XXIO9 Driver and Fairway Wood Preview

Sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to the review and how the tech works.

Not gonna lie this sounds interesting. I feel that I like the looks of this over the prime driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont mind the looks at all, the claims are bold and I would love to check them out in person. However I really doubt I'll ever see one in person here or anything XXIO for that matter. Boutique or JDM equipment are like unicorns in Southern Oregon.

650,,,,,,,I just can't get past that. And here I thought the M1 was overpriced. The way these prices keep going I'm glad I've returned to building my own clubs. I could build almost 5 drivers for that 650 price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You wont find XXIO in big box stores other than a select few like PGA SuperStore. They are a green grass product primarily and will stay that way.

You mention that a shop carries Srixon and Bridgestone. If you mention XXIO and a shop that carries Srixon gives you "crickets", then they do not really understand what they are selling.

It is not a product for everybody. For that matter, neither are a lot of things. A Toyata Camry is going to run very similarly to its Lexus counterpart. Doesnt mean the Lexus wont sell.

This past weekend we saw what the XXIO Prime could do in the hands of a person that it caters towards and it was downright staggering.

The beauty of THP Events...A group of THPers got a chance to spend the weekend with the Srixon, Cleveland and XXIO team and ask all of these questions to them first hand, as well as test the gear from the brands and are now armed with the knowledge necessary to be truly informed.

JB,
I understand that products can be catered to a certain class of people. In this case I could see more established members of a swanky club playing these clubs, if their club happened to carry them. And there is nothing wrong with that. If it performs for them and they have the means to buy that is their decision.

I am a slower swinger and would love to try it. It might do wonders for me. However, hitting one seems to be a challenge if stores do not have any to demo or they do not attend demo days (Cleveland/Srixon does not typically participate in the event I attend annually). I scour new and used bins at several golf shops while at home and on the road for work and never seen an XXIO product other than in online pictures. I’ve also never seen a Fourteen Golf club, Scor wedge, Bigfoot or an Alien with my own eyes. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist though. Just haven’t come across one yet.

I was more calling out the “outsold their US projection by 100% in ’14 and ’15” comment. My point is what was the projection? Was it 20 units, 200, 2,000, 20,000, 200,000?
Big differences there. What is their current market share? 1%? Less than 1%?
If it was a lofty goal they set, I am happy to see the line is making headway over here. That just gives us golf consumer one more option to try.
Though, given the street price, I am out at this time, but it doesn’t mean others won’t pay.
I’ll be on the lookout for them though and hope to demo one in the future. My gut tells me though, it will be a tough find.

As for your comments about the higher driver pricing with the M1 and XXIO, you have to remember, this online community consists of diehard golfers who love new equipment who are willing to pay for the latest and greatest.
When I tell my more casual golfing buddies that I paid $400 for my G30 after tax they gasp and just look at me like I am nuts. I would say the more casual golfer is who makes up a majority of those playing the game today. Not us gearheads. Sure the oem’s will still sell their fare share of drivers but if I were them I’d be careful about these price hikes. There is a tipping point at some level. If might not be a great analogy but at $2/gal everybody loves to drive their car. At $4 gallon it’s a different story. That’s all I am saying.

XXIO9 Driver and Fairway Wood Preview

Easy fix for you and cures all you were searching for.

THP has already announced an event next year in your home state. Come out and try the XXIO, and you can do so right on the range, with FlightScope and even take it to the course to see how it performs.

Your numbers about the price increases impacting driver sales might be accurate to your group, but as it pertains to sales they are a bit different. The leading drivers sold in terms of units are all near the higher end of the price spectrum. Leader in golf balls, at the higher end. Leader in wedges, at the higher end. And there is more.

The small sampling of the casual golfer from a specific location does not always translate to what is being purchased and why. Although like always, all good info is just that, good info.

Also, honest question about the sticker shock on these drivers.

I think its safe to say most people around these parts go through a driver or 2 every year.

Lets say you buy this one and it works for you and you managed to game it for 2 or 3 years.

In theory you would end up saving money not buying multiple drivers a year trying to get one that "works"

MikeDean: I agree to some extent. I was on the driver carousel the past few years and even though I was buying used for the most part did snag a couple at full price (SLDR and Bio Cell).
Finally went to a Ping demo and after writing off the G30 gave it one last hurrah with the Tour shaft which made all the difference for me. Two days later bought one and haven’t regretted it. But that was at $379+ tax. I am not sure I could spend $625 on one club even if it was 5 or 10 yds longer.
I play about 40 rounds a year and with Golfnow and Teeoff.com I usually average about $17 per round. That is about the cost of one XXIO driver. Tough to justify from that standpoint.
Where in OH are you at?

JB: As for attending a THP event in my home state. It all depends on when, where, cost and family commitments. But I will be on the lookout for sure.

MikeDean: I agree to some extent. I was on the driver carousel the past few years and even though I was buying used for the most part did snag a couple at full price (SLDR and Bio Cell).
Finally went to a Ping demo and after writing off the G30 gave it one last hurrah with the Tour shaft which made all the difference for me. Two days later bought one and haven’t regretted it. But that was at $379+ tax. I am not sure I could spend $625 on one club even if it was 5 or 10 yds longer.
I play about 40 rounds a year and with Golfnow and Teeoff.com I usually average about $17 per round. That is about the cost of one XXIO driver. Tough to justify from that standpoint.
Where in OH are you at?

JB: As for attending a THP event in my home state. It all depends on when, where, cost and family commitments. But I will be on the lookout for sure.

FYI just a heads up we already have 1 event announced that will take place in OH next year, hopefully u can sign up

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-vs-Michigan&p=4106336&viewfull=1#post4106336

I'm still trying to figure out how a club can have you maintain your wrist cock longer. I'm skeptical, to say the least.

