Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
My accuracy. When I'm 140 and in, I seem to get the distance correct, but I'm either left or right of the green. That makes me miss GIR and forces me to get up and down. That of course means my short game is suffering, despite my spending a fair portion of time in lessons devoted to this skill.

Which means what is holding me back in my failure to sufficiently practice.

That and a crappy tee game, but I pulled the driver and am hitting more FIR's with the 3H while only losing - on average - about 20 yards.

Sounds like you are hitting the ball with either an open or closed club face if you are missing right and left. Are your shots going straight right and left, or are you getting a draw or hook?

Sounds like you are hitting the ball with either an open or closed club face if you are missing right and left. Are your shots going straight right and left, or are you getting a draw or hook?
For the most part it's an alignment issue, though I've been known to pull my irons, and a push isn't always out of the question.

Yesterday was the epitome of my game. Good golf followed by horrendous golf.

Started the day 1 over through 5. Got up and down for par on two of those holes so the short game was working alright. Next hole, pull my drive, next shot was off the toe and almost straight right and I was fortunate to walk away with a triple. Next hole, again an awful tee shot. Next shot went out of bounds thanks to a hook which only appears when it knows it'll kill my round, and after my penalty I chunked my way to the hole only to three putt for a 10. So I went from 1 up through 5 to 10 up through 7. A double and a bogey at 8 & 9 put me at 49 for the front.

On the back I was playing bogey golf through eight only to triple the final hole for a 47.

Wound up with a 96, which is an ok score ... but the manner in which it happened left me with a really bad taste in my mouth.

I had a horrible round in the wind yesterday and ended with a 105/104 ESC (53/51). 39 Putts, hit 1 fairway on the front - 4 on the back, only 2 GIRs (both par 3's), 2 green side bunker shots and 1 fairway bunker, and 6 penalties. It was a ridiculously windy day as well which isn't helping with my irons hitting 45+ yards peak heights at the moment.

Hole 1 - par 4, strong left to right wind and slight dog leg right, 3 wood off the tee aim right side, cut into the trees on the right, no shot so chipped left out of trees, wedge onto green, then 3 putted for double bogey.
Hole 2 - par 5, wind behind me, hole curves to left, slight cut on driver in right side first cut, hooked 5 iron to left side rough, hooked another 5 iron pin high into left green side rough, over shot pitch to right green side rough, chipped past hole, and 3 putted for triple bogey.
Hole 3 - par 4, fairly straight wind in face, cut driver into right hazard (marsh), drop and low punch shot with 5 iron, partial shot with PW cam up just short, pitched to back collar, chutted close, and 1 putted (marked 2 putts on card by mistake - 39 should have been 38 putts)
Hole 4 - par 3, 197 from forward/white tees over water with wind in my face, 3 iron off tee a little fat and into the water, re-teed and hooked 3 iron and hit the one tree between me and the hole that sent my ball back 20 yards. 137 PW to green landed in right green side bunker. Sand shot to within 10 feet or so and 2 putted.
Hole 5 - par 5, left to right wind with water all the way down the right. I set up to try and fight the wind and ended up hitting a pulled tee shot into a left fairway bunker. Hit a 5 iron low on the face with ball back in my stance that resulted in a low pushed shot that had just enough juice to reach an area where the water cuts back into the fairway. So take a drop from the hazard. My PW is roughly 135 carry and 9 iron is 150. I had roughly a 135 shot but strong wind in my face. So I pull the 9 iron and hit it 150 to the back of the green. Then 3 putted the 15 yards or so to the pin for a double bogey.
Hole 6 - par 3, strong right to left wind (7 iron). I start my tee shot just right of the pin but had too much hook on it for the wind and end up 20 yards left of the green. Pitched it to within 2 inches and tap in putt for par.
Hole 7 - par 5, finally getting the driver under control and hit one dead straight down the middle. 5 iron slight hook into left rough. Wedge to 3 feet from green. Chip on and 2 putt for a 6. Par putt missed by an inch or less.
Hole 8 - par 3, strong right to left wind again (9 iron). The height on the 9 iron shot couldn't take the wind and hooked into a left hazard (marsh). Dropped, pitched to 10 feet or so and 2 putted for a double bogey.
Hole 9 - par 4, dog leg left, aimed right side of fairway for approach shot but cut the tee shot a little into the right tree line and had no full shot. Punched the 5 iron down to 30 yards or so. Pitched on and 2 putted for bogey.

