How Often Do You Change Your Clubs In a Year?

Bags stays pretty constant for 2 - 3 years except rotating among my SeeMore putters pretty often. Only other club I typically change is putting in an old 7 wood in place of the 4 hybrid from time to time. I have sold more than I have bought in 2015 after getting 13 new clubs early last December.

This. Although if something works well, it has a really good chance to hang around for a long time.

same here. GBB has a steady place in the bag and will take something big to take it out

Too often and too much for the short answer.

I've kept the same irons and putter in the bag for a couple of years. Changed driver and hybrid once this year.

I change driver's and putters often, I've used 5 putters and 4 or 5 drivers this year. Irons are the opposite, 5 sets since 1980 but one of those sets was for only 18 months so on average I get almost a decade out of a set of irons. I've played only three different strong 3 woods in the last decade but my current one was just a newer version of the 3Deep I previously played. Wedges I hopefully wear out every few years so I usually buy at least a new set every other year.

First year back in the game. So I guess maybe I have an excuse. Started off the year with some old tommy armour 845's that I have had for 7 years. Traded those in for an Adams speedline boxed set. Had the Adams for a couple months until I realized that the hybrids werent for me and I should go back to long irons. Traded in the adams for some cheaper x hot's. I then traded in the xhots for XR's. Now I am playing Z545's.
Driver I went from an off name bad driver to an adams to vapor speed to j40 and now hitting a fly z.

I am really happy with my bag and might make a couple small tweaks next year. My goal is to spend a lot of my money on playing and lessons, not on clubs. Not sure if its possible but that is the goal.

last year i replaced my entire bag. I hope to not replace a single club next year. i doubt it will happen ;)

The past 4 years I have replaced 13 clubs each season. I rotate putters.

I pretty much tossed my entire bag except my Wilson Staff driver from #personal distance since last october.. So, i'm looking at new stuff for next year.. Makes it hard to take winter lessons with no clubs..
Tom has that extensive titleist fitting equipment in the hut. Just saying.

I fall in the "never have" category for this one so far but that could change in 2016.

Tom has that extensive titleist fitting equipment in the hut. Just saying.

I was using a nice 714 ap1 6 iron today. I'm working on fundamentals so I can get by.
Hoping to have new clubs around the start of the year. Maybe I'll keep those longer than 5 months. I guess now that I think about it 2016 will be 3rd year in a row with new stuff. Making up for the 10 years I played Ping G2 irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been playing golf since July 2013.

My first irons where a beat up set of Clevelands off craigslist and an old Cleveland driver my dad gave me to see if I'd stick with the game. I promptly swapped them for TM RBZ's (stock reg flex shafts) complete with hybrids, 3w, and driver. I found out through Club Champion that they were a horrible fit for me and swapped them at the end of 13 for 712 AP2's with S300's and an R1 with a stock stiff shaft. Late 13 or early 14 I tried an X-flex shaft with the R1 and the swapped the R1 for a 913 D2. I picked up a 913 3 wood and hybrid as well.

Middle of 14 I had a fitting at the TM Performance Lab and ended up in the 14 TM TP CB's and the SLDR 460 and 3 wood. Went through several shafts in both and also picked up the SLDR 430 head. The CB's were replaced under warranty early this year. I sold off the TM stuff and picked up the stuff in my signature. I also went to a THP event where I got an XR driver. That prompted the purchase of an XR 3 wood and other shafts. I replaced the stock iron shafts with Recoils and hate them (for me/my swing) and will be at least changing shafts soon.

Each new iron set always were paired with matching wedges. The only constant has been my SeeMore FGP which I love (I did game an old brass putter for a week when I first started and an Odyssey DART for a month or so). I've gone through a bunch of grips and have been most happy with the GP MCC Plus 4 grips so I expect to stick with them.

So maybe two sets of each type of club per year. But early on I was learning what would/wouldn't make the game any easier for me.

I expect to have all of my iron shafts replaced in Dec and maybe the woods. I am going through another fitting then.

