Shaft suggestions for Rogue 3w

Gyro25

It's a Jersey thiiinngg
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I won some credit for the fanbeat game to Callaway and I'm looking to upgrade my 3w. Currently have rbz stage 2 tour ts 13* with stiff "rocketfuel by matrix" 70g shaft (will also likely do trade in if they still have the 50% bonus). I can't hit it off the deck to save my life, read that was a common issue, and I fade/slice it way too often for comfort, but then play that fade and goes dead straight haha and when I hit it well it goooeeesss

So I'm a total newb when it comes to non-stock shafts, have never had a fitting so I can only go with what I hit well. Even for my driver, 2017 m2, is the stock Fuji xlr8 pro 56 stiff (the not even in their lineup so can't even find the specs), but I'm hitting it pretty well.

Anyways, I read up on the evenflow blue (my swing may be too hard this one, or just not possible? lol) and the project x yellow tour 65, anyone test out either/both of those?

If it matters I'll likely get the standard 15* 3w SZ, but could change last minute to the 13.5*

Any input or suggestions are appreciated!! I'm open to any of the 'included' shafts Callaway offers for the rogue 3w.

Thanks THP!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The shafts that come with the Rogue 3W are not 'made for' shafts and are the same as you would get if you were to buy the shaft on its own. Based on your post it sounds like you have an aggressive swing so with that being the case, you may want to check out the HZRDUS Black or Yellow 75. I think you'd find either suitable for your swing.

Oh and here are the specs for that Fujikura shaft: https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/2016-pro-xlr8/

Hope this helps!

I agree with the above. Have some more thoughts for you.

1. Why would you consider a 13 degree when you've stated you have trouble hitting your current 3 wood off the deck? I see you have a driver, so you are not using it as a driver.
Therefore, I would HIGHLY recommend more loft. The Rogue will no doubt go further than your current setup.

2. You mention slicing in your post. Why consider the sub zero model and not the standard model? The sub zero will likely have a flatter lie and perhaps even a more open face, which will not help a slice. I would recommend you consider the standard model.

My recommendation (with very limited info), based on what you've told us, go with a standard model Rogue 4 wood (yes, 4 wood....you will be surprised how versatile this club will be for you) with a hazardous yellow 75 fairway shaft in stiff (6.0) flex.

Best wishes.

I also suggest the 4 wood and you might try it at 42.5 inches and name your swingweight when ordering as well as shaft. Getting a fit shaft is important.

I have the HZRDUS Yellow in my prior 3W and the EF in my current Rogue 3W. I like them both a lot but they feel pretty different to me. I'm not great at discussing/describing shaft characteristics but to me yellow feels much more stable, bordering on stout, maybe especially when n the lower 3rd. The EF isn't whippy or anything at all, it just is a bit more active. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
To go with some of the comment above and what you said, picking the correct head and loft should be your primary concern before shaft.

You say you slice at times and can't hit the 13° off the deck. A 4w would help both cases with increased launch and back spin. Rbz stage 2 had some of the longest shaft length on 3w IIRC, so 4w paired with 43" or 42.5" shaft might allow you a bit better control. Better launch, spin and control from better strikes will make up more than enough distance in carry over a 13° that you don't hit well.

As far as shafts go, stock even flow blue holds up just fine to hard swings. Just get 75g 6.5. If you don't mind the upcharge, graphite design tp7x is one of my favorites in a fw

I have the HZRDUS Yellow in my prior 3W and the EF in my current Rogue 3W. I like them both a lot but they feel pretty different to me. I'm not great at discussing/describing shaft characteristics but to me yellow feels much more stable, bordering on stout, maybe especially when n the lower 3rd. The EF isn't whipped or anything at all, it just is a bit more active. I hope this makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. The EF will be more of a smooth profile me thinks.
I think we've suggested the yellow for him based on his "swing too hard" comment. But we don't know his swing speed or transition move, so our shaft recommendation is nearly useless. I think OP should certainly try both shafts in 70g versions and go from there. I had the yellow in my driver at one point and hated it. REALLY firm throughout the shaft. Perhaps in a fw though, could be a totally different story. I dunno. OP, make sure you demo if at all possible. My simple point is to try the standard model head in 4 wood, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

To go with some of the comment above and what you said, picking the correct head and loft should be your primary concern before shaft.

You say you slice at times and can't hit the 13° off the deck. A 4w would help both cases with increased launch and back spin. Rbz stage 2 had some of the longest shaft length on 3w IIRC, so 4w paired with 43" or 42.5" shaft might allow you a bit better control. Better launch, spin and control from better strikes will make up more than enough distance in carry over a 13° that you don't hit well.

As far as shafts go, stock even flow blue holds up just fine to hard swings. Just get 75g 6.5. If you don't mind the upcharge, graphite design tp7x is one of my favorites in a fw

I agree with all of this. Even a HZRDUS Yellow 85g in a 4W (or even a 15 SZ) sound exactly what is needed in this case.

Tons of reviews on here for the HZRDUS Yellow and Even Flow, but be sure to stop in the Rogue Fairway thread to get thoughts.

Not much in the initial post about the swing - but he has a 56g stiff shaft in the driver, and the general rule is go 10g more ... and generally one wants a softer tip in a fairway for launch (dependent on what you are starting with in the driver shaft) ...

Thanks all for the comments and feedback!

The shafts that come with the Rogue 3W are not 'made for' shafts and are the same as you would get if you were to buy the shaft on its own. Based on your post it sounds like you have an aggressive swing so with that being the case, you may want to check out the HZRDUS Black or Yellow 75. I think you'd find either suitable for your swing.

Oh and here are the specs for that Fujikura shaft: https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/2016-pro-xlr8/

Hope this helps!