Hole 10 - par 5 (I hate this hole), big dog leg left with water all down left. Tee shot into fairway, hooked 5 iron to left rough but put trees in my path. 150 to go and tried 9 iron but right to left wind at turn combined with my hook miss put me in the water. Take my drop into some thick rough and proceed to take 3 strokes to get on green. First slid under ball, second almost did and only got the ball half the distance into shorter rough, and third got me on. 2 putt for a 9.
Hole 11 - par 4, fairly straight, nice long draw that rolled into left hazard (marsh again). Drop and fat partial wedge shot, then another, then finally on. 2 putt for a triple bogey.
Hole 12 - par 4, slight dog leg left. Hooked 3 wood tee shot into some trees, punched with 5 iron out and across fairway into the one area with 3 trees (a few feet from being in good position). 5 iron punch again onto left side rough of green, chip on and 2 putt for double.
Hole 13 - par 3, 137 with left to right wind, perfectly straight shot with PW (thanks to the wind, not me), hit 5 yards short and spun back 7-8 feet. Then ruin a GIR by 3 putting for bogey.
Hole 14 - par 4, 3 wood down the middle, wedge onto back collar, chutted on, and 2 more putts for a bogey.
Hole 15 - par 3, made the GIR and 2 putt for par.
Hole 16 - par 4, dog leg right, aimed down left side and hit the one tree I could have possibly hit again and deflected my ball down at the start of the fairway. 246 to pin so 3 wood off the deck, nice draw but short by 20 yards, pin was on the right side of the green and there was a right green side bunker. Rather then pitch on to the center of the green, I aim at the flag and hit the lip of the bunker and roll back in. Sand shot out and 2 putt for a double.
Hole 17 - par 4, dog leg right. Drive into left center of fairway, but on a hill with the ball below my feet. Thinned it and was lucky that it stopped before water in front of the green. Pitched just short, chipped on and 2 putt for double.
Hole 18 - par 5, dog leg left. Aimed left and hit a draw around the corner but found a tree. Didn't lose much distance but left myself with no decent second shot. Easy punch with a 3 iron to get it forward and in the fairway, but didn't make great contact and left myself with 190 to the pin. Ball was above my feet and hit a 4 iron a little fat and came up a few feet short of the green (but a rear pin position so I still had 20+ yards). Pitched back left 6-8 feet from the pin and 2 putted for bogey. Par putt burned the edge of the hole.

My takeaways are:

To continue to work on the driver/tee game. Even though I only lost one tee shot with a wood (and with a nice draw), the inconsistencies made it difficult to know where my shots were going to go. I still don't have the confidence or the consistency to almost all but guarantee a one way miss. The inconsistencies also led to bad positions for second shots.

To spend a little more time/thought on my shots to ensure I make the safe bet. Maybe a few extra practice swings on manufactured shots like the low punch to ensure I'm going to get the ball going in the direction I want and with good contact. A few of the punch shots should have really saved me but resulted in too little distance forward or in another bad spot. My fairway bunker shot would have been better with less club and an easier swing - just enough to get out and forward and with a higher lofted club that would keep the ball more online.

The short game could always improve, but to be honest with myself there was really no reason for any of the three putts. I need to work on lag putting and on my confidence. I know I feel like I'm going to hulk smash the putt and blow it past the hole which results in a decelerated stroke that doesn't get me near close enough to give myself a fair shot at dropping the second putt.

