chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Ever played on a course with synthetic greens??? One of our country courses here put them in a few years back.

http://www.walpolecountryclub.org.au/synthetic-grass-greens.html

I just got in to a tournament there and I'm looking forward to it. I played there last year , they are interesting to putt on, the straight putts just don't quite go straight, but the are all pretty consistent.

Can't get used to not leaving spike marks. Standing on others putting lines is just weird.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I’ve n never played on synthetic greens. Is everything else pretty similar to real grass? Balls check up, spin back etc?

The closest I have come to this was when I went to a golf dome

The range was only about 60-75 yards long, but because the balls were rubbish and the green was sloped from back to front it was hard to get any idea about how the ball was reacting when it hit (plus it was covered in balls as those hit with longer clubs just dropped on to the green after they hit the netting)

Would be interested to see what you think of it

I played, several years ago, on a golf course with synthetic greens. Each green had 5 or 6 pin locations. It was okay but the place closed down after a year or so. There was just something wrong about playing on carpet. Oddly; none of us ever got a hole in one despite there being multiple holes on every green.

One of my courses has a little 4 hole synthetic green 'course' setup next to the practice range. I'll practice on it sometimes but those greens don't react at all like our normal ones. The ball bounces and rolls a lot more on them.

Last edited:
Interesting. I know the new ones are really good and theses probably are cheaper then USGA green but on a good site with good sand they probably aren't worth it. Wouldn't mind playing a round on them. I can also see theses being a great idea in some climates(really cold, really hot)

I’ve n never played on synthetic greens. Is everything else pretty similar to real grass? Balls check up, spin back etc?

How realistic synthetic greens are is dependent on four things: The synthetic grass, the installation, what kind of greens you usually play on, and the type of shot you are making. I used to own a company that designed and installed practice greens and short game facilities for high-end homes and commercial sites. When doing a backyard putting green we'd design primarily for the type of green and green speed the owner primarily played. Plus give a variety of putting challenges within the constraints of the space and build it out for the long term. When it came to a short game facility there is a lot more to consider. Size and characteristics of the rough, bounce on the green and so forth. These challenges get to be more significant when you are creating an actual hole. We once built a two-hole facility at an estate. A tee box not too far from each green so you could go back and forth. There was about a one club difference between the two due to elevation and other characteristics. The challenge with these is the base has to be as hard as a road bed or the green won't last. But you need to have synthetic materials in between that and the synthetic grass or it will bounce like crazy. You also need a good fill on top of a dense sand-like material (the rubber you see on athletic fields won't do). The synthetic grass needs to be stretched and attached like carpet.

So in summary, there is a lot involved to create a realistic synthetic green--and many examples exist of how not to do it.

I'm here and they look good ... Talk here is all about them being really quick ...

No practice green though makes it tough

I'm here and they look good ... Talk here is all about them being really quick ...

No practice green though makes it tough

Synthetic putting greens can be set up to run anywhere from 6 to 11 on the Stimpmeter. At least that is what we could do a few years ago when we were doing it. It's a combination of the design of the synthetic grass and the type and amount of fill that is used.

Greens were fine , didn't like the edges (grass growing up over created a ridge) but they ran smooth and true.

Pretty quick but not too quick for me.

I just played crap and couldn't get on them in reg.

Day 2 tomorrow, but am out of the running 4bb and we had 35 points.

Ive played on one course that had synthetic greens. I didnt like it. The greens were super fast and I couldnt get the ball to check up at all.

Back