Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

For those interested in a basic Heavenwood/Divine9 comparison---

15-0392_GBBHW_vs_D9_FinalWeb.jpeg

This one will likely be in my bag here in a month. I really don't know how I can not go that way with how well I hit Ddec's this past weekend.

Who am I kidding. Its not a likely, its a will.

HW and D9 in the bag? Hell yes.

Who am I kidding. Its not a likely, its a will.

HW and D9 in the bag? Hell yes.
Most likely me too. With a apex 4 hybrid too. No 5 iron required.

Most likely me too. With a apex 4 hybrid too. No 5 iron required.

Yep, and honestly, I may double up on the hybo/D9 loft with both and just not carry a 3w. So, D/HW/D9/H/H/6-AW

Will not D9 be equivalent to a 4h at 22* ? This club is absolute one to ponder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was for me this weekend on the greens I hit it into.

Just curious for comparison, what are you seeing for distance gap between the HW and D9?

(everyone's distances will be different, just curious what sort of gapping you are seeing).

Just curious for comparison, what are you seeing for distance gap between the HW and D9?

(everyone's distances will be different, just curious what sort of gapping you are seeing).

About 20 yards for me off the deck. Didn't compare it off the tee. My HW is 1* strong though and its not really fair because I hit it better than any club I have ever owned.

Yep, and honestly, I may double up on the hybo/D9 loft with both and just not carry a 3w. So, D/HW/D9/H/H/6-AW

This is my biggest question because I hit the 3W well off the tee, but am hit or miss from the deck.

The HW on the other hand I'm better in both areas and with the adjustable loft I can get close to my 3W distance...

For me its slightly shorter, but much higher flight.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

I'm pondering the 9

Where are the heave wood and D9 fitting into your bags gap wise?

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

About 20 yards for me off the deck. Didn't compare it off the tee. My HW is 1* strong though and its not really fair because I hit it better than any club I have ever owned.

I hit my HW better as well and have no idea why, but this club has been great for me.

I have the GBB 3W and rarely hit it because the HW is so much more consistent for me.

I find the above to be true.

In my experience, the XR 22 Hy flights lower and I find it more accurate. The D9 in a KK Silver is a fun club, high but not too high, and easy off the deck.

For me, they sub for the 4i.

In my experience, the XR 22 Hy flights lower and I find it more accurate. The D9 in a KK Silver is a fun club, high but not too high, and easy off the deck.

Which one do you think you'd bag in a non testing round ?

That's how I am too. I find my 22 goes a little farther(not a ton) and flights lower. I have no problems carrying both at the same time. D9 is a high flyer that I quite enjoy.

That's how I am too. I find my 22 goes a little farther(not a ton) and flights lower. I have no problems carrying both at the same time. D9 is a high flyer that I quite enjoy.

And you were outstanding with it in a group of THPers less than 2 weeks ago.

And you were outstanding with it in a group of THPers less than 2 weeks ago.

Just so damn easy to hit. The hit it bad twice that I can recall. One time I tried to lift the ball, which doesn't need to be done, and the other I caught thin and hit the ball in to the dagobah system behind one of the greens on Las Colinas. 2 shots really come in to mind though, one over that tree on the right side of number 3 at El Campeon, and the other up and over a bunch of trees later on in the round from the wrong fairway. Trust it and it's a good club to have. It's made me rethink some things.

Which one do you think you'd bag in a non testing round ?

Most relevant answer is that it depends on whether you are discussing stock clubs, and what you want from the club

If you choose off the rack, I would have more confidence in the 4H because I hit a high ball at the moment, and value accuracy and control; the added distance of the D9 may not be there, and the D9 in a stock shaft for players with even moderate speed may spin and gain too much height - depends on your swing.

In general, if you need carry and height, I would consider the D9 in another shaft choice (other than stock) and shorter shaft length. I could see going an inch shorter than standard with a 75+ gram shaft and getting control and accuracy along with height. Once again, it depends on your swing.

In fact, my D9 is already .5 inches less than stock length in a KK Silver 60 Shaft (67g), and after actual play and comparison, I may cut another .5 inches if needed. I just wish Callaway would stick with a family of shafts in a no upcharge mode, so we could choose between KK Silver 60 or 70 or 80.

Your choice also depends on the course and conditions -- if you need to get over trees or want assured carry in damp conditions -- go with a D9 in a stock/custom setup - dependent on your swing.

My issue is lack of playing time -- too many deadlines at the moment. So I get out a couple of times per week at the range before dark. I apologize for not giving you more.

Last edited:
I played the D9 with the stock shaft in a flex softer than I ever would and didn't have any issues at all even at my faster SS. Goes to show there are no absolutes on what fits/meshes with what swing speed in terms of launch and/or spin.

Its been on my mind a ton, but I'm pretty freaking positive I'm putting one of these gems in the bag in 3 weeks. I keep thinking about that shot at the staff retreat into 18. So much yes.

So, it's been a little over a month since you said you'd be ordering one ... well, did you pull the trigger or not? :)

FYI to all the posters here, I ordered my D9 on Monday, and am hoping to see it delivered to my door sometime between Xmas and New Year's ... can't wait!

Mike
MPM1960

Awwwwww yeahhhh
fbcfc10546b8e98f6285675c2dcffb96.jpg

Back