And I have to get rid of my Recoil shafts. Even on great shots that are baby draws, the ball flight is upwards of 40+ yards in peak height. I'm giving up a ton of potential control with that trajectory. I've done some experimenting on a monitor and tested several shaft options and am seeing the best ball flight with Project X 6.0's and 6.5's (I didn't test the 6.5's on a monitor so I'm not sure which would be best). After that was C-Taper stiffs but they were still a little too high (I didn't get to test the Stiff+ or X-stiff in the C-Tapers). I switched to the stiff flex Recoil 125 F4's from KBS-Tour X flex shafts (130 gram) that I was fit for through the Taylormade Performance lab. I never should have switched. The Recoils do feel good and I'm sure they would be better on my joints in the long run, but they are making the game more difficult for me and have to go. I have an opportunity for a fitting early December so will wait until then before determining what shaft changes to make.

It's hard to tell why you're scoring so high. It's not your putting, that's generally good.

For every hole I track:

FIR
GIR
SIH (shots inside 100 yards that aren't putts)
Putts
Penalties

If you start tracking those, it will be really obvious where you're losing the strokes.

The past week, I put in a putter that I was using most of the summer. It's a Nike Concept with the offset bar on the back. The other putter has been a Maxfli C3 #4 mallet. Personally, I think you can get any putter to work with just a little time under your belt. The only thing that separates them with me at this point is the grip and when the ball is right at the fringe/rough.

I am coming out to in something fierce when I try to put something extra on it. Everyone of those beaver pelt divots is pointing at a 45 degree angle to the left. The club face is closed a bit at address. In the past two weeks (handicap season over) I have been trying to de-loft the club (irons/wedges) with a little forward shaft lean. It has gained a lot more distance than when I had the club straight up at address. That also added to much loft and I'd have a hell of a time picking them off from the fairway. I always said that I had better luck hitting from the rough because it allowed my flaw to cheat by having the ball sit up. I had to change and why not when the season has only a few weeks left at best.

The ball flight with the irons is a slight fade. If I try to hit from a downhill lie, then some come off line drive hot. I try to follow my body with the lay of the land but I must straighten up during the swing and get the hot runners.

The ball flight with the driver is a two way deal most of the time unless I really get radical with the stance. For some odd reason, an elevated tee box usually has me pulling them. Hitting to an uphill fairway has me slicing them. They go a long ways with the pull but some holes it turns into a disaster with trees (errant drives). When I get the notion in my head that I have to put some muscle on it, then a big slice happens. The pull has been manageable for now but I have know idea when the hole killer slice pops up. The tee height seems to be a fine line too. Too low and I might get a driver bounce off the turf behind the ball, too high and moon balls pop up.

I should also add, that I have only been playing a year at most. I started 5 years ago and played about two weeks and was involved in a head on crash with my motorcycle. Some bozo with a truck pulled into my lane. I have a tear in my left shoulder, left hip totally replaced, back/neck/headache problems, and IT Band problems with the left leg. Sometimes the left leg bends properly with the swing, other times a massive pain spike happens and all kinds of stuff is happening in that brief moment of hitting the little white ball. Some other idiot took me and my car out of action soon after that.

For the most part it's an alignment issue, though I've been known to pull my irons, and a push isn't always out of the question.

I have been compensating the stance for an obvious swing flaw of coming out to in. Sometimes I get away with it, other times I'm hitting 4 on the fairway!

Not sure if everyone packed it in for the year or not. I got out (twice) last Monday. I had to go out of town and decided to bring the clubs along. I signed up for 18 but packed it in after 9 because the last three holes was constant coughing. You might know I was hitting the ball pretty well and finished with a 45 on a 69.5/121 3128 yard front nine. My ride home was over an hour away and I pretty much coughed for 50 minutes of it. I was riding by the local course and said the hell with it, play nine before darkness sets in and worry about the rest later. I was still striking the ball pretty damn good for me and finished up with a 44 on a 69.2/124 2773 yard front nine. I won't count this as breaking 90 until it is done for 18 holes. What I do find strange is now my hiccups are when I'm close to the green with little chips and pitches. The 150 to 170 yard approach shots were on the greens. Weird stuff and hope some day it all comes together.

