Titleist Ball Fitting

BriMac

Team Vosh 2024 Victory Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Fluctuates
Has anyone ever gone through the Titleist ball fitting, or any ball fitting for that matter? Did it change any preconceived notions? I have one coming up in a few weeks (thanks THP and Titleist!) and curious as it will be a first for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ball fittings for me have been very eye opening in the past. Kind of why ill buy a sleeve of a couple different balls when they come out and try them because you never know what ball is going to be best for your game

Did a Bridgestone fitting a while back. It was nice to have numbers to support a ball choice

Did a couple Bridgestone fittings and have gone back and forth between them and titleist.

I did a Titleist ball fitting a couple of years ago. They got me on a launch monitor out on the range and I hit a few full shots with each ball using the driver. Then the same routine with a 6-iron, and finally some 40 yard de-lofted punch shots. That gave the fitter enough data to make a recommendation. I then got a sleeve which I took to the chipping green and that confirmed it.

Did a Bridgestone fitting a while back. It was nice to have numbers to support a ball choice

Same here. I did the live Bridgestone fitting a couple of years ago. Well worth the time. Opened my eyes big time. Being fit for the right ball is very important.

I’m also very excited to go through this with the titleist reps. I think it’s gonna be really cool to see what they select for each of us.

I've had a quick Bridgestone fitting and it was interesting to see the numbers and results. I changed my ball a little bit based on that fitting too.

Very curious how this goes for me. Think I'm going to learn a lot about some of the mistakes I've made in the past equipment-wise.

i would love to do something like this. sounds really fun and it would be nice to have some numbers to confirm a decision, or move me to go a different direction.

Very curious how this goes for me. Think I'm going to learn a lot about some of the mistakes I've made in the past equipment-wise.

Same here!

Titleist really stressed the importance of a proper ball fitting but they also mentioned that trackman and a ball fitter is only half the battle. Testing each ball 100 yards and in and feeling confident with those scoring clubs is crucial to your game no matter what the numbers say. There is also merit to simply understanding what each ball in the lineup is meant to do and educating yourself before attempting to pick a golf ball. The information we received at the event was enlightening to say the least and I really have a better understanding of the entire Titleist golf ball lineup.

I understand the emphasis on 100 and in but in my case Trackman didn’t lie. The lower spinning option AVX was the best fit for me. Maybe that’ll change if I fix my swing issues but in the meantime I’ll stick with what’s working best for me right now.

Last edited:
I wish my swing was consistent enough that the ball really made a difference.

Stick with it, even poor but repeatable can mean a difference can be had.

Has anyone ever gone through the Titleist ball fitting, or any ball fitting for that matter? Did it change any preconceived notions? I have one coming up in a few weeks (thanks THP and Titleist!) and curious as it will be a first for me.

Cant say that I have, actually ive never done a ball fitting of any kind, would be kind of cool to see the differences. Could probably do one solidly with irons right now, and full swing wedges, thats about it (as far as consistency)

Titleist Ball Fitting

Cant say that I have, actually ive never done a ball fitting of any kind, would be kind of cool to see the differences. Could probably do one solidly with irons right now, and full swing wedges, thats about it (as far as consistency)

I had posted in the live thread about the underlying process without getting into my actual results. I will just touch on my results here for a bit. Started with SW 50 yard shots, then moved on to full swing 6i and driver. Of the 50 yard SW shots, I chunked a majority of them. We did get some data points, but not enough to draw any conclusions. Nerves, a new wedge, new Golf season, and I was first one up (and Desmond was next to me going through his fitting and he is an ace with his short game) All contributed. They put me at ease, and we moved on to the 6i and driver, with thoughts of going back to the SW once I had warmed up a bit more. For the 6i and Driver, I was quite pleased with the strikes and felt they were representative of my game. They strongly felt the X was right for me based on the full swing shots. We could have gone back to the SW shots, but I didn’t feel it was necessary. I was better served spending the next hour or so in the practice area reacquainting myself with some semblance of a short game.

