Data Golf: Golf Unfiltered #153

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The THP Radio Network is proud to present the Golf Unfiltered Show with Adam Fonseca. The show brings new and interesting topics and interviews from the world of golf and we are honored to have it as part of our lineup on The Hackers Paradise Podcast Network.

Matthew and William Courchene are the co-founders of DataGolf.ca, a fantastic golf statistics and analysis website geared toward enhancing your understanding of the game.

Matt, Will and Adam discuss the origins of their website, clarify some common golf data misconceptions, and break down what Strokes Gained really means.

Follow Data Golf on Twitter at @datagolf.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/data-golf-golf-unfiltered-153/

Awesome! Just in the for a long drive I have tomorrow.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I am going to give this a listen this afternoon. More accurate information can be useful!

Will be listening to this one. Just gave a quick glance at the website. Looks to be a lot of information to dive into.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Listened to the first 5 minutes this AM. I enjoy statistics and willing to bet Adam facilitates an interesting conversation. I'll check out the entire show tonight.

queued up and ready for the drive in. I love this type of data!

Coincidentally, this week's episode meshes well with this morning's news of the USGA/R&A distance report.

Really enjoyed this one and I'm looking forward to checking in on their Twitter page during the Valspar. The strokes gained stars have always interested me, but I'm a little closer to fully understanding it now. May have to listen to the episode a couple more times just to engrain some of that info.

That's pretty crazy that after playing right handed for years one the them switched to playing left handed now...and he was almost a scratch golfer before, what?!?! Aaaaand poor ZJ took a beating. LOL! But he was a perfect example so it worked well.

Firing this up now. I do love this kind of topic

I love the live models they have going. I remember advanced nfl stats used to do that and I would get a kick out of how many times a year the Chargers could lose a game when they were 99% to win.

Curious if they have more strategy based data for amateurs or competitive golfers in regards to optimal targets and practice and things of that nature. I realize the PGA and shotlink really make it easier for those things to be figured out for tour players but I love the am side to it.

Good listen on the drive home.

I loved the part at the end about how the stats say 2014 Rory was basically as good as 2008 Tiger, and how 1989 Norman is basically today's average Tour Pro. Very interesting!

Yeah that last part I wasn't getting how they really figured it out. I think it is tough to draw solid conclusions from non not shot link era. Would love to see 2000-2002 Tiger shotlink stats.

Finished listening to the podcast this evening. Agree with comments above on Tiger and Rory comparison. Good stuff! Also appreciated strokes gained explanation. Not sure I could accurately describe it to someone. Lots of math in that equation!

Definitely will check out www.datagolf.ca this weekend during the Valspar.

Back