Second guessing my Fitter/Fitting options

fistfullofbeer

Akshay ("Ak" + "Shay")
Reaction score
Handicap
20's
If you have a choice between an experienced and trusted fitter with limited options versus a Golftec/CC (or chain retail store) with many many more combinations/options, which way would you guys lean?

The fitter is one I have used in the past (once). It was my first iron fitting and she did a great job with fitting my G30 irons for me. It was 3 years back and I have learnt a crap load more about golf (in general) since then. The shop that she works in (also owns along with her husband) is a midsize retail golf store but I know they will not have the number of options that a Golftec or Club champion will offer. This is making me second guess going to them for a fitting. I want to be loyal to them and give local stores business but at the same time I don't want to get 'shortchanged' in the fitting because of limited shaft/head options.

What do you guys think? Trust the fitter I know or gamble on a Golftec/CC?

Thanks.

I guess it would completely depend on the fitter at the other places mentioned. The question is posed as if those places are offering a fitter that is less qualified, and I am not sure that is the case.
Although I would add the the choices at GolfTec can be pretty limited too (at least in comparison to some others).

Do you have an idea of what brand you want to be fit in to? Reason I ask, is because you can probably get there and see what they have available for fitting purposes, and if it's a brand/style you are considering, there is no reason to second guess it. So if you are interested in PING and they carry a PING cart, you should be fine. Will they have every combination known to man that you can try at CC, no, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a lesser fitting IMO.

While options are great they only are great if golfers understand not that every club option out there is for them. Case in point, my recent fitting was at a world class facility; almost every shaft option I could want, multiple heads of the same model as well Iron/wedge shafts galore. I however only used about 1/8 of the selection because the rest didn’t “fit” what I was looking for. Limited options isn’t the best option but if she is more than capable of showing you gains using what’s available in store and you’re happy with that then that’s all that matters. If after the fitting you feel doubt or hesitation then you should go with a bigger facility but odds are you won’t. There’s a difference between tinkering and a fitting. When you tinker you try stuff just to try stuff and gain experience. A fitting is supposed to help you all around feel better about your game and show improvement on course over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it would completely depend on the fitter at the other places mentioned. The question is posed as if those places are offering a fitter that is less qualified, and I am not sure that is the case.
Although I would add the the choices at GolfTec can be pretty limited too (at least in comparison to some others).

No, that was not my intent at all. My question was meant to be a choice between a known quantity vs an unknown i.e the fitter. While people have had great experiences at both CC and Golftec, there are some people who have walked away unsatisfied and unhappy. In the end it does come back to the fitter more than anything else (based on reading about numerous experiences on this site and others). If I knew a fitter at CC/Golftec already and had trust in them, this would really not be much of a question.

That is a really tough call. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in any fitting that doesn't allow you to hit outdoors to actually see the shape and flight of your ball. That, to me, is one of the most important components of a fitting.

With things like Titleist Thursday and demo days popping up everywhere, I don't think you should ever short change the opportunity to gain knowledge on a 'best-for-you' setup.

Here is a thought. I like helping local small businesses (since I am one), so you could weed through the larger options and then get it down to a few shaft/club heads that seem to be a good fit. Then see if your local fitter has them and go through the process there to fine tune it out. That would net you the best of both worlds. I would agree with JB that you should not assume that the bib box stores are less qualified to fit you, but if it is a preference, as you stated, to support the local shop i can get behind that!

That is a really tough call. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in any fitting that doesn't allow you to hit outdoors to actually see the shape and flight of your ball. That, to me, is one of the most important components of a fitting.

With things like Titleist Thursday and demo days popping up everywhere, I don't think you should ever short change the opportunity to gain knowledge on a 'best-for-you' setup.

I'm the same way. As many good things that have been said by others who have done CC or sme other similar model indoor fittings I much prefer an outdoor fitting to see actual ball flight and the changes to it after tweaks in fitting setup and whether it suits my eye. Can't really get a good feel for that.

