torn and will demo each again.

I haven't tried the LTD, but I can't imagine a better feeling fairway than the 816

I haven't tried the LTD, but I can't imagine a better feeling fairway than the 816
My sentiments echo this. I'm considering getting another 816 16* because I know I love it and will want it for a long time.

Back