Not sure if everyone packed it in for the year or not. I got out (twice) last Monday. I had to go out of town and decided to bring the clubs along. I signed up for 18 but packed it in after 9 because the last three holes was constant coughing. You might know I was hitting the ball pretty well and finished with a 45 on a 69.5/121 3128 yard front nine. My ride home was over an hour away and I pretty much coughed for 50 minutes of it. I was riding by the local course and said the hell with it, play nine before darkness sets in and worry about the rest later. I was still striking the ball pretty damn good for me and finished up with a 44 on a 69.2/124 2773 yard front nine. I won't count this as breaking 90 until it is done for 18 holes. What I do find strange is now my hiccups are when I'm close to the green with little chips and pitches. The 150 to 170 yard approach shots were on the greens. Weird stuff and hope some day it all comes together.
That's a good place to be, chipping practice around the greens is easy. You can do it in your back yard with a wedge, some balls, and a hula hoop or anything else you can use as a target.

That's a good place to be, chipping practice around the greens is easy. You can do it in your back yard with a wedge, some balls, and a hula hoop or anything else you can use as a target.

That is a good idea on the hula hoop. I will have to check out the toy department at Kmart or Walmart and see what they got. A bright orange one would be nice and there is a little league field about 100 yards away from the front door.

That is a good idea on the hula hoop. I will have to check out the toy department at Kmart or Walmart and see what they got. A bright orange one would be nice and there is a little league field about 100 yards away from the front door.
If you're walking over to the little league field, there's nothing wrong with playing "closest to the shag bag".

Obviously roll-out won't be the same as on a green, but you can work on your touch getting the ball to flight how you want land where you want it to.

If you're walking over to the little league field, there's nothing wrong with playing "closest to the shag bag".

Obviously roll-out won't be the same as on a green, but you can work on your touch getting the ball to flight how you want land where you want it to.

Getting the correct landing spot was the thorn in my side the past few rounds. I've always been a pitcher of the ball and knew that I'd have to be a chipper to lower these scores. I still get a little uneasy when there is a patch of rough or a sand bunker in the way.

Do you use different clubs for distance control or rely on more or less swing? I ask because at this stage without any practice and putting it to the test out in the field, it's a crap shoot.

Well, the temp has climbed to 42 degrees, time to check out the course. My lower left rib cage is hurting from coughing so much. It could turn into a couple of swings and done deal.

Got out yesterday on the last beautiful fall day for a while here in DFW. Great course, great day ... and not so great golf. Carded 4 10's on the 4 par 5's. Just ridiculous. On the back nine I was driving it beautifully - hit 6-7 fairways in a row with wonderful long drives. Made up for it with abysmal short game play, and got a case of the fats on 18, where I hit THREE in the water while leaving a beaver tail on the course roughly the size of the Grand Canyon. What in the world? Did make a par and had some bogeys, but ended up with 62 and 63 for 125.

I don't know... am discouraged. Am taking lessons and shot a 112 and thought maybe I was getting there or gonna get there. Since then two rounds in the 120's again. I've never worked harder at anything than trying to get my golf game decent and sometimes it just seems like it's never going to happen. Two years ago I was hacking around in the 120s. Now I know a lot more about what I'm doing, course management, don't hit driver, etc. and ... I'm still hacking around in the 120's. GRRRRRRR!

Got out yesterday on the last beautiful fall day for a while here in DFW. Great course, great day ... and not so great golf. Carded 4 10's on the 4 par 5's. Just ridiculous. On the back nine I was driving it beautifully - hit 6-7 fairways in a row with wonderful long drives. Made up for it with abysmal short game play, and got a case of the fats on 18, where I hit THREE in the water while leaving a beaver tail on the course roughly the size of the Grand Canyon. What in the world? Did make a par and had some bogeys, but ended up with 62 and 63 for 125.

I don't know... am discouraged. Am taking lessons and shot a 112 and thought maybe I was getting there or gonna get there. Since then two rounds in the 120's again. I've never worked harder at anything than trying to get my golf game decent and sometimes it just seems like it's never going to happen. Two years ago I was hacking around in the 120s. Now I know a lot more about what I'm doing, course management, don't hit driver, etc. and ... I'm still hacking around in the 120's. GRRRRRRR!
Come join us in a scramble next month, check the DFW thread.

At least you'll get to ignore your bad shots and use your good ones. ;)

Looks like our thread got a little dusty over the Thanksgiving holidays... I'll dust it off a little.