Titleist Thursday and demo day season are great because you can usually get a pretty good fitter with plenty of options as well as potentially compare to other brands the same day or find one that offers the brand you are interested in.

If you have a choice between an experienced and trusted fitter with limited options versus a Golftec/CC (or chain retail store) with many many more combinations/options, which way would you guys lean?

The fitter is one I have used in the past (once). It was my first iron fitting and she did a great job with fitting my G30 irons for me. It was 3 years back and I have learnt a crap load more about golf (in general) since then. The shop that she works in (also owns along with her husband) is a midsize retail golf store but I know they will not have the number of options that a Golftec or Club champion will offer. This is making me second guess going to them for a fitting. I want to be loyal to them and give local stores business but at the same time I don't want to get 'shortchanged' in the fitting because of limited shaft/head options.

What do you guys think? Trust the fitter I know or gamble on a Golftec/CC?

Thanks.
I was not impressed by by Golftec fitting personally. They did not have a huge selection either. I've heard nothing but good things about CC.

You need to trust your fitter so the relationship aspect is perfect. You could always ask your fitter up front what numbers they want to see in a proper fitting for you. If with the combinations they have they are unable to get the numbers they want it might be time to go to a CC /other place to get fit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was not impressed by by Golftec fitting personally. They did not have a huge selection either. I've heard nothing but good things about CC.

You need to trust your fitter so the relationship aspect is perfect. You could always ask your fitter up front what numbers they want to see in a proper fitting for you. If with the combinations they have they are unable to get the numbers they want it might be time to go to a CC /other place to get fit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Does seem like CC is a better option than Golftec? My biggest concern with CC is that I am on a budget, and I have read that in some cases their recommendations (specially shaft) can be considerably expensive.

fistfullofbeer

Just sent you a PM but not sure if it went thru. Let me know if you got it.

fistfullofbeer

Just sent you a PM but not sure if it went thru. Let me know if you got it.

Got it and replied back. Thanks!

Does seem like CC is a better option than Golftec? My biggest concern with CC is that I am on a budget, and I have read that in some cases their recommendations (specially shaft) can be considerably expensive.

They are extremely pricey IF you buy from them as they buy the heads (usually at full club cost) plus the cost of the shafts (and they only deal with real deal shafts) plus the cost of the Grip and assembly. . No stock option shafts either.

However you are not obligated to purchase. You could source whatever they fit you into and buy cheaper and assemble yourself or a local shop.

I sent Club Champion a hypothetical question recently. If they fit me into Cleveland Launcher irons with KBS Tour shaft how much it would cost. They quoted me $155 per club. The KBS is an upgrade option through Cleveland and you can buy the same club for $108 each on TGW.com.

They did tell me I could buy through TGW and Club Champion would check the lies and lofts etc. I’m sure at a cost.

Not trying to sway you one way or another just providing you some pricing to think about.

I went with the experienced fitter with limited options and although I thought he was good, the limited options were just that, limited. I bought the CF16 which when I hit them felt great. Then came the fitting and everything came unglued. I was fit into a +1/2" shaft and 2* up. Come to find out that the fitter I thought was good turned out to be not so good. I went back because things weren't right, and he did adjust them to 1*up and kept the length the same. Still don't feel quite right because when I picked them up they still looked like they were up 2* but he claims otherwise. After all of this, I'm scheduled for a fitting with CC in Nashville (just opened-up) in April. The have a 1/2 price special on a full bag fitting which I'm booked for. Hopefully all is not a lost cause because I really like these clubs.

I went with the experienced fitter with limited options and although I thought he was good, the limited options were just that, limited. I bought the CF16 which when I hit them felt great. Then came the fitting and everything came unglued. I was fit into a +1/2" shaft and 2* up. Come to find out that the fitter I thought was good turned out to be not so good. I went back because things weren't right, and he did adjust them to 1*up and kept the length the same. Still don't feel quite right because when I picked them up they still looked like they were up 2* but he claims otherwise. After all of this, I'm scheduled for a fitting with CC in Nashville (just opened-up) in April. The have a 1/2 price special on a full bag fitting which I'm booked for. Hopefully all is not a lost cause because I really like these clubs.

