Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

How is the 58 for full swing shots? Any difference on that type of shot between the C and PM grinds?

How is the 58 for full swing shots? Any difference on that type of shot between the C and PM grinds?

This wedge design and the PM are two totally different beasts, by design really.

The full swing thing will vary person to person too, if I was getting one for full swing I would go W, but thats a fit thing.

I really think I need to track down a 58 or 60 MD3 this weekend to mess with. Maybe my local shop has one I can tinker around with.

54W will be here on Thursday. Hope to have some on course feedback after the weekend!

54W will be here on Thursday. Hope to have some on course feedback after the weekend!

I love this wedge. It's easy peasy out of the bunker

i had a fitting at the annika academy at reunion resort today. my gain goal in the fitting was the find a wedge that worked better with full swings than the rotex 2.0 with kbs tour-v 100 r flex i have now. my miss is all over the face, can be a chunk or a shank but not very consistent.

we got baseline numbers for my pw and my weak pw, then we went out to the grass to hit some different combos with wedges. the md3 50-10 s with stock ttdg s300 was awesome. extremely tight dispersion, great ball flight, very consistent distance and flight. it was a no-brainer gw. the 56-12 w grind all stock was next up because i mentioned that i like bounce. the results were pretty bad, dispersion all over the place, poor contact, big swings in distance. he gave me the 56-10 s grind all stock, and it was butter. again very consistent across the board.

i was concerned that the grind of the 56 may not work for me, particularly out of the sand so we headed to the bunker. he also grabbed a 60-11 w grind. we hit about 10 balls out of the sand, and 7 of 10 were in kick-in range. keep in mind i am not a good bunker player. 56 and 60 worked incredibly well out of the bunker. just easy, and very spinny even with beat up range balls.

so i walked away with all stock mac daddy 3 chrome 50-10 s grind, 56-10 s grind, and 60-11 w grind. i have a round scheduled on a par 3 course next week, so i'll probably get some good work in with these.

Those W grinds are awesome in the type of grass we play on.

Those W grinds are awesome in the type of grass we play on.

the fitter pretty much said that. he said unless i'm playing nona, i need a w grind here in orlando. i said shut up and take my money!

the fitter pretty much said that. he said unless i'm playing nona, i need a w grind here in orlando. i said shut up and take my money!

I have been messing with one quite a bit and they are awesome at just about everything I throw at it.

I have been messing with one quite a bit and they are awesome at just about everything I throw at it.

The W grind is just SOOOOOOO solid.

i had a fitting at the annika academy at reunion resort today. my gain goal in the fitting was the find a wedge that worked better with full swings than the rotex 2.0 with kbs tour-v 100 r flex i have now. my miss is all over the face, can be a chunk or a shank but not very consistent.

we got baseline numbers for my pw and my weak pw, then we went out to the grass to hit some different combos with wedges. the md3 50-10 s with stock ttdg s300 was awesome. extremely tight dispersion, great ball flight, very consistent distance and flight. it was a no-brainer gw. the 56-12 w grind all stock was next up because i mentioned that i like bounce. the results were pretty bad, dispersion all over the place, poor contact, big swings in distance. he gave me the 56-10 s grind all stock, and it was butter. again very consistent across the board.

i was concerned that the grind of the 56 may not work for me, particularly out of the sand so we headed to the bunker. he also grabbed a 60-11 w grind. we hit about 10 balls out of the sand, and 7 of 10 were in kick-in range. keep in mind i am not a good bunker player. 56 and 60 worked incredibly well out of the bunker. just easy, and very spinny even with beat up range balls.

so i walked away with all stock mac daddy 3 chrome 50-10 s grind, 56-10 s grind, and 60-11 w grind. i have a round scheduled on a par 3 course next week, so i'll probably get some good work in with these.

nice info from the fitting. I have 50 in s grind and 54 in w grind. Some of the best wedge so played and I was a fan of the rtx2.0 but the md3 are silly. I went PM grind on 58. Glad you found some wedges that work for you

Picked up this wedge in 58 S grind and played it today and was in 4 greenside bunkers and on all four got out with no probems. These are crazy smooth from the sand…This thing is going to make think about replacing my Vokeys, that I am currently gaming..

I am finding the S grind the best grind,
out of the W/C grinds

For those of you who have seen the pm grind sole and the soles of the MD3, which one is closest?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

The W grind is just SOOOOOOO solid.

Especially off that bottom groove! Just amazing

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially off that bottom groove! Just amazing

You'll probably hear more from Roger himself so I don't want to steal all of his thunder, but he has a special word for that leading edge groove lol

For those of you who have seen the pm grind sole and the soles of the MD3, which one is closest?

For me it's the W grind. Feels and plays the same, but obviously not the high toe the pm has.

For me it's the W grind. Feels and plays the same, but obviously not the high toe the pm has.
Gotcha. I ask cause the tour grind u have in my 55* just digs deep into the ground....

Gotcha. I ask cause the tour grind u have in my 55* just digs deep into the ground....

I will say the OG md's and I didn't get along bc if the digging. It got better with the the MD2 T grinds & the PM was just flat out cheating with the 58*.

Will be user dependent, but it's solid

I will say the OG md's and I didn't get along bc if the digging. It got better with the the MD2 T grinds & the PM was just flat out cheating with the 58*.

Will be user dependent, but it's solid
I'm also considering jusy getting a pm grind in 56 and bending it to 55. I love the 60*

You'll probably hear more from Roger himself so I don't want to steal all of his thunder, but he has a special word for that leading edge groove lol

Haha ya, that was a quote from yesterday with James. We were all about that bottom groove in the cold...

Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

first round in the books with these and I missed lots of greens so plenty of time with these. I had supreme confidence with these on full shots, and I pulled off all but 1 full shot and that was because I was in between clubs. so my goal in finding wedges I could make confident full swings with was met in spades. around the greens when I missed it was me, but when I made good contact these things spun really well. out of the bunkers it took a little time to gauge how hard to swing, and while I'm still coming up a little short the clubs get the ball out of the sand beautifully. the 56 s grind is great out of the sand, and the 60 w grind is really good out of the sand as well when you need to swing a little harder. in all, these are the best wedges I've ever played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great reviews from everyone. Looks like updating my 50/54 MD2TG this spring.

So after one round of only using this wedge once and my round last weekend in Virginia Beach, I'm pretty happy with this purchase. the 54W is just so easy to toss the ball up high and land soft. I struggle with distance on the PM 60 the further out I go, but I think that it can be relegated to up close work now as this wedge seemed to work really well pretty much from 100 in. Need to get some more time with it, but I was able to judge distance pretty well for just the second round with it. Will continue to work with it an see how it goes. Don't see it leaving the bag any time soon.

54W is silly fun Jon, glad you're enjoying it.

It's the reason I am silly torn on going with the 60 PM next week or going MD3 60W instead.

Back