Shot 113 yesterday. Best round in a while. Had put three up in the 120s again and felt like I was really making no progress. #discouraged

Played better yesterday. Me and my 3w can flat drive the ball. Better play in the short game and a couple of good putts and I put up a better score. Only two 3 putts for the day. Made a par right off the bat on No. 1.

I do feel like I have plateaued a little at 110-115. I need ten more strokes. Think the place to find them is in the short game. Need to get on the green in 1 from 125 not 2. That and avoiding penalties and I'd be way under 100.

Maybe Santa will bring me a better short game!

Last 5-6 rounds have been in the 100-104 range. If I could just eliminate some 3putting, I'd be in the low 90's

Played a tough course today, a place called Blackmoor, outside Wintersville, OH. I had a rain check for a nine, so decided to play it after visiting my mom. Dropped a 49, made par on 3 holes, and had a very good time. Could have carded a better score, but three 7s will do that, haha.

Last 5-6 rounds have been in the 100-104 range. If I could just eliminate some 3putting, I'd be in the low 90's
Nice!

How far away from the hole are you starting when you 3-putt?

I put up a 109 yesterday after not playing in about a month. Par 3s really beat me up. There were four in the course. I had a bogey on one of them, and 7s on the other three. I have some sort of mental block that keeps me from being able to hit irons from the tee box. They're otherwise the strength of my game, but from the tee I'm terrible.

I put up a 109 yesterday after not playing in about a month. Par 3s really beat me up. There were four in the course. I had a bogey on one of them, and 7s on the other three. I have some sort of mental block that keeps me from being able to hit irons from the tee box. They're otherwise the strength of my game, but from the tee I'm terrible.

Try something different. If you usually use a tee on the tee box for par 3s, try not using a tee, which will make it more like your other irons shots that you are confident in.

Try aiming for the middle of the green rather than at the flag.

Try something different. If you usually use a tee on the tee box for par 3s, try not using a tee, which will make it more like your other irons shots that you are confident in.

I actually started doing this and it made a huge difference for me. I did it initially just to work more on my irons but I had so much success with it I have stayed with it. If I am using my long irons then I might tee it up every once in a while but once I get down to my 6 or 7 I will always keep it on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried with a tee and without. Alignment/aim isn't the issue; making good contact is.

Probably over thinking it at this point. Happens to me a fair bit. Do you find yourself standing over those tee shots for longer than usual? Make a conscious effort to shorten that up if you are.

Remember, breaking 100 is easy. :alien:

Probably over thinking it at this point. Happens to me a fair bit. Do you find yourself standing over those tee shots for longer than usual? Make a conscious effort to shorten that up if you are.

Remember, breaking 100 is easy. :alien:

I probably do hover over them a bit longer just trying to not screw it up. The problem just compounds itself each time I top one 20 feet or chunk one into the water.

So, did you ever have a round where your score was pretty bad, but you felt pretty pleased about how you played?

Yesterday, I played a short course, par 31, ended up carding a 41, and was pretty pumped. Today, I played a more difficult nine, and carded a 54. Now, you may say "Hamfist, my good man, that's a 13 stroke swing in the wrong direction.", but I say, if it weren't for the d**n 3-putts, that would have been a solid 49. I was driving it pretty well, my irons were pretty good, my wedges were pretty good,....and then out came the putter. Oh, you cursed club.

Do you use different clubs for distance control or rely on more or less swing? I ask because at this stage without any practice and putting it to the test out in the field, it's a crap shoot.
Sorry I missed this a while back, I use my 52* wedge for just about everything. For chip shots, distance control is with your swing--it's basically just like putting. Different clubs just fly the ball differently--a wedge will have a long time in the air and a short roll-out. A 4i will have a short time in the air and a long roll-out. Same swing for the distance to the pin, different amount of carry over stuff based on the club. What I realized is my GI irons react differently from my muscle-backed wedge, and I got my distances dialed in with a wedge. I figured more time in the air doesn't hurt anything, so I use my 52* for just about everything, or sometimes I'll use my 56* sand wedge if I really need to carry a hazard and I'm not on a super tight lie. That's just what works for me though, other people do things different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back