That does suck. Hopefully your CC fitting is a much better experience.

Honestly, given the lack of consistency in my day-to-day swing, my biggest fear is that whatever swing worked on the fitting day may not work the next day. Its unfortunate that the only fitter that I have a relationship with and really trust (Pro at the local club where I am a member) only carries Taylormade and Pings in the Pro Shop. For my fitting earlier this week (irons) I went to the local store (one mentioned in my first post) which has slightly more options but I knew before I was going in that it was not going to have the options of a Club Champion, or even a Golftec. The experience was pretty decent and I will see how the Rogue Irons I was fitted into work out.

I am 100% certain that my next fitting (whenever it happens) is going to be at a Golftec or CC. If for nothing else but experiencing how they do their fittings.

Fitters are not always right. I have been fitted twice in my life, once at 25 and again at 30. Fitted by a Ping/TM tech both times for stiff flex sets of the G15 and i15 respectively. I'm 5'3 which is why I got fitted in the first place. I'm now 36 and I swing a standard set of regular flex Burner 2.0s far better than my fitter. I was also fitted for a driver back then too but I insisted that I hit a 3 wood much better. In the end, I say go with a standard set and figure out where your game is. There is zero point in getting fitted if your game doesn't justify it. If you have a current set of standard clubs ask yourself what would getting fitted Do? Don't just get fitted to get fitted. How's your ball flight? How's your contact? Etc.

That does suck. Hopefully your CC fitting is a much better experience.

Honestly, given the lack of consistency in my day-to-day swing, my biggest fear is that whatever swing worked on the fitting day may not work the next day. Its unfortunate that the only fitter that I have a relationship with and really trust (Pro at the local club where I am a member) only carries Taylormade and Pings in the Pro Shop. For my fitting earlier this week (irons) I went to the local store (one mentioned in my first post) which has slightly more options but I knew before I was going in that it was not going to have the options of a Club Champion, or even a Golftec. The experience was pretty decent and I will see how the Rogue Irons I was fitted into work out.

I am 100% certain that my next fitting (whenever it happens) is going to be at a Golftec or CC. If for nothing else but experiencing how they do their fittings.

I had a great experience at CC when I went for a full bag fitting (with 50% off deal!). My swing got a little sideways with the 6i and the driver during the session (plus I suck at hitting driver indoors..and often outdoors too) so they had me come back for an hour and a half (at no extra charge) to work on that. I was impressed with that.

In my experience...
...Going to a Club Champion fitter is not a gamble. They have very high standards and rock solid training and processes for their fitters.
...Going to a Golf Galaxy fitter is a gamble. I have not had a good experience with them and in my experience, they do NOT have many shaft options either. Certainly not anywhere near the options that Club Champion has.

The fitter you used before is harder to pin down as I don't know them. But this might help. You said 3 years ago you got fitted for your Ping G30 irons and thought they did a great job. If you went in there already having selected the G30 heads, what did they do? Adjust lie, loft, try different shafts, how many, length, swing weight? If they didn't do all the above, then maybe they aren't as good as you thought they were, because you should expect all the above. If they did, that's an important point in their favor.

Also, what are you getting fitted for this time around?

Ever got fitted twice ??? To get a second opinion.
Is it a science or a sales job ?

I got fitted for my set, but then had someone throw my confidence off by questioning it (on the course)

Went to a rival company and they validated that I was all good :) ...

Ultimately fitting is about getting the right config (length, weight, shaft flex, lie angles) not the right brand. The brand/club choice is really up to personal preference and feel.

Like a tailored suit, but a bit more complicated due to the options and tech

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Back