Golf attire thoughts

I am just curious as to what others think on this subject so here goes...

A while back at my local course I was walking up to the 7th green which is next to the 2nd tee box and I notice a guy in jeans and cut off sleeves about to tee off on #2. I know the course rules state proper golf attire required (khakis and polo ect) at all times and I have to be honest because it did bug me a bit. I didn't call into the clubhouse or anything like that but I did mention it after the round and they apologized that they missed it to which I wondered how could you not cause it stood out like a sore thumb to me. The course isn't a pubic metro type course where I would expect to see jeans and such but I kinda think if you are going to play golf then you should try and dress the part as much as you can.

Do you believe that folks should always dress the part when playing or could you care less if you see people playing in jeans and such?

Makes not a particle of difference to me as long as they are within whatever policy the course sets. I've played many rounds in jeans and a t-shirt (as long as the course allows it), and I have a solid base in rules and etiquette. I don't see any correlation between attire and playing ability or etiquette observance. I've played public courses for more than 40 years and I've seen all types - I never made any judgements because of what someone was wearing.

I don't care what others wear on the course. What I care about is etiquette within reason.

I know the course rules state proper golf attire required (khakis and polo ect) at all times and I have to be honest because it did bug me a bit.

Above is the only real point that is important or relevant in this conversation. You post dress code so that everyone knows what to expect and you enforce it. Even as a PGA golf professional I really don't care what that policy is as long as you have one. I grew up playing in jean shorts at our mini in Oakland when I was young and love that vibe. While today, I have a hard time playing in even shorts as a golf pro I still enjoy practicing at my local municipal course by my house for that same feeling. But I know what to expect when I go there because of their policy.

You have a right to be bothered by this because you made the decision to play that course (and probably pay more money) for a an experience you desired and that should be upheld. I am not saying it's the end of the world but this is why you set a standard and uphold it.

Ok, I know I said your quote was the only thing that mattered. but seriously who wears cut off sleeves to the golf course! Is a tee shirt that uncomfortable?

I can't say that it would bother me one way or another. It really has no bearing on my round of golf and how I enjoy my 3 or 4 hours on the golf course.

I understand golf courses have to make money, so far be it for me to judge if they decide to let people on the course with their choice of attire. If it was a lack of attire, might be an issue, but I just feel like there are so many other factors of a round to focus on.

Played with "Denim Dan" yesterday at the public course we belong to. He beat me, played damn good golf, and it didn't take away from the round in the slightest bit.

Here's to you Maddog!

6dfba057e7f136c84f228a0a91672a43.jpg

You certainly should have control over this if you are a paying member of a very exclusive club, no? If not, I would take my business elsewhere in that instance.
I joined a private club for the nicer course conditions, not to obsess over what others are wearing.

I joined a private club for the nicer course conditions, not to obsess over what others are wearing.
Nailed it for me as well.

I just can't see myself golfing in jeans; not just because of the look but jeans make me feel restricted.

I totally understand and I'm with you, but would you care if they abandoned their dress code altogether? Or if some of the other rules you do like, start being treated with less authority?

I guess to me, if you're paying a premium price to be a member at an exclusive club, there are some inherent things that go along with that. The dress code, to me is one of them. For what it's worth, I enjoy the public courses near me and couldn't care less about what others wear. I do insist that my kids wear what the course requires of the adults, and expect everyone to be courteous on the course, too.

If a dress code is going to exist, then it must be enforced at all times or it's not enforced at all.
I wear jeans when it's cold and a dress code allows. But...let me ask you this as far as "golf attire" goes.

Which looks better ? This foresome...

golfing.jpg

Or this foresome....

john-daly-loudmouth-golf_t640.jpg

Give me the decent jeans every time.

I totally understand and I'm with you, but would you care if they abandoned their dress code altogether? Or if some of the other rules you do like, start being treated with less authority?

