Driving iron or hybrid?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
Pros and cons of each? What is your preference? Need something off the tee for some long par 3s I play (220-230 range) but also want to be able to play into a par 5 in necessary. I have a hybrid now but it’s my most inconsistent club but I’m a good iron player, hence thinks no of switching to a driving iron. Thoughts on this topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought is a 5 wood, Heavenwood or 7 wood. But that is just me as I hit fairways woods better than hybrids or driving irons.

I'm a fan of the long irons as a miss still goes straight where I tend to spray hybrid.

If a good iron player as you mentioned then the Mizzy MMC Fli-Hi has to be considered, silly easy to hit consistently and I think the 2i or 3i could fit your need very well.

Never touched an iron higher than 4 and that was about a week experiment before I said forget this...

Since you're a good iron player and the hybrid is inconsistent then it would make sense to me to give the driving iron/2iron/UT iron a shot.

220-230 though? Fairway wood for me. :bulgy-eyes:

Good iron player I would look into the Srizon UT, Callaway UT or others in that same class.

I’m a hybrid guy and while I’m comfortable hitting a 5i off the tee, mentally that’s my limit.

More forgiveness in a hybrid or even a high lofted wood compared to driving iron.

Lower ball flight will probably come with the driving iron. Depending on the player they may find it easier to flight the driving iron.

I have gone back to hybrid in the 3i spot for the forgiveness

Of all the options available right now my favorite is the 2-TMB but not technically a UT. Hogan FWHI irons are pretty awesome too and presently game the 20* adjusted to 17*. Previous version of the Callaway UT is still in my top 3.

I have another something on the way to see how it performs.

I have a hybrid and I typically use it from the tee, and that is it so some would consider it a wasted spot in the bag. Could really use a 3 utility on top of my 4 iron for longer rough situations and have used one before, but it was a 4 utility and didn't fill the gap. Id say go for a Callaway UT or the adjustable Cobra UT in 18* and have fun!

Of all the options available right now my favorite is the 2-TMB but not technically a UT. Hogan FWHI irons are pretty awesome too and presently game the 20* adjusted to 17*. Previous version of the Callaway UT is still in my top 3.

I have another something on the way to see how it performs.
Watching you pound driving irons passed all our drives in KC was quite fun to watch!

Picked up the callaway 18° UT, and I am in love!

It's a fantastic club, enjoy! I prefer it over a hybrid as a better overall iron striker (as you seem to be as well)

Last edited:

What shaft was in it...for internet purposes of course.

You will absolutely love that club! I miss her

I've had a hybrid for a long while now. Mostly I'd hit it off the tee. Playing it from the fairway or rough gave me varying degrees of success. I was recently fit for the G400 crossover which I believe will be much more handy from the fairway and rough along with off of the tee because I have a steeper angle of attack so that type of head is more beneficial for me than a hybrid. I haven't been able to put it in play yet, but I've been happy with my experiences with it on a simulator. But it's gotta fit with your swing.

If you are a "sweeper" the hybrid would work well, as could the crossover. Personal preference also comes into play. Gotta play what you're comfortable with.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hybrid alone from a versatility perspective. You can hit it off the tee and is easy enough to play from the rough/fairway. I actually love driving irons but when my game goes to crap the driving irons become borderline unhittable. The hybrids are forgiving enough that they still keep me in play.

My hybrids don’t work for me off the deck or off the tee, so I am considering the Tour Edge Hot Launch iron woods. If those work for me the hybrids will go away.

I have a 4 driving iron and a 3H. Hybrid is more forgiving on distance and driving iron is more forgiving on direction so it depends on where trouble is. If it's short, I take the hybrid. If it's long right or left, I take the iron.

Driving irons are better for punching out of the woods, easier to keep low and accurate.

I would highly recommend you look at the Callaway Apex hybrid. Best of both worlds in my experience: great feel, iron type setup behind the ball, doesn’t go left too easy, launches easily, great out of the rough. I had four eagles last year thanks to it.

I have that but in 21º. What I like the most is just how straight it is where with the hybrid I have a wider range of misses side to side.

If you are good iron player you should go with either a UI or a 3 iron depending on the club. I am in the same boat and got a 3i as part of my set. It is the same 18* loft as a UI.

If you are good iron player you should go with either a UI or a 3 iron depending on the club. I am in the same boat and got a 3i as part of my set. It is the same 18* loft as a UI.
Curious as to why you say that. I consider myself an above average iron player and play a 3 and 4 hybrid. Doesn't it really come down to player preference anf what they need the club to do. I hit my long irons relatively low and hybrids are easier to launch. Also find them easier out of the rough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I prefer driving irons to hybrids. I'm just not a fan of looking down at a hybrid as opposed to an iron.

1928d4adb20729b2d29db62b8890febe.jpg

Just got this for fun...

1928d4adb20729b2d29db62b8890febe.jpg

Just got this for fun...

The best looking one of the bunch of UTs. Well that and I really like the Srixon U65.

Having only had a few swings in the sim with a UT, so far the posts above about dispersion being greater short-long with the UT but much less L-R rings true. Plan to get my G400 crossover to the course and play a few shots from a par 3 that eats my lunch every.single.time. Hope what I saw on the sim is accurate. Short or long are fine.

Back