I don’t think you need to be in mid-season form to go through the process. A patient and inquisitive fitter might be more important. The interview also helped fill in the gaps as I talked about the types of shots I like to play, in lieu of actually executing them. Would I have liked to be in better form? Of course. But I don’t think the results of the 50 yard shots would have moved me to either the V or the AVX.

I had posted in the live thread about the underlying process without getting into my actual results. I will just touch on my results here for a bit. Started with SW 50 yard shots, then moved on to full swing 6i and driver. Of the 50 yard SW shots, I chunked a majority of them. We did get some data points, but not enough to draw any conclusions. Nerves, a new wedge, new Golf season, and I was first one up (and Desmond was next to me going through his fitting and he is an ace with his short game) All contributed. They put me at ease, and we moved on to the 6i and driver, with thoughts of going back to the SW once I had warmed up a bit more. For the 6i and Driver, I was quite pleased with the strikes and felt they were representative of my game. They strongly felt the X was right for me based on the full swing shots. We could have gone back to the SW shots, but I didn’t feel it was necessary. I was better served spending the next hour or so in the practice area reacquainting myself with some semblance of a short game.

I don’t think you need to be in mid-season form to go through the process. A patient and inquisitive fitter might be more important. The interview also helped fill in the gaps as I talked about the types of shots I like to play, in lieu of actually executing them. Would I have liked to be in better form? Of course. But I don’t think the results of the 50 yard shots would have moved me to either the V or the AVX.

Fantastic stuff BriMac

Enter obedt haha. You know what, this is perfectly understandable. I will tell you that in terms of the full shots, despite the inconsistency in my game it was clear that one ball worked best for me. I needed help launching and keeping the ball in the air.

Numbers improved across the board. There are other factors to consider, but now the decision is whether I want to risk a shot with a cheaper ball that doesn’t fully help my game or go to something pricier that I know maximizes my chance of success and also has very tight tolerances. I don’t think anyone would blame me if I went with the cheaper option on tight courses tbh, but if the goal is scoring the best I only have one option. Despite my skill level, that part of the equation is clear.

One important thing - Russ had me relax really quick into the process. He complimented me on the short game shots. He made sure to show me numbers without me even asking, and knew which stats to show me that were comparable with much better players. I was literally skulling shots a few minutes earlier, and by the end of the fitting my last 50 y shot stopped within a foot of the flag.

You hear it mentioned all the time, but good fitters have seen every swing and know how to ease anyone in.

Can’t recommend a good ball fitting enough. This was so enlightening.

01fe086d3effc22d1fcff33b61b408e6.jpg

The trackman numbers here with the driver were really important in my ball fitting. Check out the spin rate with the AVX. With the ProV1x, it was close to 4000rpms and the V was right around 3000 rpms. The AVX got me down to 2500 which added distance and got me driving the ball close to 300yards on good shots. You can also see how my descent angle was better at 40* to get some roll out.

My fitter Emma really did a great job of analyzing the numbers to show how good the AVX could be for my game. If you have a chance, find a ball fitting near you and put the titleist line up to the test or at least get on a trackman/foresight and see your numbers with your ball.

Having gone through the TItleist Ball Fitting a weeke ago, I can assure you that you do not need to have a high swing speed or your best swing on a particular day to get a good fit with an experienced fitter.

You just need to bring confidence and relaxation to your swing.

Hit 8 chips, 7 6i, and 4 drives, and the fitter by looking at ball flight and Trackman can lead you to a ball or a choice of balls.

Titleist already knows that in the premium lineup most golfers will fit into a ProV1x as most of us require more spin and launch than a ProV1 or AVX ball. The high speed, high launch golfers are looking at the difference between AVX and ProV1. The AVX produces insane distance for that type of golfer. But it can occur at the expense of short game control. One needs to test, adapt, and balance what they want from their ball.

Most of us need a short game and control - either ProV1 will help if you have technique, which most of us must develop. That's where knowledge, practice, and the Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges come into play. :)

Back