Votes: 17 14.9%
  • Less than 70%

Votes: 95 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I am curious how often people hit their irons in the center of the sweet spot.

I feel like i flush my irons 1-3 times a round.

Definitely less than 70%. My shots live toe side usually.

I feel like i flush my irons 1-3 times a round.

So you get the optimum yardage from 1 to 3 shots a round. Would you say clubs keep you in the game the rest of the time?

Lets see. Typical round has

85-90 Score
14 Drives
33-36 Putts

That leaves most everything else iron/wedge shots for me. (around 40 shots)

I'd say I hit at most 5 times a round for about a 12% chance. I'll drop that down a little since that is probably on the high end and make it that there is a 10% chance I flush an iron at any given moment. Yah. Not good.

Last edited:
Not many maybe a few times in 18 holes. That magical feeling of puring a shot doesn't happen often, but when it does that feeling keeps you coming back

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On the range it's slicing a knife thru butter.

On the course. Unfolded lawn chair.

So you get the optimum yardage from 1 to 3 shots a round. Would you say clubs keep you in the game the rest of the time?

I'm not sure, I think club design without a doubt helps. But when I say flush I mean everything is in line. Face is square, perfect contact, good weight shift, good flight, good distance, good spin, all of that stuff. There are times where I can hit the ball in the center of the face, but other factors, like face angle, keep it from being the desired result. It's not that my misses are mostly front to back problems, they are more left to right(mostly left) problems. Me personally, I don't think club design really is going to solve that issue, because it's more swing/swing path/angle at impact than it is club design. That miss is there whether I play Big Bertha OS, Apex, 900 Forged. I think what keeps me in the game is my short game. Being able to chip and putt(some rounds) mitigate those misses on the scorecard. Iron tech is there to help, but I can override a lot of clubhead technology with my own faults.

On the average 10 times per round. Toe miss on irons and the way opposite end on wedges.

"Like most professional golfers, I have a tendency to remember my poor shots a shade more vividly than the good ones - the one or two per round, seldom more, which come off exactly as I intend they should."

-ben hogan

...and c.a.eleric. if i have 1 flushed shot in a round, i'm doing well. every other shot is missed to some degree. contact point, path, bottom of the swing, whatever. but that one shot is enough to keep me coming back.

I believe the polling options are way too high for amateurs. I would say that if I hit the sweet spot of my irons 40% in a round, that is an extraordinary ball striking day. Now, missing the sweet spot doesn't necessarily mean you get a bad result nor does hitting it mean you get a great one.

I want to try to remember to track where on the face I hit every shot during a round. My handicap wouldn't suggest my sweet spot contact is high anyway, but would be nice to know the %, along with breakdown by club. Time for a long range session!!!

I am curious how often people hit their irons in the center of the sweet spot.

Define "center". Like a dime size spot? If so, hmm. never. I do make a nice quarter size wear on the "sweet spot" of my irons though. When I miss it's 90% heel, 10% high toe.

Overall "centerish" strikes I'd say 90%

I think I would be in the 25% range!! That might be overstating it but it is difficult to know for sure!

I believe the polling options are way too high for amateurs. I would say that if I hit the sweet spot of my irons 40% in a round, that is an extraordinary ball striking day. Now, missing the sweet spot doesn't necessarily mean you get a bad result nor does hitting it mean you get a great one.

that's a great point and one I was thinking as well. How many times do we hear people say they get hot spots/flies on their irons. Chances are(not always), they hit that one pure and got more than they are accustomed to. I tell Jenn that golf is a stupid game, because you can hit one perfectly and end up in a spot of bother, meanwhile you can top one and end up within tap in range.

Definitely less than 70%, I would say closer to 40-50% Short game keeps my scores low.

Would say 50% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I voted less than 70% but honestly I don't know what the percentages are, how would you? I feel like I hit it "close" to the sweet spot more often than not but hitting the actual sweet spot I'm not sure, probably much lower than 70%

I voted less than 70%, but would be really curious to track this over the course of a round. I think the hardest part is having a definition of "hitting it on the screws" as that can vary from player to player.

For sure less than 70, I may even say less than 60, the weird part is, my miss is actually pretty consistent, say 20-25 on the same spot for a miss off the toe.

If we are talking "pured" I'd say a max of 3-5 times a round

Maybe 20% of the time. If it includes 54* and 58* wedges, that % goes up. Iron striking has always been a weakness of my game even though ball striking with 54 and 58 on full swings is probably the strongest part of my game.

Well I kinda figured out what "hit the screws" meant but looked it up just to be sure. On a good day I would say 25-35%.

Attachments

• wooden-wood-007.jpg
    wooden-wood-007.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
Actually taking the time to think about it makes me think I may be in over my head with the irons I just ordered :dohanim:

Hitting on the screws probably 50% of the time, however hitting the shot exactly how I pictured it in my mind, that'd be about 5% of the time if that.

I'll hit the ball on the screws but pull it, push it, draw it too much, or fade too much.

Back