Black sounds too much for me. Old bio cell driver had project x pv xstiff, thought it would help but had bad/worse mechanics, and just felt too much like a board. Appreciate the suggestion for the yellow 75

And I found that page but it doesn't list the 56 model, so I presumed weight was in between the 51 and 61

1. Why would you consider a 13 degree when you've stated you have trouble hitting your current 3 wood off the deck? I see you have a driver, so you are not using it as a driver.
Therefore, I would HIGHLY recommend more loft. The Rogue will no doubt go further than your current setup.

2. You mention slicing in your post. Why consider the sub zero model and not the standard model? The sub zero will likely have a flatter lie and perhaps even a more open face, which will not help a slice. I would recommend you consider the standard model.

My recommendation (with very limited info), based on what you've told us, go with a standard model Rogue 4 wood (yes, 4 wood....you will be surprised how versatile this club will be for you) with a hazardous yellow 75 fairway shaft in stiff (6.0) flex.

Best wishes.

I hit the 13 SZ on a Sim at dicks, but I know that's not a great or accurate source. 4 wood is sounding good tho, thanks!

I also suggest the 4 wood and you might try it at 42.5 inches and name your swingweight when ordering as well as shaft. Getting a fit shaft is important.

Yeah a shorter shaft should help with more control.

I have the HZRDUS Yellow in my prior 3W and the EF in my current Rogue 3W. I like them both a lot but they feel pretty different to me. I'm not great at discussing/describing shaft characteristics but to me yellow feels much more stable, bordering on stout, maybe especially when n the lower 3rd. The EF isn't whippy or anything at all, it just is a bit more active. I hope this makes sense.

definitely, thanks!

At the range I was good with the 13* but on the course, which was not a great condition course, I couldn't hit it right. But you're right, slight higher loft with a shorter shaft should be good for me. I'm 5'9" but tend to stretch out with the longer TM 3w.

Appreciate the suggestion on the GD, unfortunately my golf budget is fairly capped for now.

Makes perfect sense. The EF will be more of a smooth profile me thinks.
I think we've suggested the yellow for him based on his "swing too hard" comment. But we don't know his swing speed or transition move, so our shaft recommendation is nearly useless. I think OP should certainly try both shafts in 70g versions and go from there. I had the yellow in my driver at one point and hated it. REALLY firm throughout the shaft. Perhaps in a fw though, could be a totally different story. I dunno. OP, make sure you demo if at all possible. My simple point is to try the standard model head in 4 wood, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I can't recall the numbers from the monitor at dicks but believe is is the 100-105 range. Based on all the responses I'll do what I can to find a shop to demo it, not much in my area aside from a couple driving ranges and dicks. And the ranges don't like to demo unless you're serious about buying.

I agree with all of this. Even a HZRDUS Yellow 85g in a 4W (or even a 15 SZ) sound exactly what is needed in this case.

Tons of reviews on here for the HZRDUS Yellow and Even Flow, but be sure to stop in the Rogue Fairway thread to get thoughts.

I had posted in there but perhaps didn't ask the direct question of what staff works for them, will be my next stop.. thanks!

But I'll definitely look into demoing some more.

Not much in the initial post about the swing - but he has a 56g stiff shaft in the driver, and the general rule is go 10g more ... and generally one wants a softer tip in a fairway for launch (dependent on what you are starting with in the driver shaft) ...
Their 51 model is a 58 weight, 61 model is 66, so I'm putting the 56 model in at 62g... ?? I could be, or am very likely totally off on that assumption lol

Best I could do for now was get to dicks, where they 3 had a 3w with aldila synergy 60 s and a SZ 3w with EF blue 6.0 75g. Just hacked away for a bit but managed to get organize a few shots

1st 3 shots are with the SZ with EF, 2nd 3 with the 3w w/ aldila.. these are off the tee
47b01f2cfae5c894ecfb9cdaab911119.jpg

Again, 1st 3 shots are with the SZ with EF, 2nd 3 with the 3w w/ aldila.. these are off the deck

815b5247e5958910f1bfe6d85aa6c8fe.jpg

I did feel better choked up an inch or so, don't think that equates to cutting an inch of the shaft but definitely will look into it for my set up.

My swing speed is lower than I thought , but It got a bit more after more swings but still maxed at 102. Couldn't get anything consistent with it on the screen, if any useful info on there open to suggestion.

Last edited:

Best wishes.
i placed my order on the 10th, shipped on the 14th, delivered today the 16th and immediately went to the range.

holy crap this thing launches!! smooth as anything, didnt have to try and kill it, mis-hits didnt over-hook, and only had one fade/slice out of them all. carried the back net, probably at least half way up, thats posted as 200yds, even in moderate wind in the face.

i truly appreciate the suggestions offered in this thread even with the limited information i had given.

now hoping to get this thing on the course tomorrow!
285b8be36413a10275c0c3ce6bc4e8aa.jpg

i placed my order on the 10th, shipped on the 14th, delivered today the 16th and immediately went to the range.

holy crap this thing launches!! smooth as anything, didnt have to try and kill it, mis-hits didnt over-hook, and only had one fade/slice out of them all. carried the back net, probably at least half way up, thats posted as 200yds, even in moderate wind in the face.

i truly appreciate the suggestions offered in this thread even with the limited information i had given.

now hoping to get this thing on the course tomorrow!
285b8be36413a10275c0c3ce6bc4e8aa.jpg

Awesome!!!!! So pumped my suggestions were helpful. Very cool. I tried far more clubs than i care to admit, so I’ve learned a few things.
Btw, apparently a good few guys love the heavenwood...might go well with the 4 wood...just sayin! Best wishes! New sticks are fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back