Your expectations when a merchant messes up your order?

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
If you make a golf or any purchase and the merchant either sends you the wrong item or is way late with shipping.... Do you have any extra expectations?

I made a golf purchase last week and they only got one part of the order right.. And the second part wasn't even close. They then told me I had to box up and ship back the wrong item (they emailed me a prepaid mailing form) and once they received confirmation the wrong item was on it's way back, they would then send the correct item.

It was a very underwhelming customer service experience to say the least. Why should I have to mail off the wrong item before they send me the correct one? They have my credit card in case I didn't make the return. I already waited over a week for the first delivery. If it was my company, I'd have that item in the mail the second I heard I messed up the first order, and it'd be shipped overnight or at least 2 day. I don't think I'll be ordering from them ever again.

What do you think? What are your expectations? Experiences?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you make a golf or any purchase and the merchant either sends you the wrong item or is way late with shipping.... Do you have any extra expectations?

I made a golf purchase last week and they only got one part of the order right.. And the second part wasn't even close. They then told me I had to box up and ship back the wrong item (they emailed me a prepaid mailing form) and once they received confirmation the wrong item was on it's way back, they would then send the correct item.

It was a very underwhelming customer service experience to say the least. Why should I have to mail off the wrong item before they send me the correct one? They have my credit card in case I didn't make the return. I already waited over a week for the first delivery. If it was my company, I'd have that item in the mail the second I heard I messed up the first order, and it'd be shipped overnight or at least 2 day. I don't think I'll be ordering from them ever again.

What do you think? What are your expectations? Experiences?

I have had this happen before and have had great experiences and the same as you underwhelming experiences. I also just had this happen where I screwed up and shipped a wrong sleeve of golf balls that I sold to a fellow THPer. He alerted me and I found the correct sleeve at home and am mailing it out today. He doesn't need to send me the wrong sleeve back, they are now his to do with as he sees fit. As it should be. But when it is more than a sleeve of balls I can see how they need the item shipped back, but you shouldn't have to get the correct item back, that doesn't seem right.

I have had this happen before and have had great experiences and the same as you underwhelming experiences. I also just had this happen where I screwed up and shipped a wrong sleeve of golf balls that I sold to a fellow THPer. He alerted me and I found the correct sleeve at home and am mailing it out today. He doesn't need to send me the wrong sleeve back, they are now his to do with as he sees fit. As it should be. But when it is more than a sleeve of balls I can see how they need the item shipped back, but you shouldn't have to get the correct item back, that doesn't seem right.
Yeah I just would have thought they'd send it out immediately. I mean, it's an $80 pair of shoes that is two sizes two big. I ain't keeping them

i'm really sorry to hear about your experience.

similar to mancest i've been treated different ways by different retailers. my expectation is to receive the order correctly the first time.

the best experience i had was with callaway/odyssey. i had something that didn't bother me, but odyssey reached out anyway. they offered to ship me a replacement immediately, and sent me a prepaid shipping label. they told me to wait until i received my replacement, then pack it into the box the replacement came in. to me, that's the right way. and i would be fine if they asked for my cc as an insurance policy against me trying to keep the original item.

i don't think the policy you're experiencing is wrong, i just think there are better ways to do it.

As much as it upsets us to wait or jump through a few hoops when it wasn't our mistake, policies like that are in place because too many people abused the system. So even though I hate waiting too, I understand why.

I dont believe it is legal to charge someone's credit card without authorization, so them having it from a previous transaction does not assist in getting paid if you don't return the package. I think them saying they are shipping out a new one just with confirmation that you are returning the item, before they even inspect is pretty solid actually.

I'm with you. Their approach makes sense if you decided to make an exchange for some reason. But this is their screw up, not yours. So they should be trying to rectify it in a hurry. Step 1: make sure they fix the mistake and get the correct product (that you already paid for) in your hands ASAP. Step 2: worry about making it convenient for you to ship back the item they mistakenly sent you. Having those steps backward is a big customer service issue in my opinion.

Check the company’s ratings. If it seems that it happens often enough to other people that’s a bad sign. Hopefully it was just a one time screw up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw your tweet the other day and it made me wonder how they would respond. I'm glad they're going to take care of the return but I do understand the frustration with having to ship back first and then wait even longer on what you purchased due to their error. No advice as each person has his/her own definition of what is acceptable when it comes to their purchases. I'm with you and would hope that the vendor would go out of their way to make it right for me instead of just treating it like it's nothing big and they'll get to it when they get to it.

I don't have extra expectations, but I do expect them to correct whatever was wrong at little to no cost to me. I can certainly understand your frustration with the order, but I think the company wanting the item back before sending the correct item is reasonable.

Back