I just updated every club except my putter since my 'old' clubs hadn't been used while I was at my last duty station. Necessary? Probably not, but I wanted to get back into the swing of things with more current equipment. The total cost for the last round of upgrades (driver, 3W, 3H, irons, wedges) was around $1500ish. Now that I have the upgrades I wanted, I won't be changing anything out unless something breaks. At least that's what I'm telling myself now!

Last edited:
I typically change every 2-3 years. This year alone I changed clubs what seemed like every other week and it killed my game. With the possible exception of driver, next year everything will stay the same so I can get some consistency with my game again.

Yep, there's always a honeymoon period with new sticks. It's hard to keep the game steady when we're changing sticks every so often.

Everything in the the bag (including the bag) is 2 years old with the exception of one wedge. I swapped out my 52 for a 50 to tighten up gap after pw. May pick up a GBB over the winter when they're cheap. Also need to replace grip on putter asap.

I haven't changed anything in over two years and that was the addition of a used hybrid. I like to have the consistency and not having to start over with new clubs every few weeks/months. You could also read into that as I have to keep the same gear because of other expenses, I haven't had the money to change anything. Even if I do change (which I'm hoping to change a few things next year), I do extensive research and testing so I'm sure I get what I want and not be looking for something better in a few months.

I played this entire season with one set of irons, and I'm thankful that I did. So much so that I'm struggling with whether or not I want to go get fit for new irons, or put all my focus on more lessons and get down into the upper 80's/low 90's consistently before swapping them out. I used the same putter all season as well, and saw that stat get a lot better. Last year I used 3 sets of irons.

Driver, on the other hand... what a rotating cast. I went through 4 this season (used one of them twice) and the one I have now I picked up as a throw-in on a trade to even things out. Little did I know how well I'd hit it and how much confidence it would give me off the tee once I started playing it regularly.

I have an older 54* TM Rac wedge that I don't ever want to part with. I don't know why, but it's my favorite club out of all of them and I can hit a lot of different shots with it around the green. Picked that one up 2 years ago as my first "real" wedge and I don't see it leaving anytime soon.

I've done better than normal this year at keeping my bag static. I've switched drivers twice, my FW once, and have two new wedges at the house for Christmas. I think that is it, and I'm not expecting wholesale changes next year either. I love my Apexes and X2Hot Hybrids, so it would take something pretty special to knock either of those out of the bag.

There was less buying and experimenting this year, but I still ended up getting a new driver (new to me picked up used off ebay and shafted it up with something I already owned), a 3w, bag (replacing one that was 10 years old), and a bought a wedge. In terms of next year, I don't foresee myself replacing my driver, 3w or irons. If I replace anything, I could see it being my putter or wedges, as they are getting a bit worn down.

Now this is impressive. I think we can cobble up 3 or 4 extra golf sets with this. I was tempted to subtitle the thread "Club Ho Confessional" but I wussed out.
Oh for sure. One of those is a full bag of clubs from the THP Legacy. The rest are things I've played around with trying to find the right clubs for me.

I had been gaming the same clubs for about 15 years until earlier this year when I sold them. I then picked up the Srixon Z545 irons and I must say, could be another 15 years before I change them. But that's not reality anymore since I found this site. I have become addictive to the game again and want to try and buy clubs all the time. I am at the point where I think I'm set for at least a year or two. Love my driver, hybrids and wedges too.

Average about one club or less a year. Ill change when something gets jacked up, need to fill a need like a yardage gap or ball flight, or technology is noticeably different like adjustable woods and hybrids.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Usually I get worried if I'm not changing my irons at least once....lol.

This year was pretty tame. I played 3 sets of irons, 2 drivers, 1 3 wood, 2 hybrids, changed wedges once, and gamed 4 putters.

See signature. All of that happened this year. The only clubs I bought this year were:

1 putter
3 wedges
1 fw wood

I have slowed down quite a bit. Comfortable with my set up and didnt change one club in 2015 except for the putter.

I'm sure one day I will get the itch to make a change but other priorities have come up so I dont try to spend tons of money on equipment these days.

Back