I'm still trying to figure out how a club can have you maintain your wrist cock longer. I'm skeptical, to say the least.
It's a D5 swing weight, basically a driver that feels like a heavy wedge to swing. The club head will naturally lag if you put the same swing on it because it's so dang heavy--inertia at work.

Kind of similar to an orange whip, but without the whippy shaft.

For those wondering about the "wrist cock" aspect of the driver, perhaps this will help further explain what XXIO is talking about:

1. Evolution of higher head speed technology

• 1.1. Altering the head path - What makes even higher head speed possible is original shaft and head designs by Dunlop Sports, which help to improve the head path during the first half of the downswing. Evenwithout the golfer trying to change his or her swing or even consciously noticing anythingdifferent, the lightweight, flexible shaft and the heaviest head in XXIO’s history combine todelay uncoiling of wrist cock at the time of swing transition, causing the head to pass closer tothe body. This optimized head path in turn reduces the rotational radius, naturally increasingthe arm rotation speed and increase swing speed. As a result, in the second half of downswing,centrifugal force acts more powerfully on the head, significantly increasing the head speed.

XXIO9%20Path_zpspnef0xek.png

• 1.2. New MP900 graphite shaft - The key function behind the main technology of XXIO9 series which alters head path is DunlopSports’ self-developed MP900 graphite shaft. Featuring most advanced materials, this shaft islighter, with the balance point closer to the grip.To realize this leading-edge shaft, Dunlop Sports leveraged both its seasoned in-housedevelopment and design capabilities and its strong partnerships with manufacturers ofadvanced materials. The latest in leading-edge materialsThe MP900 graphite shaft features such leading-edge materials as Toray T1100G (a graphitefiber developed for aircraft, launch vehicles and other next-generation aerospace applications),Toray T700G, and polymers developed with Toray’s NANOALLOY® technology.4 Thanks tothese advances, Dunlop Sports was able to develop a shaft 2 grams lighter and with a balancepoint 20 mm closer to the grip as compared to the previous model.Developing a shaft both light and strongSince both the outermost and inner layers ofthe shaft receive the most force during theswing, Dunlop Sports has applied hoop layers to these parts for extra strength with its uniqueconcentric hoop sandwich structure (patentpending).This in sum, our original layered structurehelps make the shaft lighter and stronger at thesame time. In addition, the shaft structure isoptimized in each part to maximize functionalperformance at the grip, center, and tip.

I stand corrected, it's a heavy counterbalanced driver.

It's a D5 swing weight, basically a driver that feels like a heavy wedge to swing. The club head will naturally lag if you put the same swing on it because it's so dang heavy--inertia at work.

Kind of similar to an orange whip, but without the whippy shaft.
That's it? D5? My stock Bio+ gamer is D5. I do a ton of comparitive driver testing and never have the sensation (or tangible results) to suggest I'm retaining my wrist cock longer when I alternate back to my D5 Bio+. There has to be more to it I hope. 441 saw huge gains.

edit - I see my concerns were answered as I was responding. Gotta love THP:clapp:

I stand corrected, it's a heavy counterbalanced driver.

Hasn't Ping done the same thing since about the G20? Coupling heavy heads with counterbalanced shafts to bring the SW back to a normal D2? Sounds like Dunlop is just not counterbalancing it as much and leaving the Swingweight higher.
Not knocking what they are doing just pointing out that perhaps it's not a new idea.

It is crazy that a difference of just 2 grams in a shaft would be such a big deal. I love it.

Hasn't Ping done the same thing since about the G20? Coupling heavy heads with counterbalanced shafts to bring the SW back to a normal D2? Sounds like Dunlop is just not counterbalancing it as much and leaving the Swingweight higher.
Not knocking what they are doing just pointing out that perhaps it's not a new idea.

No one is saying its a new idea fwiw. You are also discounting the shaft itself, it isn't JUST a counterbalanced design, it also comes back tot he physical flex and flexpoint of the shaft. By being lighter and we shall say, more pliable, it increases the lag effect of the shaft through the swing. Thanks to the materials within the shaft (don't mistake this for a simple "made for", keep in mind how MASSIVE Dunlop Sports really is and what their company umbrella capabilities range is) they claim to have also maintained the strength of the shaft while upping the flexibility.

Swinging the XXIO driver this past weekend is a VERY unique experience with a profile unlike a majority on the current driver market. The ideas around swing weight may factor on paper, but not unlike company defined "torque" ratings, it's a different experience across the board.

I like to think of it as the sum of it's parts. It's not just the head or the shaft, but rather how the two work together -- And we saw it big time with MikeDean441 and others for another iteration of the head.

It's nice to see the impact of a stock shaft in that regard. I'm sure it will carry over to this line.

Swinging the XXIO driver this past weekend is a VERY unique experience with a profile unlike a majority on the current driver market. The ideas around swing weight may factor on paper, but not unlike company defined "torque" ratings, it's a different experience across the board.

I like to think of it as the sum of it's parts. It's not just the head or the shaft, but rather how the two work together -- And we saw it big time with MikeDean441 and others for another iteration of the head.

It's nice to see the impact of a stock shaft in that regard. I'm sure it will carry over to this line.

I've always been somebody thats never been completely comfortable swinging a driver, in what ways is it different? The way you say this really makes it seem like an option I need to at least look at.

I was looking over the Used clubs at the PGA SS and they had a 3,5 & maybe a 7 in rack, $349.00 each and they where pretty scratched up. In hand they did not all that great to my eye, definitely did not have a expensive look to them IMO.

Back