Room for one more!

58 or 60 w or PM grind..

My bag for 2016 is set and I have room for one more club. I want to add a club I will use. What should it be?
2016 bag

GBB driver
GBB 3W
2 & 3 hybo
5-aw cf apex 2016
54*md3
#1wide

what should I add?

Based on what we've discussed in the past, you being able to utilize the 54 for most shots, I think you need something that would settle in between the 3W and they hybos...

What club though I don't, would depend on your gapping, maybe a mini driver?

My bag for 2016 is set and I have room for one more club. I want to add a club I will use. What should it be?
2016 bag

GBB driver
GBB 3W
2 & 3 hybo
5-aw cf apex 2016
54*md3
#1wide

what should I add?

Depending on the gap between the 3 hybrid and 5 iron, I would say either a 4 iron or 58/60* wedge.

I have to agree with the others, Freddie. You have a strong game, so I'd add a 58* MD3. With your 54* you can loft or de-loft it 2* +/- with no problems, same could be said with a 58*. I think that would be a good tool to add to your bag.

58 wedge imo

Unless the gap between 3h and 5i is bigger than 15 or 20 yards, I'd go 58* wedge.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

20 yards at the top end. But with the new CFs in the bag, I will have to see where my gaps are.

Those irons might make either the 2 or 3 hybrid obsolete depending on how far your 5i is carrying. So you could in theory have 2 spots open. Depending on how the gaps play out at the top I can see this set up

Driver
3W
Heavenwood/D9
Hybrid
5-AW
54 & 58/60
Putter

Add me to the 58/60˚ PM Grind group. Even if you do have a gapping issue, I'd be surprised if you ended up fixing it with a 4H, and the PM is so versatile for those tricky shots around the green. I'm a back and forth guy on LWs, but this one gets way more use than I thought it would when I picked it up. What hybos are you going with?

Let me join the chorus.
My L-grind 58-04 is one of the most important clubs in my bag.
Find a short side miss wedge that you like and you'll have more confidence aiming at pins instead of center-green. (Just don't get crazy with it!)

Freddie - I am surprised that you do not carry a high lofted wedge!
I will echo the sentiments of others - 58 or 60* wedge, lots of good companies, find one you like. I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but hit up the Hopkins website for grind recommendations for your area if you have any question about grind.

58,60, or how about a 62??? For those creative shots.

Depending on the gap between the 3 hybrid and 5 iron, I would say either a 4 iron or 58/60* wedge.

Right now it's about 10 to 15 yards with stock swings. The more I think about the more I want to add a matching 58 to my 54. Is the PM really that good?

58 PM grind. Favorite club in my bag.

PM Grind in 58° ...lock it in.

Freddie - I am surprised that you do not carry a high lofted wedge!
I will echo the sentiments of others - 58 or 60* wedge, lots of good companies, find one you like. I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but hit up the Hopkins website for grind recommendations for your area if you have any question about grind.

I don't think I have come across a shot I can't hit with my 54. I know that this the way it is because I have only carried a 54 or 56 for the past 15 years. Maybe a 58 sneaks in for a round but is quickly removed. If I add a 58, I will need to learn some new shots that I used to lean on my 54 for.

Based on what we've discussed in the past, you being able to utilize the 54 for most shots, I think you need something that would settle in between the 3W and they hybos...

What club though I don't, would depend on your gapping, maybe a mini driver?

That's the other option, leave the mini in the bag.

That's the other option, leave the mini in the bag.

Nothing wrong with playing with 13 clubs, less to think about or practice with. Having said that you could go in either direction that has been suggested (gap between irons and hybo/woods or higher lofted wedge) or you might consider tee club (2nd driver, mini driver, utility/driving iron) only you know your needs but thought I would mention an alternate option. Another option might be to drop another club. I used to play with 11 clubs and had some very good rounds doing ot.

What do you need? What gaps do you have? What would you be trying to accomplish with that last spot that your other clubs can't do?

My WITB for 2016 : 14 pcs ; 2 drivers , 1 Fairway wood #5 , 1 Hybrid Rescue #5 , 7 pcs Iron #5 to GW , 2 pcs Wedge 54 and 60 , 1 putter

Right now it's about 10 to 15 yards with stock swings. The more I think about the more I want to add a matching 58 to my 54. Is the PM really that good?

I'm not personally a fan of the PM grind, but the High lofted MD3's are that good.

With that set up I would have to say the PM Grind in 60*!

I may have to go against what I preach and add one.

I have a 58 PM sitting in the corner if you want to give it a go. Send me a PM if youre interested.

Id say go with a trouble wedge. Versatile enough to deal with turf monsters, gators, slow play, and people that hit into you. A must for golfers of all skill levels

_dsc0011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back