I guess to me, if you're paying a premium price to be a member at an exclusive club, there are some inherent things that go along with that. The dress code, to me is one of them. For what it's worth, I enjoy the public courses near me and couldn't care less about what others wear. I do insist that my kids wear what the course requires of the adults, and expect everyone to be courteous on the course, too.
I'm not a fan of slobs on the course either, but I guess I just choose to focus my energy in more positive ways. It's only one or two people. If it got so bad that it bothered me I'd simply leave and find another club.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Also, I police my guests, but anyone else, I let the course handle it. I honestly don't pay much attention, as I'm more concerned about avoiding triples and quads.

If a dress code is going to exist, then it must be enforced at all times or it's not enforced at all.
I wear jeans when it's cold and a dress code allows. But...let me ask you this as far as "golf attire" goes.

golfing.jpg

Or this foresome....

All I know is that the guy on the left in the top picture better be wearing a cup.

golfing.jpg

Or this foresome....

Yep. To say that someone in that Loudmouth crap is "properly" attired, while a player in clean denim jeans is not, is simply hypocritical. Although some of the 70's stuff wasn't a whole lot better:

79020975-golf-comedian-bob-hope-a-keen-golfer-in-gettyimages.jpg

Yep. To say that someone in that Loudmouth crap is "properly" attired, while a player in clean denim jeans is not, is simply hypocritical. Although some of the 70's stuff wasn't a whole lot better:

79020975-golf-comedian-bob-hope-a-keen-golfer-in-gettyimages.jpg

Is it though? If a course says no jeans, those guys aren't wearing jeans in the Loudmouth picture. I think the example is a little bit ridiculous because how many people regularly wear loudmouth? I have seen 1 person in my mans rounds of golfing.

As for the OP, wear whatever you want as long as you follow the dress code. I couldn't care less if someone is wearing Jeans and a T-Shirt, as long as that is allowed at the course.

LOL to compare anyone's attire to John Daly is ridiculous!! His clothes are outrageous and he does that on purpose. Again, I'm not in the camp of anyone having to dress a certain IF the club rules allow it. It's not my club, so I don't care. However, if I am a member of a club that has these rules, but they are not being adhered to and the club isn't being proactive in this regard, I think it would bother me.

I'd hardly call being slightly bothered and mentioning it to the guy inside after the round obsessing. It was the cut off sleeves that bothered me. Not necessarily the jeans.

Gotta love the Internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see this a lot where a course will have a posted dress code but golfers don't adhere to it and the course doesn't enforce it.
I only care about what I wear in the long run.

I'd hardly call being slightly bothered and mentioning it to the guy inside after the round obsessing. It was the cut off sleeves that bothered me. Not necessarily the jeans.

Gotta love the Internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is gonna be my last response because obviously we all have our personal opinion on the subject.

It was bothering you enough that you made a thread about it. I would call that mildly obsessive at least. Like I said. We're all entitled to our opinion.

golf attire wherever u play,,,,pants /collared shirt or shorts and collared shirt....

Played with "Denim Dan" yesterday at the public course we belong to. He beat me, played damn good golf, and it didn't take away from the round in the slightest bit.

Here's to you Maddog!

6dfba057e7f136c84f228a0a91672a43.jpg

I did play well....an old baseball coach used to say....the uniform does not make the player, the player makes the uniform....denim forever....lol

I feel that you should dress the part but it doesnt really bother me. Here in the midwest, its very common to see jeans and t-shirts on the golf course. Most of the time, Im just happy when people decide to keep their shirts on. Its not at all uncommon during the heat of summer to see men golf with no shirt on. No joke.

Its not at all uncommon during the heat of summer to see men golf with no shirt on. No joke.

The course marshals don't say anything about this????? I think around me, you would be outright ejected on any course if you tried this!

Haven't figured what clothes have to do with hitting a golf ball. I would be more offended by a flat billed cap or a cigar than a pair of jeans.

Back